Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

So, got the unofficial invite for recruitment weekend for University of Toronto from my POI. So relieved right now.

That's so exciting! Congratulations!! The first open door always releases the flood gates of excitement. Enjoy your moment and the rest of us will live through your joy!!

Edited by rosiesg2

I wish every school would hand out rejections as fast as some of these schools appear to be doing from the results page.

That's the one thing I would prefer to have right now, so I can move on, for crying out loud.

I mean, right now, if I knew I was rejected from all my schools, I wouldn't be thinking about it at all, it would be over.

No more sword over head or whatever.

I wish every school would hand out rejections as fast as some of these schools appear to be doing from the results page.

That's the one thing I would prefer to have right now, so I can move on, for crying out loud.

I mean, right now, if I knew I was rejected from all my schools, I wouldn't be thinking about it at all, it would be over.

No more sword over head or whatever.

I mean, I hope the adcoms can enjoy their holiday breaks! I know I am looking forward to time with family, myself. Let's all try to relax :)

I'm reading this thread, and then, I'm looking at the viewing stats (22'000? whoa!), and I think we should all chill. Whether or not we get one invitation or 15, whether we get in or not ... this is not the end of the world. We are all talented, competitive people, and we don't need a grad school diploma to tell us so (although yes, it would be nice).

In any case, a grad diploma doesn't even guarantee employment this days... so what are we all getting worked up about? Even if we don't get in absolutely anywhere, we still have a future. Just of a different kind: as entrepreneurs, homemakers, or just in other fields of study.

Grad school admissions are not worth the panic, the tears, and the stress. Nothing, nothing at all, is worth the kind of pressure we are putting on ourselves now.

And anyway, getting into grad school is not only a reflection of our individual talent. It often takes a very privileged background, an undergrad without too many stressors (e.g. major breakups, mental illness, etc.), and often just sheer luck. Also, the culture in psych research labs can be very intimidating, and quite frankly, unfriendly to minorities and students with special needs. So, it's really not a reflection of our brilliance.

Also, as psychologists, we'll be working with folks from backgrounds that are much less privileged than ours, folks who'll be often just as brilliant as ourselves, but who never had a chance to even consider going to grad school... If at that point we let ourselves for a moment think that we are somehow superior because we had the money and the time to sit through a five-year doctorate, we'd be rather shoddy psychologists.

Grad school admissions are just one more hurdle to overcome -- they're not a defining point for our self-esteem. No matter what, we'll make a difference in this world, admitted or not.

Best wishes to all applicants.

I'm reading this thread, and then, I'm looking at the viewing stats (22'000? whoa!), and I think we should all chill. Whether or not we get one invitation or 15, whether we get in or not ... this is not the end of the world. We are all talented, competitive people, and we don't need a grad school diploma to tell us so (although yes, it would be nice). [...]

I take offense to that. I am neither talented, nor competitive.

So, one of my programs nearly gave me a heart attack TWICE today.

First, they have the NERVE to send me an e-mail wishing me a happy holiday season and informing me that they will be closed over the break.

Second, they send me ANOTHER e-mail with the subject line "YOUR APPLICATION STATUS..." and then the e-mail goes on to tell me that I'm part of a special testing group to use their new beta page for viewing application materials. Ugh.

Cruel, cruel torture.

Well, at least they didn't do a John Hopkins and send out letters of acceptance to everyone who was rejected.   I'd die.  I'd just curl up in a ball and die.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/johns-hopkins-sends-rejected-students-emails-error/story?id=27661709

ugh, I bet someone got fired or something. That's tough. I don't think I would curl up in a ball and die though. Drinking alone sounds about right.

Ugh I'm not looking forward to that at Christmas. People that aren't involved just don't get it. I'm tired enough of hearing "What'd you major in? Psychology? You'll have plenty of patients right here!" without grad school questions too.

Ugh I'm not looking forward to that at Christmas. People that aren't involved just don't get it. I'm tired enough of hearing "What'd you major in? Psychology? You'll have plenty of patients right here!" without grad school questions too.

It's even worse when no one in your extended family knows about your subfield or discipline of psychology. They all assume I'm going to be seeing patients (I'm applying to I-O programs) and it drives me up the wall.

I'm in the realm of animal behavior, so I get to hear about my extended family's pet problems and ask me to explain their behavior. Or people ask if I'm going to be the next dog whisperer (do not like Cesar Milan, by the way, so this drives me up a wall). When I explain animal welfare, they assume PETA (also do not like). My parents think I study animal "stereotypes." It goes on and on.

Family party today... Everyone asking me if I've heard back and why not. And also plenty of misunderstanding the acceptance rates I'm faced against!

I hate how my family doesn't understand the acceptance rates! Every time they ask me about hearing back from school, and I express my concerns, they just say "oh, don't worry! You'll definitely get in, you're a great student!" and I'm just over here like....noo....you don't understand...when 200 PLUS people apply and only a handful are accepted there are LOTS of "great students"! Oh well.

Family party today... Everyone asking me if I've heard back and why not. And also plenty of misunderstanding the acceptance rates I'm faced against!

One of my letter writers was doing that to me, just smiling so cute at me and saying "don't worry, you'll get in," like I'm being soooo silly doubting it.

Then my poor family... I've started yelling "NO!" when they ask me about it. "I DON'T KNOW! THERE'S LIKE MONTHS LEFT! THEY COULD TAKE TILL APRIL! STOP ASKING ME!"

I think my parents are hoping that I'll forget about this whole grad school business and look for a job in the area. They don't ask much about it, nor do they assure me that I will get in. They weren't even all that enthusiastic when I told them about recruitment day. Anyone had to deal with parents that don't want you to "leave the nest," so to speak? I'm not home a whole lot because of university, but I am reachable (3 hour drive). Going to a different country complicates things a bit.

I think my parents are hoping that I'll forget about this whole grad school business and look for a job in the area. They don't ask much about it, nor do they assure me that I will get in. They weren't even all that enthusiastic when I told them about recruitment day. Anyone had to deal with parents that don't want you to "leave the nest," so to speak? I'm not home a whole lot because of university, but I am reachable (3 hour drive). Going to a different country complicates things a bit.

Sounds a lot like my parents. Only my extended family gets excited and asks questions. I actually live at home with them now and commute to school, so as you can imagine the idea of me finally leaving after 23 years is scary to them! I'm the oldest kid which doesn't help.

I'm in the realm of animal behavior, so I get to hear about my extended family's pet problems and ask me to explain their behavior. Or people ask if I'm going to be the next dog whisperer (do not like Cesar Milan, by the way, so this drives me up a wall). When I explain animal welfare, they assume PETA (also do not like). My parents think I study animal "stereotypes." It goes on and on.

I HATE HIM TOO. Not going into animal behavior as of now (looks like something else in neuroscience, maybe epilepsy, but I'm only a sophomore!), but I train and compete in a dog sport pretty competitively. People always ask if I'm the new dog whisperer as a joke and I'm always just like, "He is stupid. No, I actually looked into the science of dog training before claiming to be an expert." People are taken aback. Seriously one of my pet peeves. Got into a fight on reddit about it too. I never even comment on reddit, lol. JAKABSHJAHAVAB DONT WATCH THAT STUPID SHOW GUYS!!!!!

I've got the opposite. My dad keeps telling me he's heard that it's harder to get into a Clinical Psychology PhD program than to get into med school, but I think he means that to come across as somehow supportive? As in he understands the struggle somehow? This is my second application season so they are overall being more supportive than the last go round (which is quite nice).

Thankfully not really. My undergrad school is eight hours away so I only come home for the summer and Christmas break. However, my mom's looking to move too and she wants to consider the area I move to as a potential spot to settle.

I HATE HIM TOO. Not going into animal behavior as of now (looks like something else in neuroscience, maybe epilepsy, but I'm only a sophomore!), but I train and compete in a dog sport pretty competitively. People always ask if I'm the new dog whisperer as a joke and I'm always just like, "He is stupid. No, I actually looked into the science of dog training before claiming to be an expert." People are taken aback. Seriously one of my pet peeves. Got into a fight on reddit about it too. I never even comment on reddit, lol. JAKABSHJAHAVAB DONT WATCH THAT STUPID SHOW GUYS!!!!!

Gahh not going into animal behavior either, but it's a special interest of mine and I hate that guy. My mom practically worships the ground he walks on and now she wants to be a dog trainer based off his methods. It makes me feel sick.

I'm applying for Fall 2015 too, hopefully for Education Psych, School Psych, Counselling. 

I did my GRE two days ago and ended with 155 for both verbal and quantitative. Do you think I should retake it?