GRE analytical writing

GeoMex

Hello everyone,

I took the GRE last year, I got 156 and 155, not sure which one in which section, and got 3.0 in the analytical writing section.

I'm going to apply (international applier) to the Graduate program in the UT and in Colorado School of Mines for the next year, sponsored by my company and with almost 5 years of experience to the moment when I start, according to what they (UT staff) told me, the average GRE score of the students that got in is 300, I know that the average might be higher in CSM, specially in the math section, so I was wondering how important is the score of the AW, to just leave it like that or re-take the test and improve my scores overall.

Also, if any of you have some examples of the GRE analytical writing that I could use to practice, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

You are sponsored by a company, so that will help, but IMO those scores are not competitive. you should want a 4 or a 4.5 minimum. 

Yeah, I guess a 4.5 would do, and improving the other sections too.

Thanks.

Besides, since you have 5 years' working experience and sponsored by your company, I think Rice professional master program is more appropriate for you. Also be aware that, for UT and CSM, the competition is really fierce.

Your analytic writing score isn't going to kill your application. I'd focus on making your quant score better first - whether it's the 155 or 156. 160+ish is where you'll want to be for the middle of the pack (i.e. not have your GRE scores be a factor). If you want your GRE to be one of the strong points of your app, then you'll need to bump both by ~10pts. As long as your verbal isn't terrible - which it isn't - that adcom will probably look right passed that score and it'll be a non-factor.

Basically, if you're stressing about the AW section..don't. 

I don't think schools like UT care much about GRE scores

I would say the most important part of the process at a place like CSM or UT is connecting with the potential advisor since they are the ones plucking your name out of the massive pile of applicants.