Reapplying for the 2015 cycle...

So, after the heartbreak of no acceptances (though the wait list was better than outright rejection...), I'm already starting to consider the next round of applications.  I'm stuck locally, so I have two options for an English PhD. Limiting, I know.

I'm hoping to be able to chat with others...our own little grad cafe cohort...in preparation for next season. I know we have the advice for applicants thread, but I figured this could be a sounding board for SOP, research goals, General panic...

As for me, I'm reconsidering my research goals entirely to more align with fit...and the "New" focus is just another aspect of the field that I've been interested in.

So, who's with me in starting up a new sounding board?

I applied locally and was shut down this year too. I was tied to my region by finances and family. Three rejections and one waitlist that never panned out.

For the next application season, I'm planning to apply to schools all over the country. I've had my eye on several programs. I'm also planning to retake the GREs and spend more time with my SoP.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who got shut out this year.

Hey MM! I know I've said this before, but I'd really encourage you to take advantage of your proximity to your top choice schools over the next few months. UMD accepted four of its MA students; they are all brilliant, but I imagine having letters of rec from the faculty here probably helped them as well. Go to lectures, ask if you can sit in on a seminar, make yourself known! I think it's wise you are applying widely next year, but I also think that if you couple that with making an impression on the local universities, you'll have great success next year. Feel free to PM me if you are attending an event at UMD; if I am also attending, we can meet up beforehand and I can introduce you to people at the event (though, unfortunately, I don't know any of the medieval faculty). 

Though I was lucky enough to get a few acceptances, I turned them down and decided to do a second MA in England next year. It’s a one-year program, so I’ll also be reapplying in the Fall :) Hello, cohort friends. We shall battle the 2015 season together. 

Hey MM! I know I've said this before, but I'd really encourage you to take advantage of your proximity to your top choice schools over the next few months. UMD accepted four of its MA students; they are all brilliant, but I imagine having letters of rec from the faculty here probably helped them as well. Go to lectures, ask if you can sit in on a seminar, make yourself known! I think it's wise you are applying widely next year, but I also think that if you couple that with making an impression on the local universities, you'll have great success next year. Feel free to PM me if you are attending an event at UMD; if I am also attending, we can meet up beforehand and I can introduce you to people at the event (though, unfortunately, I don't know any of the medieval faculty). 

Pro: Thank you! I'm actually planning to attend a conference at UMD in the fall. ('Knowing Nature' - http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/2014/03/knowing-nature-in-medieval-early-modern.html ) I definitely want to look into attending more local events and maybe auditing a class. 

I'll also be retaking my GREs and attempting to contact a few POIs from the two local universities. I'm still location bound, so two again for next year. 

I'm working on making my research more of a fit, so...a lot of work to do. 

We can do this! ...right? 

Pro: Thank you! I'm actually planning to attend a conference at UMD in the fall. ('Knowing Nature' - http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/2014/03/knowing-nature-in-medieval-early-modern.html ) I definitely want to look into attending more local events and maybe auditing a class. 

Awesome! I just PM'ed you my contact info for when you visit UMD. 

Hi fellas -- I'll probably throw my hat into the ring again too. Already trying to think of what I can do to clarify my approach, add to my SOP. I'm also somewhat limited by distance.

"Once more unto the breech, dear friends, once more"

I'm right there with you. I am limited to 3 schools.  This year I got a wait list and two unfunded acceptances.  My wait list is my dream school.  Proflorax, the DGS at my dream school told me to let her know if I visited this fall.  Do you know if and how to go about this (is it generally a good idea to visit . . .).  I am two hours from the school, so I just can't pop in.  I'm feeling pretty down, but I think that timing will work out the best for my family if I don't start until Fall 2015.  Also, I wanted to see what you guys thought about changing my research goals a bit.  Is this looked down on if they remember you and your app from the previous season? 

Edited by crazyhappy

Another important thing to consider is how to get as much information as possible out of the departments that rejected, wait listed, and admitted you without funding this year: consider it an application autopsy. While some programs maintain strict policies about not discussing applications, others will have a kind DGS or head of the ad comm who is able to give you a sense of how your application was received by the committee and what your strengths and weaknesses may have been--this is some of the best feedback you can get your hands on.

It will be helpful in terms of finding out where to target your efforts in the coming months--should you be thinking of using a different writing sample? was your proposed research solid but in need of some fine-tuning? is it possible that your GRE scores just didn't make the cutoff? is there a conference/publication/class that, if added to your CV, will make a huge difference? Additionally, in reaching out you'll be forging relationships with faculty at the programs you'll be reapplying to in a few months; if you can be positive and professional it will create a lasting impression that can only help you next time your application comes across their desks. Plus, you can always sneak a bit of bonus rhetoric into these phone or email exchanges, reiterating that, though you were naturally hoping for a better outcome this season, University X remains your top choice and you're hoping you can learn from this year in order to submit the most polished application possible in the fall. 

Ultimately, having applied once will give you a distinct advantage in many respects, so the key is to figure out which parts of your application need an overhaul and which ones you can keep mostly as is (therefore saving time and energy). A postmortem from your target audience cannot be anything but useful guidance as you embark upon round two.

I'm so glad to hear that changing your research focus is actually a good thing.  

For whatever reason, my quotes aren't working...but Staircase, thank you for the advice overall. That pretty much describes my steps for this coming season.  Which has officially started with some GRE studying and restructuring of my research goals.

When would be the best time to contact the department about the application? I'm figuring that I would wait a little bit for things in the department to settle down from the hectic application process.  Logical? 

I'm so glad to hear that changing your research focus is actually a good thing.  

For whatever reason, my quotes aren't working...but Staircase, thank you for the advice overall. That pretty much describes my steps for this coming season.  Which has officially started with some GRE studying and restructuring of my research goals.

When would be the best time to contact the department about the application? I'm figuring that I would wait a little bit for things in the department to settle down from the hectic application process.  Logical? 

I'd find some balance between striking while things are still fresh in their memories (particularly if you were on wait lists and your application was recently reviewed) while also not harassing them too soon--maybe next week? 

I'd find some balance between striking while things are still fresh in their memories (particularly if you were on wait lists and your application was recently reviewed) while also not harassing them too soon--maybe next week? 

That sounds like a smart plan. Next week it is...

So I'm giving some thought to working through a graduate certificate in a more specialized field- women and gender studies. As I'm not considering shifting my PhD research goals to align more with this field, I think it might be beneficial when reapplying next cycle.

It would only be 4 classes, I'd be enjoying what I was learning about, and I think it would help in terms of the application process.

Thoughts?

Writer Tiger, I have one. I am glad I did it; I learned a ton, and I use a lot of the information in all of my research.

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and with this season turning out not so stellar, I think this would be the perfect chance. Now to figure out how to afford it. 

Crazy, I already have the MA, so this would be in addition. A "get back on the horse" mentality for me.

As it is only 4 classes, I could get it done in a semester. So out of pocket wouldn't necessarily be terrible. 

Are certificates typically only 4-6 courses long?