Grad Courses in correspondence?!

Hi. As I am writing this, I realize how odd it seems to die for a phd at a good school then want to consider distant education. So... I started this phd and finished the past fall term then had to take a medical leave for a semester until next fall. During this time my partner on whose salary our family thrives had issues with his work and is looking to accept offers in a neighboribg city. We initially lived in that one and came to the current one for work and study. Things don't go as you plan.

My question, can i take the rest of my courses in correspondence? Basically, I am asking what is, if any, the best alternative to quitting my degree even if I become part time and loose funding?

I know, not very common question and I will appreciate your insights!

Thanks

Assuming that you are hoping to receive your degree from the university that you are currently enrolled in, this is something that you'll have to clear with them. My guess is that they will not be happy with the idea of a student not attending any classes (in person) and still being awarded a degree from them. Things could be easier once you're done with courses, but I can't believe they'll let you only do one semester in residence and then basically be gone for 4.5 years. I'd ask about possibilities of being away for some of the time, but I think it's good to be prepared for the possibility that you'll have to spend some time on campus in the next two years.

It will really depend on your program whether or not you can take courses by correspondence. Definitely check it out but you should also have a backup plan in mind if they say no so you can immediately start planning an alternative with them.

I've known people who have had similar circumstances as you (and at Canadian schools too). One potential solution might be to take an extra semester off if necessary, to adjust to the move and then move back to the city where your school is to do courses and fulfill any TA requirements etc. You might be able to work it out so that you only have to be on campus 3 or 4 days a week and then commute (finding a place to live in for these 3-4 days might be tough though). Or, maybe you can commute each day (but schedule all your on campus activities to be within these days). I know someone who commutes about 1.5 hours each way, three or four days per week, across the Canada-US border for their PhD program because their SO has a job where they live. 

Your signature says you applied for the SSHRC last year--not sure if you got it, but you are not able to hold that award while on part time. In addition, for tax purposes etc, it's far better to stay on as a full time student whenever possible!

If you are able to fulfill other program requirements (research etc.) from a distance, then you might only have to do this long commute for 3-4 days per week for the two semesters (26 weeks ish?). So that's about 1 out of 4 days per year. Just a suggestion that might help you think of the best outcome for you!

Edited by TakeruK

Fuzzylogician and TakeruK, thank you so much for these insights and suggestions. They certainly help me think this over.

I did not get the SSHRC. The point about the full time and taxes etc... is something to consider given my husband work gets a bit better here that we can actually manage.

I will probably come back here and update what I end up doing.

I wonder if anyone can advise about the same issue but after finishing course work coming year. Would it be more likely or acceptable doing my candidacy and later dissertation from distance? I am optimistically thinking so...

In my experience, it's definitely more acceptable to do your dissertation remotely than it is to try to do coursework remotely. I say this because I moved away to collect data for my research and again for part of the time I was analyzing and writing the dissertation. So while it will still depend on your committee, it's probably also much more acceptable.

I know of many students who do their dissertation remotely if they are finished all their classes. In Canadian schools though, we often take classes right to the last year, so I also know students who schedule all their on campus commitments to one or two days per week. If you only have one class, and the class size is small, usually you and the class can convince the prof to have one weekly 3-hour class rather than 3 1-hour class and then schedule your meeting with advisors on the same day too. 

Edited by TakeruK

Thanks. Seems more reasonable to do dissertation remotely, yes. It seems I will after all take this coming year on campus and finish the three courses I have. In my school, each course is actually 3-hour class once a week . So I go to campus once a week in first semester for the class and maybe will take the other directed reading so I meet prof same day of class. And in second semester I go once a week for the remaining course.

I think I will delay talking to my department about my potential (most probable actually so far) request go do dissertation and candidacy remotely in third, fourth etc years... I don't want to affect my stay during this year (them knowing I want to leave) and who knows what happens till then.

Thanks. Seems more reasonable to do dissertation remotely, yes. It seems I will after all take this coming year on campus and finish the three courses I have. In my school, each course is actually 3-hour class once a week . So I go to campus once a week in first semester for the class and maybe will take the other directed reading so I meet prof same day of class. And in second semester I go once a week for the remaining course.

I think I will delay talking to my department about my potential (most probable actually so far) request go do dissertation and candidacy remotely in third, fourth etc years... I don't want to affect my stay during this year (them knowing I want to leave) and who knows what happens till then.

Glad that you can schedule your courses the way you want! :)

I think there are major pros and cons to decide between telling them now or later. At most schools, it's completely within your rights to do your later years remotely because usually the minimum # of terms required "in residence" is about 2-3 years total. But if you are in a field where you need to work closely with an advisor and your advisor is not supportive of this, it can be a big hassle for you. So, if you tell them now, you can at least save yourself from working with an advisor that will make life tough for you later. At the same time, if you know for sure that no one will want you to do it remotely (or if everyone will tolerate it), then there's no need to start the troubles now (especially since it's a year or so away). In your shoes, I'd probably wait until I am going to move for sure before informing that department that I will be working remotely in later years (assuming that there are no other commitments regarding TA or RAships or other funding sources that require you to be in residence).

• 3 weeks later...

Cup o' Joe, thanks. This absolutely makes sense. Now there is an update. I think I am 90% decided to move to my original city with my family and do the commute once a week. I will chat informally with the administrative assistant and see if this can actually work. Since I posted this question things have been getting worse for us in this city and the work opportunity and housing and all kids related issues are much easier in our original city. In short, the advantages (emotionally and financially) will out balance the trouble of the 3 hour drive to and from the school once a week. Fingers crossed for what I will hear from the department today. :(

• 2 weeks later...