HESA Applicants Fall 2015

JBums1028

Hey folks.

Just wanted to wish y'all good luck on the journey this year.  I was in your shoes last year.  If any of you want to talk, have someone read a personal statement, or anything really....let me know and I'll be more than happy to help however I can.  Lots of people here helped me last year, and I'd love to return the favor.

Best of luck!

Hey folks.

Just wanted to wish y'all good luck on the journey this year.  I was in your shoes last year.  If any of you want to talk, have someone read a personal statement, or anything really....let me know and I'll be more than happy to help however I can.  Lots of people here helped me last year, and I'd love to return the favor.

Best of luck!

Hey mrsmithut! Which program did you end up picking?

Hey JBums!  I am attending Mississippi State's program.  Loving it here!

Where are you looking to apply this year?

I'm trying to keep the reapplication process pretty simple. I've deferred at Grand Valley, MSU, and Eastern Mich. I'm adding Kent State and Western Mich for a total of five schools. I feel like that's a pretty reasonable number to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! This is my first post. I'm applying for HESA this year for fall'15

These are the schools I'm looking into maybe my list is too long

1. University of Connecticut

2. University of Rochester

3. Michigan State University

4. Syracuse University

5. New York University

6. Indiana State University

7. Bridgeport University

8. University of Vermont

9. University of San Francisco

10. Western Michigan University

11. Eastern Michigan University

GPA:3:3

I've had experience with academic advising, financial aid and I currently work for student development (work with alumni)

I'm I aiming too high ?

Any suggestions will help. Please!

Hello everyone!

I am planning on applying to the following schools for next Fall:

University of Connecticut

University of Georgia

Indiana University

I am from the North Texas area so it will be a big change, but I am very excited about it!

A few questions:

1. If selected for an interview are you required to travel to do it in person?

2. Does anyone know of the value of a PPI evaluation for HESA programs? UGA grad application suggests it, but I wonder if it would be worth the time and effort.

Thank you for your help!

Hi, y'all! I'm a senior university student planning on applying to the following universities for Fall 2015:

Seattle University

University of Connecticut

Loyola Chicago

Syracuse University

I'm both excited and very nervous about the process! Here's hoping.

A few questions:

1. If selected for an interview are you required to travel to do it in person?

2. Does anyone know of the value of a PPI evaluation for HESA programs? UGA grad application suggests it, but I wonder if it would be worth the time and effort.

Thank you for your help!

From your list I know UConn requires an in person interview (unless they've changed their policy from last year). The others might allow a skype or phone interview instead, but it will depend on the program.

I personally think there are a lot of benefits to doing the in person interview, which is why I'm trying to avoid applying to programs with overlapping interview weekends. It gives you the opportunity to see the campus, interact with faculty and potential cohort mates. Seeing everything in person can also change your views on a program. What you thought was your top choice program might not be the best fit, where as a program that you weren't expecting to like ends up being a top contender.

Heads up on USF. My friend liked it, but she said there is ALOT of foreign students and obviously the Cost of Living is Xpensive AF. Also, even with the limited financial aid from assistantships, the tuition+fees is outrageous. I looked at it but couldn't see myself $30k+ in debt.... AFTER having a GA.

I heard EMU is a very rough neighborhood, just a heads up.

Heads up on USF. My friend liked it, but she said there is ALOT of foreign students and obviously the Cost of Living is Xpensive AF. Also, even with the limited financial aid from assistantships, the tuition+fees is outrageous. I looked at it but couldn't see myself $30k+ in debt.... AFTER having a GA.

I heard EMU is a very rough neighborhood, just a heads up.

Thanks! I'm actually cutting it down. And thanks for SFU, what do you think of University of Rochester ?

I don't know too much about the rigor of the program specifically. But I have two tidbits that may help.

1. The cost of the program is very high like any private school... but the pay for their assistantships is very low. You are looking well north of $50k in debt, and for a masters program? Not worth it IMO

2. One of my professors taught there. She liked the university itself; but left because the weather was way too cold. She said in the winters, the snow would reach the kneecaps. 

Hi MAC2809 are you referring to the University of Rochester? And I talked to a current student from U of Rochester I found it odd that she did not really mention anything about tuition and assistanships

Edited by RMP

Ya I am referring to UROCH,

here are some of the assistantships, notice how awful their monetary scheme is: http://rochester.edu/college/wcsa/graduatestudents

There are other colleges that offer good pay assisstantships and don't require the GRE. The only problem is that they are in god awful areas.

For example, University of the Pacific  gives its students a tuition waiver + a generous stipend. However, it is in Stockton,CA- which Forbes rated the most miserable city in the nation a fews years back. (For what its worth, I believe Detroit is the most miserable but w/e) 

Is your focus in student affairs? 

Yes my focus is Student Affairs and that's great to hear. I wasn't really looking at University of the Pacific but I'll look into it. and these are the colleges I'm looking at let me know what you think

1.     University of Connecticut-

2.     University of Rochester-

3.     Michigan State University-

4.     New York University-

5.     Indiana State University-

6.     Colorado State University

• 4 weeks later...

Three weeks until the first deadline...that came up quickly! If anyone wants to chat about their progress and just vent about their process so far, let's connect on social media. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one going through this HESA application process and my friends can only take so much of my borderline obsessive grad school application talk. 

I've sent in apps to Seattle U and Loyola Chicago. Still working on GA apps for both. Almost done with my app to UConn and Syracuse U. I'd love information from anyone with insider experience at any of these schools as well!

Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily my first one isn't due until Dec 15, so a little bit of extra time left!

I've sent in apps to Seattle U and Loyola Chicago. Still working on GA apps for both. Almost done with my app to UConn and Syracuse U. I'd love information from anyone with insider experience at any of these schools as well!

Facebook

I went to the interview weekend for UConn last year. Wasn't selected for a GA and decided not to reapply this year. If you have specific questions about how the interview weekend went or anything let me know! I'll do my best to help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily my first one isn't due until Dec 15, so a little bit of extra time left!

I went to the interview weekend for UConn last year. Wasn't selected for a GA and decided not to reapply this year. If you have specific questions about how the interview weekend went or anything let me know! I'll do my best to help :)

Hi JBums1028, I am interested in any information you can pass along about the UConn interview weekend!

First off, when did you receive an invitation to interview? I am anxious to hear so a rough estimate of when to expect to hear would be nice.

Secondly, how was the overall experience? Was there anything you felt you could have done to help your chances?

Third, as an interviewee are you expected to pay for airfare and accommodations?

Thank you!

Hi JBums1028, I am interested in any information you can pass along about the UConn interview weekend!

First off, when did you receive an invitation to interview? I am anxious to hear so a rough estimate of when to expect to hear would be nice.

Secondly, how was the overall experience? Was there anything you felt you could have done to help your chances?

Third, as an interviewee are you expected to pay for airfare and accommodations?

Thank you!

I'll message you the answers to your questions :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm late to the party and have already applied to 4/5 of my schools listed below:

UVM

North Carolina State University

Virginia Tech

UNC Greensboro

Appalachian State (not yet applied - still deciding whether I'm going to click submit or not)

Any info on interview invitation timelines, experience with the interview process, or just general experiences with the school would be awesome! I just got my first interview invitation from NC State a few days ago, so any info on what their recruitment weekend is like in particular would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by justabluedevil15

Has anyone gotten any acceptances yet? Just found out I got into Western Michigan today. They called to let me know before the holidays. Wasn't expecting it this early, especially since I'm still working on my application for Kent State. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten good news :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HEPhD13

Does anyone have premium access to the US News rankings? I was wondering where one of the programs I applied to ends up on there? Good luck to everyone!

HEPhD13--

I have the 2013 version of the magazine on my iPad (I thought I had 2014, as well, but I can't seem to find it).  In the version I have, there is an overall ranking of education programs (111 are ranked), and then there is a "top ten" (or so) by specialty.  It doesn't get more specific than that.  In case you're interested, though, here is 2013's Top Eleven for Higher Ed Administration (which is the specialty of interest to you):

1. Michigan (Ann Arbor)

2.  Michigan State

3.  UCLA

4.  Penn State (University Park)

5.  Vanderbilt

6.  UGA

6.  Penn

6.  USC

9.  Indiana (Bloomington)

10. Harvard

11.  Maryland (College Park) 

If I can find the 2014, I will post again.  In the meantime, hope this helps! 

Quick modification to my post above...I have posted the 2014 rankings; however, I think there is a more recent version.  The reason I say this is because on the overall ranking, Penn is listed as #7...but I am pretty sure that in the most recent US News rankings, Penn moved up to #5.