any fall 2010 applicants?

I am a fall 2010.

My target school for IR is Fletcher, Georgetown, SAIS, IGA(HKS), SIPA, Elliot, LSE and Oxford. However, I will also apply for the East Asian Studies program in UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, U Michigan, Harvard, Yale and Columbia.

You should consider UCSD's Asian Studies program. It's really unparalleled in the world. The University of Washington's Jackson School of International Studies is also another excellent school for IR with an Asian focus.

Also - cut that list of schools down a bit. I'm confused - are you intending to apply to multiple programs at the same university? If so I would highly recommend you not do so.

hi, another 2010 applicant outside the US. I have an IR major with 3.4 GPA, 4 years of working experience of which one year was in uzbekistan for development affairs. I have been extensively in intergovernmental meetings, reprsented my country in several fora including un, oecd, eu meetings and currently what im doing is somewhere between international economics and international development. and thats what im aiming for an ma program. my toefl score is 102, i have some good recs and currently working on gre. so, goog luck everyone!

You should consider UCSD's Asian Studies program. It's really unparalleled in the world. The University of Washington's Jackson School of International Studies is also another excellent school for IR with an Asian focus.

Also - cut that list of schools down a bit. I'm confused - are you intending to apply to multiple programs at the same university? If so I would highly recommend you not do so.

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I will definitely cut my list down later...I will be a RA for a IR professor this summer and will have a change to rethink about my interest of career and find out which school is really for me. However, i didn't really get your point about the multiple programs at the same university. Is it impossibe for me to apply to a professonal school and another PhD program at same university at meantime?

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I will definitely cut my list down later...I will be a RA for a IR professor this summer and will have a change to rethink about my interest of career and find out which school is really for me. However, i didn't really get your point about the multiple programs at the same university. Is it impossibe for me to apply to a professonal school and another PhD program at same university at meantime?

Hi - I'm unsure what the protocol is for applying in the manner in which you're thinking. I do know, however, that graduate programs are looking for focused applicants who want to be leaders in their fields. So applying, say, to one school like NYU for two separate departments, one an MPP and one IR, would be looked down upon. For one thing it shows that you don't really know what you want to do and secondly it plays departments off against each other.

Maybe if you can elaborate on the "professional and PhD program at the same university" then myself or someone else can help you. I'm doing a terminal masters program so I'm not sure what the right answer is.

However, i didn't really get your point about the multiple programs at the same university. Is it impossibe for me to apply to a professonal school and another PhD program at same university at meantime?

You will need to check the policies of the universities you are interested in about this. Some universities only allow one application per year to any division while others allows allow multiple across several applications. I can't recall them all, but take this example. Princeton only allows one application to any graduate unit of the university per year.

http://gradschool.princeton.edu/admissi ... 00103f6408

Harvard allows two applications per year across two graduate units, but only three applications to the university in the applicants lifetime.

http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/prospective ... ission.php

Still other schools allow multiple applications with no lifetime cap.

So you will need to keep this in mind when applying to your programs.

Hello to all.

I am considering applying to MPP/MPA programs for the fall of 2010. I want to focus on social/domestic policy and the politics of passing policy. I live in Pittsburgh and am working at an environmental stewardship/youth development program for the summer (and studying for the GREs...whooa I can hardly wait) and then doing Americorps VISTA from August 09- August 10.

Does anyone know which MPP/MPA programs give Americorps alum scholarships??? I know CMU Heinz school does, but I don't think i have seen any others yet.

As for schools, right now I am looking into Heinz, the DC schools, and Duke. After I take the GREs I will have a better idea of the schools/programs where I will be a competitive applicant.

• 4 weeks later...

YAY 2010 applicant here! Looking at MPA:)

Going to Graduate from University of Washington.

Political Science Major, Geology Minor....really interested in Emergency Management and Disaster Relief

3.6 GPA, GRE in September.

Alot of internship experience; i.e. Congressional, Non-Profit, Campaign Work...also Volunteer at local food bank..

currently looking at.... USC, NYU, American, Georgetown, George Washington, UCLA, Washington, and Maryland

YAY 2010 applicant here! Looking at MPA:)

Going to Graduate from University of Washington.

Political Science Major, Geology Minor....really interested in Emergency Management and Disaster Relief

3.6 GPA, GRE in September.

Alot of internship experience; i.e. Congressional, Non-Profit, Campaign Work...also Volunteer at local food bank..

currently looking at.... USC, NYU, American, Georgetown, George Washington, UCLA, Washington, and Maryland

hey miss molly, good to know that I am not the only one applying straight out of undergrad. I'm applying to Gtown, Gw and NYU as well!

Hello to all.

I am considering applying to MPP/MPA programs for the fall of 2010. I want to focus on social/domestic policy and the politics of passing policy. I live in Pittsburgh and am working at an environmental stewardship/youth development program for the summer (and studying for the GREs...whooa I can hardly wait) and then doing Americorps VISTA from August 09- August 10.

Does anyone know which MPP/MPA programs give Americorps alum scholarships??? I know CMU Heinz school does, but I don't think i have seen any others yet.

As for schools, right now I am looking into Heinz, the DC schools, and Duke. After I take the GREs I will have a better idea of the schools/programs where I will be a competitive applicant.

There is a list on the AmeriCorps website that has which schools double the AmeriCorps educational award.

Hi all, I'll be applying to MPP programs and probably a couple of education policy programs for Fall 2010. I majored in Political Science at a top 25 liberal arts college and graduated in 07 with a 3.90 GPA. I've been teaching in New Orleans for the past two years with Teach for America and will be teaching a third year at my placement school. I took the GRE today and scored 660 V and 760 Q. I'm still wavering between a strictly ed policy focus or an MPP but still specializing in ed policy. I'd love to hear any opinions on the MPP programs that are strongest in ed policy. I'm also still considering educational administration, so that's a bit of a wildcard.

Right now I'm planning on applying to quite a few schools, at least in part because some of them have an application fee waiver for TFA alums.

MPP/MPA: KSG, WWS, Duke, UChicago, GW, Georgetown, Berkeley, Michigan, Wisconsin, Syracuse

Ed Policy: Brown Urban Ed Policy (1 yr. program), Columbia Teachers College, Harvard School of Education - Ed Policy/Management, Vanderbilt (Ed policy)

Hello all,

I'll be applying to MPP/MPA programs for Fall 2010 admissions. I graduated from a large, top-tier state school in the ACC in 2009. My overall undergrad GPA is a 3.86, and my in-major GPAs for political science and history were a 3.81 and a 3.97, respectively. I was also elected to Phi Beta Kappa and served in my school's SGA for two years as well as serving as an officer in some clubs. I also have a solid internship with the GAO, and I'd really like to get back to federal work. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I have been studying for it. When I get to school I'll have a year's work experience under my belt.

Applying to: USC, Gtown, GWU, Pitt's MPIA program, American, UNC, George Mason, Maryland, Texas, William & Mary, UWashington, UCLA, and Virginia Tech.

I hope everyone is having a great summer, gearing up for starting your apps (or for first year classes in my case! Yay!). If anyone has a particularly specific question, feel free to shoot me a line. Please, don't ask anything general that a little internet sleuthing could solve or that you really should ask a department/school admissions officer. My stats are available on the Final Decisions thread.

Also, please check out my new international relations blog, "You Might Be Mistaken" -- http://youmightbemistaken.blogspot.com/ .

Best of luck to everyone in their pursuits!

I'm curious as to those of you experienced with the admissions process think. I'm applying for a MA oriented in International Development. My top choices are Columbia - SIPA, Johns Hopkins - SAIS, Georgetown - Walsh, George Washington - Elliott and Tufts - Fletcher. Also applying to University of Denver - Korbel, American University and possibly University of Maryland. I'm interested in programs that have a focus developing practitioners, not academics.

Low GPA - 3.0 (major: psychology undergrad in US), haven't taken the GRE recently. Last time I took it was 7 years ago, got an OK score with minimal preparation, hoping to get a competitive score this time around.

Work - have been working in the NGO sector in China for the past five years. Been lucky to work with some top NGOs in the fields of conservation, poverty alleviation, and corporate social responsibility. Worked as both PR, researcher, and project manager (set up project office for an NGO).

Languages: near fluent mandarin (learned after college)

I'm hoping that a good GRE score and smooth statement of purpose, coupled with some good recommendations and my work experience will help me overcome my poor undergrad GPA from 7 years ago. What do the rest of you think? Can good work experience and recommendations overcome a sub par GPA?

I'm hoping that a good GRE score and smooth statement of purpose, coupled with some good recommendations and my work experience will help me overcome my poor undergrad GPA from 7 years ago. What do the rest of you think? Can good work experience and recommendations overcome a sub par GPA?

Take a look at the final decisions thread where you can see what GRE's, GPA's, work experience etc. people had and what schools they got into.

I'm curious as to those of you experienced with the admissions process think. I'm applying for a MA oriented in International Development. My top choices are Columbia - SIPA, John Hopkins - SAIS, Georgetown - Walsh, George Washington - Elliott and Tufts - Fletcher. Also applying to University of Denver - Korbel, American University and possibly University of Maryland. I'm interested in programs that have a focus developing practitioners, not academics.

Low GPA - 3.0 (major: psychology undergrad in US), haven't taken the GRE recently. Last time I took it was 7 years ago, got an OK score with minimal preparation, hoping to get a competitive score this time around.

Work - have been working in the NGO sector in China for the past five years. Been lucky to work with some top NGOs in the fields of conservation, poverty alleviation, and corporate social responsibility. Worked as both PR, researcher, and project manager (set up project office for an NGO).

Languages: near fluent mandarin (learned after college)

I'd say your work experience will set you apart enough that if you have good letters of recommendation and a strong statement of purpose, your undergrad is long enough in the past to be less important than for those of us more recently out of school. Just be sure to emphasize your strengths and your overall application could be pretty outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouraging replies Conrell07 and Zourah, I appreciate it.

I have been looking that the final results thread, very insightful. I'm looking forward to getting those apps in.

My Top Choices:

First choices

Columbia - SIPA

John Hopkins - SAIS

Tufts - Fletcher

Second Choices

George Washington

Berkeley

American University

Denver University

Georgetown

I am joining the growing litany of prospective IR applicants for the Fall of 2010.

I just finished my GRE - 760 Verbal, 800 Quant, 5.5 AWA. Naturally, I am pleased with these results.

Undergraduate GPA - 3.87 (cumulative), 3.93 (in Major) from a smaller liberal arts school. I majored in English Lit.

Work experience - I have 5 years of work experience. 4 as a management consultant working with senior gov't execs and intelligence officials, and 1 year as a high school teacher.

Schools I plan on applying to (the standard set of many on this board): KSG, WWS, WSFS, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, Fletcher, SAIS

Econ Classes, Etc. - I already took Calc, Macro, and 2 Poly Sci classes undergrad. I am currently taking Micro and Stats at the USDA school in DC.

I've started on the application prep stuff, and beginning drafts of my personal statements.

So, he's to everyone working on all of the same stuff. Good luck to you all. Hopefully we'll get to work together one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Great thread ..!

I am applying for an MPA with a strong emphasis on international development. My background is :

BA Political Science GPA 3.3 major 3.6 (Canadian University) 2005

Currently Masters in Urban and Regional Planning GPA 3.6ish or 2:1 (British University) 2010 grad

Work Experience - 3+ years British local government as an urban planner

TA- while in undergrad

Voluntary experience HIV/ Aids Charity focused on education and entreneurship for orphans in Zimbabwe for 4 months ( end of 2000 ... is that too long ago?)Extra curricular pursuits (while in undergrad) - member of university judicial board, president and vice president of two university organisations

I am wondering if i should mention some of those things ....like the voluntary work as its so long ago, but really had an impact on my choice of field.

I am also needing funding as an international student... (either TA or RA would be great!). I have been studing for my GREs for the last month and want to do really well on them as my undergraduate GPA is not all that fantastic, but i am also hoping that my current MURP GPA is going to help.

I am considering Arizona St, CMU, Cornell, Duke, Virginia Tech, Clarke IDCE (not a MPA or MPP),Mich St

I am deliberately not trying too may Ivy league schools to spread my chances. I am also realising that I have nothing quantitative on my transcripts and i may not be able to get a math course in until next summer.

Any help and suggestions would be most welcome

Amyrue :)

Hello all, what a great forum. I got off to a late start and just this last month pegged down the MPA so I have a lot of research ahead of me (and thankfully a good deal behind me). A little about me:

Undergrad Institutions: 1yr at community college (3.3 GPA), 1yr at the Defense Language Institute, A.A. of Russian 2003 (3.6GPA), B.A. in Biblical Studies (2006) from small Bible college in the D.C. area (3.97 GPA) and a B.A. in International Studies (2008) at the University of Oregon (4.05 GPA)... Overall GPA 3.8 and change.

GRE: Still studying but current practice tests are about 700Q and 670 V (would like minimum of 740 and 720 respectively)... not sure about the writing portion.

Work Experience: Unfortunately little in the policy arena. I was in the Army for 5yr as a Russian Language Analyst where I worked at the National Security Agency. I also completed an internship (3mos) at Oregon Research Institute on a CBPR project aimed at lowering childhood obesity rates in the local area by bringing together diverse actors from the community, research institutes, schools, gvt. and more.

Interests: Social Policy, Food Systems, Homelessness, Inequalities related to development, urban policy, and leadership broadly (or, in terms of organizations, management). I should probably add foreign language and culture... and maybe history. I also just love to read.

Volunteer Work: Homeless outreach for Christian organization in Baltimore and D.C., began a faith-based garden 2yrs ago in order to feed people who would otherwise go without- was able to partner up with a local organization working with "at risk" youth in order to teach homeless teens (and early 20somethings) how to grow food.

As far as Schools: NYU's MPA, Syracuse, Carnegie Mellon, GW, Indiana (and I am still researching.. I plan on applying to 5 schools for fall 2010) I would like to find a school with less focus on quantitative and more focus on communication and social sciences. Like I said, I have a long way to go and I look forward to reading the rest of your posts.

Work Experience: Unfortunately little in the policy arena. I was in the Army for 5yr as a Russian Language Analyst where I worked at the National Security Agency. I also completed an internship (3mos) at Oregon Research Institute on a CBPR project aimed at lowering childhood obesity rates in the local area by bringing together diverse actors from the community, research institutes, schools, gvt. and more.

This actually sounds great. I'd love to have you as a classmate.

It's great hearing about everyone's interests and experiences, and this forum is really unbelievably helpful in figuring everything out! Thanks to all who have been posting.

I'll probably be applying a few places for 2010 to test the waters, although I only have one full year WE at this point (graduated in '08) and so I might end up working a couple of years and reapplying depending on my results. Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Top 10 private college in the US, BA in Poli Sci (Concentration in Comparative Gov)

GPA: 3.79

GRE: 790 V, 790 Q, 6.0 AW

Work Experience: Starting my second year as a teacher at a private K-12 school in the Middle East. I teach mostly English to elementary/middle schoolers, but will also be teaching a high school global issues course this year.

Volunteering/Internships: Summer internship in India at a microfinance institution; currently volunteering in my free time at a UN agency in the Middle East

Quant background: Not much math or formal econ, but developed and taught a half-credit undergrad course about microfinance that was technically listed as econ.

Goals: I'm looking at MPPs and MPAs which focus on IDev in order to work for a while as a practitioner and possibly go back later to get a Phd and enter academia. Right now I'm thinking of applying to SAIS, SIPA, WWS, Fletcher, and AU SIS; they're all certainly a stretch, but I figure I can always reapply in the future if necessary.

If anyone has any particular insights on IDev programs, I'd love to hear them. Also, I'm curious how people think my experience teaching abroad will be viewed by these programs -- I'm hoping that the international aspect of it will somewhat make up for the lack of relevance of the work itself.

Best of luck to everyone! I know my semester will be spent finishing up my regular coursework, GRE, and grad school. My undergrad is in Political Science (imagine that) from Purdue Univeristy. I'm applying to IU, Georgetown (my ideal school), American, and GW for PP. Anyone have any advice or proposed timelines for completing all the necessary things?

Hi all,

Fall 2010 applicant to HKS, SIPA, JHU and may be WWS.

My profile: MA in Management option Finance from a French business school (+ an exchage program at Rutgers Business School)

Last 3 years until now: analyst and then senior analyst in a Dutch bank in the nederland and then in France

Three languages: French, english and german

Age 30

Can anybody tell me if GRE scores of Q690 and V550 enough? or should I retake it.

Thanks for your response

Can anybody tell me if GRE scores of Q690 and V550 enough? or should I retake it.

Thanks for your response

I'd think that while the 550 is pretty low, you should be ok as English is not your first language. As for the Q, that probably needs to crack the 700 mark if you want to study finance and other mathematically inclined topics.