any fall 2010 applicants?

Fizzydrink, moral support is here! I also just finished the WWS application and am humbled by the experience. I'm glad there's over a month before the KSG applications are due... I can use all that extra time to revise (and cut) from my original materials!

hi

Done my GREs (no, not sharing scores - there is more than two 3-digit numbers that define you as a potential grad student), SOPs done for one school, needs editing for two others, policy memo almost done - does anyone feel like they will be faced with this big empty hole in their lives once the "send" button is pressed?

Anyone else looking at MPP at WWS? student bios look a bit scary...

I am rambling and should stop wasting time browsing this forum and go back to work.

I guess I was looking for moral support!

That's how I discovered the grad cafe last spring - looking for new ways to distract myself from thinking about a process completely in others' hands. Welcome - the wait will be agonizing, but there'll be good company here!

Last spring, linden posted a parody of a WWS applicant that made a lot of people feel better about how intimidating those bios look:

That's how I discovered the grad cafe last spring - looking for new ways to distract myself from thinking about a process completely in others' hands. Welcome - the wait will be agonizing, but there'll be good company here!

Last spring, linden posted a parody of a WWS applicant that made a lot of people feel better about how intimidating those bios look:

Yes linden's post was a classic! It's kinda weird coming back to this forum after one year and looking back at the journey I had with other Fall 09 applicants... To all the Fall 2010 applicants, best of luck and see you all in grad school!

hello all. i'm probably in the minority here but i'm only applying to ONE school - Columbia SIPA. i am in love with what i know about their MPA-DP program. i just feel like applying to any other program would be settling since very few take such an interdisciplinary, skills-based approach. too much theory involved with the other programs i considered.

anyway, i'm excited to be in good company here. i look forward to the coming months!

keondra.

hello all. i'm probably in the minority here but i'm only applying to ONE school - Columbia SIPA. i am in love with what i know about their MPA-DP program. i just feel like applying to any other program would be settling since very few take such an interdisciplinary, skills-based approach. too much theory involved with the other programs i considered.

anyway, i'm excited to be in good company here. i look forward to the coming months!

keondra.

hi keondra. i wish i was only considering one program, i'd save lots of money. just wanted to let you know however of another school you might like. denver's korbel school is offering a brand new degree called Masters of Development Practice. lots of travel involved and they call their method a 'holistic approach.' if you like you can check it out, but i hope it works out well with columbia.

Edited by cosmike10

May as well join the fray.

I'm applying to 4 schools: Gtown MSFS, SAIS, Fletcher, and GW Elliott School. Had a originally planned on WWS, SIPA, and LSE, but those got narrowed down for various reasons (in WWS' case, because I didn't realize that the deadline was 1.5 months before the other schools...)

In any case, I'm looking into trade/commerce/investment policy; would love to know if anyone else is looking at that area as well.

My profile:

Undergrad - Top 30 Private Liberal Arts; Political Science Major, Spanish and Latin Amer Studies minors; 3.7GPA (3.89 major); Honors in Poly Sci

Post Grad - 1 year living and working in Costa Rica; 2 yrs as International Government Relations manager at a global IT consulting company

GRE - 650v 710q

Working on SoPs but can't say they're earth shattering by any stretch...

Good luck all!

hi keondra. i wish i was only considering one program, i'd save lots of money. just wanted to let you know however of another school you might like. denver's korbel school is offering a brand new degree called Masters of Development Practice. lots of travel involved and they call their method a 'holistic approach.' if you like you can check it out, but i hope it works out well with columbia.

thanks cosmike10. the program at Denver actually emailed me using the GRE search service. their program seems great too (and MUCH more affordable!). in the end, i chose not to apply due to the location and the fact that SIPA offers it under the MPA umbrella which gives me a little more flexibility if i want to shift gears later.

i'm curious...where are you applying?

keondra.

thanks cosmike10. the program at Denver actually emailed me using the GRE search service. their program seems great too (and MUCH more affordable!). in the end, i chose not to apply due to the location and the fact that SIPA offers it under the MPA umbrella which gives me a little more flexibility if i want to shift gears later.

i'm curious...where are you applying?

keondra.

Yeah that's how I found out about it too. I considered applying, but don't think I will for pretty much the same reason as you. I've wanted an MPA for a while and want to study international social and economic development. I'm applying to USC, George Washington, UI-Chicago, Portland St. and considering Washington, Pittsburgh, and Columbia.