Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

Greetings everyone!

I'm sure we'll all come to benefit from each other as the application season comes into focus. I'm actually quite excited to be applying to graduate school when not long ago, at the age of 31, I decided to abandon a banal lifestyle at Lowe's Home Improvement and give college another shot. Now I'm about to graduate with a near 4.0 (3.94) from Cornell University with a B.S. in Human Development, 3 summer research stipend/awards, a major conference presentation, 2 publications in prep, and a world of possibilities unknown a few years ago in humble working class obscurity. However, a prudent disposition remains going forward as I'm sure we're all aware of how qualified candidates are tossed aside during this rigorous process. 

With an introduction cemented, here are a few of my aims for graduate school. I'm looking at Clinical Neuropsychology programs in addition to Cognitive Neuroscience as my research experience generally has dealt with aberrant cognition in cases of dementia & aging (mostly fMRI and PET imagining). I figure its best to apply at a 70/30 clinical/cogneuro ratio to hopefully place in a program and not allow another year to go wasted. 

Target programs:

UC San Diego/SDSU

USC

Northwestern U

U of Texas @ Austin

U of Florida @ Gainesville 

U of South Florida

U of Pennsylvania

U of Georgia 

UC Berkeley 

Edited by Gonzophd35

Hi, Gonzophd! 
I'm in San Diego, and have attended SDSU and UCSD for my BS and Master's, respectively. SDSU shouldn't have stand-alone PhD programs-- is it a joint program? That sounds like a great opportunity-- the faculty at SDSU are super helpful. I've worked with some labs at UCSD, but not in your areas of interest.

Anyway, if you need to know about housing or other general things about SDSU & UCSD, let me know! I'm sitting in UCSD grad student housing right now. There was a cloud in the sky earlier, but it's gone now. I think it's hiding behind my surfboard on the balcony.

But, you know, do what you want. I'm sure the other cities are lovely, too. ;) 

Hi, Gonzophd! 

I'm in San Diego, and have attended SDSU and UCSD for my BS and Master's, respectively. SDSU shouldn't have stand-alone PhD programs-- is it a joint program? That sounds like a great opportunity-- the faculty at SDSU are super helpful. I've worked with some labs at UCSD, but not in your areas of interest.

Anyway, if you need to know about housing or other general things about SDSU & UCSD, let me know! I'm sitting in UCSD grad student housing right now. There was a cloud in the sky earlier, but it's gone now. I think it's hiding behind my surfboard on the balcony.

I love San Diego :( Quite easily the best place I've ever visited...but I'm a sucker for places with perfect weather, pristine beaches, where everyone is active and happy and friendly, great food, great culture, and excellent academics. Maybe I'm just weird.

I'm assuming you are applying to the CogSci program at UCSD? I will be applying there as well.

Hahaha, so glad you like my town! I have to say, the food is getting better, and the BEER is SO GOOD. Honestly (besides of course my lovely friends and family), craft beer is what would make it hardest to leave. 

I am applying at UCSD! Who's your POI? I'm volunteering at a lab there, and really loving it. I might be able to get a sense of what it's like to work for different professors, especially in my lab (dCog/HCI). Everyone I've talked to about questions have been fantastic so far, although when one of my lab mates presented at our larger lab meeting, the questions from the faculty were borderline terrifying. My understanding is that's a big part of any grad program, though, so I'll have to get used to it :)

Hi, Gonzophd! 

That surf board reference is just one of the reasons why its my top choice for grad school (Have surfed myself before). Yes, its a joint PhD program and filled with at least 5 potential POI's that match up with my background in fMRI based research into dementia  :)

Nice!! best of luck! Through weird coincidence, I've worked with the fMRIs at UCSD-- what I've heard from the RAs there is that you should decide whether to get certified on the machines very carefully. Those who did got obligated to lots of extra work! But I guess if it's your primary research interest, you should probably do it ;)

Honestly, lots of my friends have tried to teach me to surf (I've been here for 12 years) and I just plain suck at it. I got the board when my friend moved out of town, hoping it might be easier with a foam board that has the approximate dimensions of a sidewalk. We'll see :)

Hahaha, so glad you like my town! I have to say, the food is getting better, and the BEER is SO GOOD. Honestly (besides of course my lovely friends and family), craft beer is what would make it hardest to leave. 

I am applying at UCSD! Who's your POI? I'm volunteering at a lab there, and really loving it. I might be able to get a sense of what it's like to work for different professors, especially in my lab (dCog/HCI). Everyone I've talked to about questions have been fantastic so far, although when one of my lab mates presented at our larger lab meeting, the questions from the faculty were borderline terrifying. My understanding is that's a big part of any grad program, though, so I'll have to get used to it :)

Forgot to mention the craft beer. Had my fair share of that when I was there!

I have a few. Jeff Elman and Marta Kutas are the main ones, though there are at least three others with whom I'd really enjoy working. My current advisor knows Prof. Kutas fairly well. He said she's a bulldog...fantastic scientist but very demanding and speaks her mind when you don't meet her expectations. It's an unbelievable program, so it doesn't surprise me that the questions were terrifying. 

I'll be applying to somewhere around 15 programs this fall. I have been working on my SoP's as well. I seem to never be satisfied with it. Have been pursuing my letters and volunteering at a psychology research lab. My CV is pretty set so we shall see. Plan on sending all my apps out in October so then I can do the 5 month extended waiting game.

That "5 month extended waiting game" is awful.  I applied and was rejected last cycle, and I had all of my applications done by mid-October.  I did it for my recommenders (one was moving soon and one was getting ready to give birth), and it was agony waiting. 

If only being an early bird got you THIS worm, huh?

That "5 month extended waiting game" is awful.  I applied and was rejected last cycle, and I had all of my applications done by mid-October.  I did it for my recommenders (one was moving soon and one was getting ready to give birth), and it was agony waiting. 

If only being an early bird got you THIS worm, huh?

Hmm, I was thinking about doing this for no reason other than I want to get it over with. Then I heard it can actually help your app. So, would you disagree? Obviously it wouldn't hurt, but maybe it just doesn't matter at all.

Hmm, I was thinking about doing this for no reason other than I want to get it over with. Then I heard it can actually help your app. So, would you disagree? Obviously it wouldn't hurt, but maybe it just doesn't matter at all.

Now I was not on the reviewing end of this application process at all, but my understanding was that applications are not reviewed at all until the deadline lapses, which means that in theory, it shouldn't matter when you apply as long as you do it by the deadline.  Now in some cases, your LoR writers may not be informed by e-mail until you have officially applied, but even then, they've probably already written your letters so it wouldn't matter exactly when they got the e-mail to attach the letter that they've wriiten about you.  The only way I could see it hurting is if something changes in the period of time between when you've applied and when the application is due.  If you apply in October and win an unforeseen award in November, it's not part of your CV or your SoP or your application in general (or you get notification that something IS going to be published after all...).  Now I don't see that as a huge problem, and I'll probably end up submitting this year's applications early as well, but it's something to think about.

You said you heard that it may actually help?  In what way might it help to get in your applications that early (because it sure would be nice if it did)?

Thanks

Now I was not on the reviewing end of this application process at all, but my understanding was that applications are not reviewed at all until the deadline lapses, which means that in theory, it shouldn't matter when you apply as long as you do it by the deadline. Now in some cases, your LoR writers may not be informed by e-mail until you have officially applied, but even then, they've probably already written your letters so it wouldn't matter exactly when they got the e-mail to attach the letter that they've wriiten about you. The only way I could see it hurting is if something changes in the period of time between when you've applied and when the application is due. If you apply in October and win an unforeseen award in November, it's not part of your CV or your SoP or your application in general (or you get notification that something IS going to be published after all...). Now I don't see that as a huge problem, and I'll probably end up submitting this year's applications early as well, but it's something to think about.

You said you heard that it may actually help? In what way might it help to get in your applications that early (because it sure would be nice if it did)?

Thanks

Oh, good point about things on the CV. I might be hearing back from conferences in late October so that's definitely something to think about.

I heard it can help you secure funding, because some programs review apps as they come and give funding on a rolling basis. Can't remember which programs allegedly do this but it makes sense to me!

From what I've seen for the majority of schools, is your application arriving early doesn't matter. Some schools (very few) will look at your application early and even have a shortlist for those applicants. Usually the school will have this written on their web page though. Since I won't have any immense changes to my CV this fall I will be sending all my apps out around OCT/NOV timeframe. Wait 2-3 weeks, then verify that all my materials were received for each school. Then........wait.....wait some more......and in early spring hope for some interviews and acceptances.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

I am a rising senior and will be applying to health psychology programs in the fall. I hope to study behavioral intervention and preventative health behaviors surrounding obesity. 

I am double-majoring in Exercise Science and Psychology. My GPA is 3.68 (psychology GPA-4.0). I got mostly B's in my chemistry and physiology courses :( 

I am taking the GRE in mid July. Based off of my previous standardized test performances, I think I will be fine.

I am a captain of the women's rowing team at my university and will be a 4-year D1 athlete upon graduation. Also, I rowed on U23 national team last summer. I am hoping that this will strengthen my application. 

Because I have dedicated so much time to rowing, I have somewhat limited research experience. I do not have any presentations or publications.  

I joined an I/O lab at my university this past January. Thus far, I have worked on data cleaning and analysis of data. Right now, I am working on analysis for a huge dataset for this lab. 

I am also working on a motivational interviewing project at the local hospital with diabetic patients. This is my main project for the summer and I am heavily involved with it. Sadly, I do not think that we'll have anything published for this project by the time I submit applications. 

I am also a member of two journal clubs and am taking a grad class in robust statistics to keep me busy this summer. 

I intend to primarily apply to PhD programs. Do you think any health programs will take me seriously despite my lack of research experience? 

Thanks 

Oh, good point about things on the CV. I might be hearing back from conferences in late October so that's definitely something to think about.

I heard it can help you secure funding, because some programs review apps as they come and give funding on a rolling basis. Can't remember which programs allegedly do this but it makes sense to me!

I know McGill Neuroscience does applications on a rolling basis and funding is first come first serve.

But that's probably the exception rather than the rule.

Hi everyone! 

I am a rising senior and will be applying to health psychology programs in the fall. I hope to study behavioral intervention and preventative health behaviors surrounding obesity. 

I am double-majoring in Exercise Science and Psychology. My GPA is 3.68 (psychology GPA-4.0). I got mostly B's in my chemistry and physiology courses :(

I am taking the GRE in mid July. Based off of my previous standardized test performances, I think I will be fine.

I am a captain of the women's rowing team at my university and will be a 4-year D1 athlete upon graduation. Also, I rowed on U23 national team last summer. I am hoping that this will strengthen my application. 

Because I have dedicated so much time to rowing, I have somewhat limited research experience. I do not have any presentations or publications.  

I joined an I/O lab at my university this past January. Thus far, I have worked on data cleaning and analysis of data. Right now, I am working on analysis for a huge dataset for this lab. 

I am also working on a motivational interviewing project at the local hospital with diabetic patients. This is my main project for the summer and I am heavily involved with it. Sadly, I do not think that we'll have anything published for this project by the time I submit applications. 

I am also a member of two journal clubs and am taking a grad class in robust statistics to keep me busy this summer. 

I intend to primarily apply to PhD programs. Do you think any health programs will take me seriously despite my lack of research experience? 

Thanks 

We should chat because we have similar research interests (finally, someone!!)! And I also worked on a diabetes study at a local hospital! I think you have good experience :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent out inquiry emails to my POIs...it's all getting so real!

Nice! I am currently aiming to send out emails late July/early August. Hope they give you positive responses :)

Just sent out inquiry emails to my POIs...it's all getting so real!

Good luck! I haven't had much luck thus far in contacting POIs this year. Last year, oddly enough, was much more successful.

Good luck! I haven't had much luck thus far in contacting POIs this year. Last year, oddly enough, was much more successful.

Maybe it's too early? :/

Maybe it's too early? :/

In the year? Possibly. I did get the most success in early to mid fall last year...

I was originally planning on waiting a bit longer, but am taking my GRE in August and didn't want to use any of my score reports on POIs that weren't accepting. So far, so good. Four responses, three are planning on accepting students:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on applying for Fall 2015 too! I am mostly looking at MA programs in social psych, but I have a few joint programs and a few PhD  :) 

I will be reapplying for Fall 2015. I applied for Fall 2014, was accepted to a few programs, but didn't end up accept ingany offers due to a lack of funding (and dumb decisions). I plan on emailing POIs mid-to-late September.

Hey,

Ya I'm applying to cog neuro and clinical programs for the fall of 2015. So many schools I don't really know where to begin searching though. I'm searching a lot of 'top tier' places in the US because I don't really know many middle tier schools there. I"m from Canada where there's a lot fewer programs.

Edited by Epoh

I will be reapplying for Fall 2015. I applied for Fall 2014, was accepted to a few programs, but didn't end up accept ingany offers due to a lack of funding (and dumb decisions). I plan on emailing POIs mid-to-late September.

How can I find out what sort of funding would be available to me before I apply to a program? I've mainly been focusing on PI's, and programs, so what can I do to make sure I'll be fully funded? I've looked on the sites of a lot of places and it's not all that clear... I'm an international student coming from Canada I should add.