University Stiffing Interview Reimbursements

PsychSecret

Hoping someone may have some advice here. I interviewed for a Social Psych PhD program in late February. I was admitted to the Masters program but turned it down in favor of another school. I flew out for the interview and was told I'd be reimbursed for a portion of the flights. Since then, I have turned in my reimbursement documents (via email and mail) and followed up with the department now 5 times, both with the grad coordinator and my would-be POIs, and have gotten the silent treatment. No one will answer my emails. Any advice on how to proceed? Perhaps who to reach out to next, etc? I really feel like I'm being stiffed because I did not accept....

I would recommend calling the admin person in the department responsible for the reimbursements and getting an update. If they still refuse to talk to you, maybe check with the University Financial department to see if your file is there now.

The fact is that reimbursements, especially for non-school affiliated people, can take a really long time! If you submitted your receipts in early March, you will probably see a reimbursement around late April or early May. So, it is still within the timeframe where I would not yet assume the school is trying to deny you the money. But it has been an acceptably long time that you should be able to call and get an update. It is a bit strange that you have not heard anything back after 5 attempts to follow up (although they might have been really really busy?) Still, this is pretty unprofessional and maybe it's true that they are de-prioritizing you because you did not accept (which is bad).

Hopefully you will get an answer soon! Maybe it's stuck somewhere waiting for a signature and people forgot about it and a phone call can speed things along!

As others have said, a phone call is the way to go, ideally to somebody like a department secretary or grad coordinator who wouldn't conceivably be holding a grudge against you. No need to mention that you're not coming. "I submitted my receipts for a campus visit to [person] on [date]. I haven't heard back from them, so I'm calling to confirm that they're being processed and check on how long it might take to be reimbursed."

ETA: I was reimbursed just fine from three different places I turned down, so I don't think "rejected, still want money" is an unusual situation.

Edited by lewin

It is super nice they offered some sort of compensation.  I flew out to IL for an interview spent over $500 just on the flight and hotel to interview and be declined.  What a waste of $.

It is super nice they offered some sort of compensation.  I flew out to IL for an interview spent over $500 just on the flight and hotel to interview and be declined.  What a waste of $.

Most places don't reimburse you for interviews. After trying a little longer, you might just want to cut your losses and move on. At the end of the day, you were accepted into a program, and you can view this as money you invested in your career.