CU Boulder

I decided on CU as well! During the open house weekend, I went around town and talked to my friend who went to CU for her undergrad. I've decided to focus my search directly east of campus and to the south east. Ideally I want to be within a 15 minute walk of the SLHS building. I loved the Frasier Meadows area, as well as East Park. There are some town homes and single family home rentals there.

I was warned by a few people in Boulder that the area around the Hill, to the west of campus, can get really loud at night because of all the parties. I'd prefer somewhere more quiet.

One of the things my friend mentioned was that there was significant water damage (due to the flooding last year) to a lot of the garden level apartments along the creek and to be extra careful when looking at apartments in that area, to make sure they were cleaned properly.

Current students said they had luck with Ralphie's List so I am waiting to get my access to that and post a roommate ad. There does seem to be quite a bit of stuff on Craigslist as well but since I am coming with my dog, I want to make sure I have a really good fit with roommates and would prefer to live with other graduate students.

I will definitely check all those areas out, thanks! I was hoping to look after the open house but unfortunately I couldn't. So I'm planning on taking a trip up there at the end of May. Do you know how long it takes before we can access Ralphie's list? I know that paperwork can take awhile to process but one of the students I talked to at the open house said that apartments get leased very quickly!

I don't know how long! One of the current students said that someone might let us use their account to get on Ralphie's List to check things out but I haven't contacted them to ask if that was really true. I might send an email into Raul to ask.

Have you looked at the on campus graduate housing? What did you think of it?

I looked at some of the graduate student apartment complexes online and I thought they looked pretty nice and were reasonably priced. But one of the complexes, Bear Creek, received overwhelmingly negative reviews so I'm a little unsure now. It would be really nice to get a house a break away from apartment living but I'm not sure if that's possible without roommates and I'm bringing my cat with me so I'm really hopeful something will work out!  

There seems to be lots of cat friendly housing. I've never done apartment/house hunting from a distance so the whole thing seems a little scary. I can't move there until the end of June or early July so I'm hoping there will still be apartments or houses available then. 

• 10 months later...

I just got accepted to CU Boulder yesterday and am considering attending. I read something on Reddit's SLP forum about the program's administration being disorganized. Can any current or former students comment on this? It concerns me, but I also don't want to base any judgments on a couple people's opinions. I would love to hear any first-hand accounts about the program from students who attend. I'm also interested to hear about how clinical placements work at CU Boulder. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how funding works for CU? The website says that funding letters go with decision letters, and there is no additional application but I haven't seen anyone mention any funding yet. 

It might be that they just don't give a lot of funding. On ASHA EdFind it says that out of 76 admission offers, only 7 of them were with funding. Having said that, I certainly hope finding info is to come! ;)

Are you able to get in state tuition through the western states agreement?

I just got accepted to CU Boulder yesterday and am considering attending. I read something on Reddit's SLP forum about the program's administration being disorganized. Can any current or former students comment on this? It concerns me, but I also don't want to base any judgments on a couple people's opinions. I would love to hear any first-hand accounts about the program from students who attend. I'm also interested to hear about how clinical placements work at CU Boulder. Thanks in advance!

I read that too and have the same question! Would love to know if you find out anything new. 

It might be that they just don't give a lot of funding. On ASHA EdFind it says that out of 76 admission offers, only 7 of them were with funding. Having said that, I certainly hope finding info is to come! ;)

Are you able to get in state tuition through the western states agreement?

No, I'm from Kansas so I'm just one state off of what's considered "western" haha. Ah well. 

In regards to the Boulder program being disorganized... I live in Denver and have heard the same thing, no concrete examples with the grad program itself, just the word on the street around here. I went through Boulder online to do my leveling and my personal experience was not great... it seemed like it was always haphazard, I would send in documents they needed and they would lose them and I'd have to send again, etc. I also tried to arrange some observations at their onsite clinic and called/emailed but never heard back. Again that was just my experience in their online leveling program, I'm not a grad student there.

I thought I'd poke my head in here because I heard that acceptances went out this week. Congratulations if you were accepted or wait-listed because I heard there were over 700 applicants this year! I'd definitely encourage people to attend the open house if you can to get a sense for the program. I did that last year and it really gave me a better feel for the program and faculty. Those negative reviews were around when I was applying as well, and I didn't want to trust them since it was only 2 negative comments out of many of students. I love our program but I can't compare it to others because this is the only one with which I have experience. I find the research faculty extremely knowledgable and the clinicial faculty very supportive. I do think that because it is a big research program, there are probably some differences between a more clinically focused program.

I do also know that the department was very much affected by the flood two years ago so I'm not sure if that played a factor into the feelings of if being not well organized, but everything has recovered since then and there is a freshly remodeled clinic as a result! I do think the department doesn't coddle or hand hold but that isn't to say they aren't supportive. I feel like I'm being taught to think on my feet, problem solve, and advocate for myself, which are incrediably important professional skills.  I do think the most important support you are going to get comes from your cohort and we have a great group of students here currently so I would definitely encourage you to come check out the program, if you can, to see if you think it would be a good fit for you.

Feel free to message me if you have other more specific questions, and congratulations again!

Edited by S_Colorado

S_Colorado, thanks for adding your thoughts! Do you feel that the department's administration is disorganized? Or is that something that's improved in the past couple years? Does the program have a good reputation in the area (so that companies want to hire recent grads and take students for externships)?

We definitely are hearing of people out on externships that are already getting job offers so that is awesome! I believe that the entire graduating class last year was fully employed by September. I haven't had a problem with things being disorganized. There is a wonderful graduate program assistant who has been there for a little over a year now and they are amazing at getting things done in terms of paper work, enrollement, and such. The center assistant for the clinic is very organized as well. The students now are picking their externships for next winter so everything is planned far ahead and there are weekly meetings to make sure people are on track.

Hey everyone,

I've been accepted to CU Boulder, and being an international student I need all the help and info i can get! Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the open house, so for everyone who does get to attend it...a summary would be really helpful :)

Does anyone know how the 2 summer intensive courses are charged? Are they charged the regular summer tuition rate even though they're only 2 weeks long? I just looked at the tuition rate and it says 6 hours would cost $8000...

Has anyone made up their mind to go to Boulder? I am still looking for more information on their program. Unfortunately can't make the open house and they have been kind of slow about responding to emails.

Has anyone made up their mind to go to Boulder? I am still looking for more information on their program. Unfortunately can't make the open house and they have been kind of slow about responding to emails.

Waiting for responses to my email too. Haven't decided yet and looking for more information too.  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...