American to Canada: HELP!

I've just (as in, ten minutes ago) been offered admission to my first-choice program in British Columbia.  In the offer letter, they stipulate that in order to be placed for my September practicum, I need to provide proof of a study permit by June 15th.  If I can't do this, I'll have to complete my practicum the following September, adding another year onto my program.

I live in the Northeastern US and could conceivably get up to the border to apply for a study permit before June 15th.  My question is, can I apply for a study permit at the border, stay in the country for a long weekend, and then go back home to prepare for the move?  Or does the whole big move need to happen all at the same time?

I assume that you can do the former. However, I haven't gotten study permit for Canada, so I really have no clue.

I've just (as in, ten minutes ago) been offered admission to my first-choice program in British Columbia.  In the offer letter, they stipulate that in order to be placed for my September practicum, I need to provide proof of a study permit by June 15th.  If I can't do this, I'll have to complete my practicum the following September, adding another year onto my program.

I live in the Northeastern US and could conceivably get up to the border to apply for a study permit before June 15th.  My question is, can I apply for a study permit at the border, stay in the country for a long weekend, and then go back home to prepare for the move?  Or does the whole big move need to happen all at the same time?

I don't see how it would be an issue.  As long as you're able to articulate - even at a basic level - what you intend to do/visit, and how long you're going to be there (which, hell you've now got a visa in hand...) the Canucks I've dealt with are very easy-going about visitors.

You're in luck...you're not going to Quebec, so you'll def be able to get it in time. Just drive up and get it at the border, and make sure you have all of the required documents (passport, acceptance letter, proof of funding for the duration of your studies, etc.). Use the checklist on the CIC website as a guide: Study Permit Checklist and you'll be fine.

It doesn't have to be a one way trip. If it's a problem, which it shouldn't be, just show them the document indicating that you need your study permit by June 15th. Good luck!