any fall 2010 applicants?

calling all fall 2010 applicants! we have a long road ahead of us so might as well walk it together! where are yall from and what are degrees are yall applying for?

I'll start, M.A. in international relations: gtown, johnshopkins, american, gw, nyu, mit, yale, columbia, boston u

I understand that its a pretty ambitious list but theres no hurt in trying.

Im from a state school in texas. applying right from undergrad but i have a year of experience in internships and political campaigns

3.72 gpa in criminal justice w/ an anthropology minor

studying for the GRE right now :-(

where are all my fellow fall 2010 applicants from!??!

I'll be applying for 2010 but for Public Affairs mid-career programs. I am looking into HKS, SIPA, and WWS. Which MIT program is IR related?

What resources are you using to prepare for the GRE?

I'll be applying for 2010 but for Public Affairs mid-career programs. I am looking into HKS, SIPA, and WWS. Which MIT program is IR related?

What resources are you using to prepare for the GRE?

hey there,

MIT has a M.A. in IR under their political science department, its very academicly structured. As for the GRE i am currently taking a Kaplan class. The class itself is taught very well but theres nothing that im learning that i can't learn by myself from a regular kaplan, princeton, or barrons GRE prep book that are available at a regular bookstore. That being said, the class did come with a nifty website that includes really specific problems(ex: 800 q problems, 800v problems, 750 q problems, 750 v problems) and lots of practice tests. But i don't know if its worth 1,200 that i paid for. taking my test in july..BRING IT ON

I'm applying for fall 2010.

My initial list of schools to apply to for an mpa/mpp include: indiana-bloomington, nyu, columbia, minnesota-twin cities, ohio state, arizona state, florida state, oklahoma, florida atlantic, gwu, george mason, suny-albany, cuny-baruch

i'm starting to study for my GREs too....i'm just waiting for the Barron prep book to get delivered....even though fall 2010 is awhile from now, it feels much closer because applications usually have to go in by january.

I'll most likely apply for spring 2011 :lol: Can I still write on this topic ? :wink:

no get out of here. leave...haha jk.

I'm applying for fall 2010.

My initial list of schools to apply to for an mpa/mpp include: indiana-bloomington, nyu, columbia, minnesota-twin cities, ohio state, arizona state, florida state, oklahoma, florida atlantic, gwu, george mason, suny-albany, cuny-baruch

i'm starting to study for my GREs too....i'm just waiting for the Barron prep book to get delivered....even though fall 2010 is awhile from now, it feels much closer because applications usually have to go in by january.

yeah deffinetly, we have a busy summer/fall ahead of us

To all of you applying for next year. Knock out the GRE if you can during the summer. This would be good because you will hopefully have a little more free time to prepare for it. Besides once you start preparing your applications, you will be really tied down; especially if you will also be working full time.

I'll start, M.A. in international relations: gtown, johnshopkins, american, gw, syrcause, nyu, mit, yale, columbia, boston u, virginia, pitt, stanford, tufts.

I understand that its a pretty ambitious list but theres no hurt in trying.

Here are some words of wisdom from someone who's been there: focus on figuring what you want to get out of grad school. Those above listed schools are fantastically varied in terms of their focuses and strengths and I, therefore, doubt that all of them offer something that matches well with your needs. Between now and, let's say, September, whittle down the list. If you can make a list of why each school matches your needs and interests, you can write a much more persuasive SOP and you won't need to waste your money on schools that you would never attend if they accept you.

I guess these boards just attract Type As. :D Fall 2010 here too. I'm waffling between economic policy and quantitative IR, which are really nothing alike so I need to get cracking on figuring that out. I'd like heavy stats/quant coursework so I can graduate with a flexible, perhaps more valuable skill set. I'm applying to all the usual suspects, KSG and WWS and some safeties/middle range schools once I figure out which one fits me best...maybe Tufts, Chicago, Columbia's Quantitative Social Science Masters program, possibly a few Econ MAs...I don't want to apply to more than five schools and I know I want to get out of DC since that's where I'll probably be spending most of my working life.

I'm taking the GRE in August. I really need to start studying...I've got a Kaplan book but perhaps I should buy them all. I'm also worried about my letters of recommendation since I'm three years out of school...Ah well. At least I can get good work recs.

whats an average GRE score for lets say mpp/IR programs like Johns hopkins, columbia, and gtown. is it above 1300?

From my notes from last year:

Yale MA: 660 V / 690 Q / 5 A

Georgetown MSFS: 642 V/700 Q/5.2 A

WWS MPA: 632 V / 697 Q

Elliott MA: 609 V / 679 Q / 5.0

Here are my notes from last year, take all of them with a grain of salt. http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgmcz8h6_11dfvhhf9s

Here are my notes from last year, take all of them with a grain of salt. http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgmcz8h6_11dfvhhf9s

Nicely collated Cornell07. Do keep in mind rileypep that these are averages. Meaning people do get in with scores lower than those listed. So no need to fret if you scored say 600 on a section but you have a solid application.

Do keep in mind rileypep that these are averages. Meaning people do get in with scores lower than those listed. So no need to fret if you scored say 600 on a section but you have a solid application.

Do also keep in mind, however, that even perfect scores are not a magic bullet. I'm a good test-taker, but with an unfocused SOP and only a year's work experience, still received rejections from Fletcher, MSFS and HKS. Don't let the GRE become an obstacle for you, because your scores really don't hurt OR help you all that much. Get a decent quant score and then stress about other things.

this is awesome, i was trying to create a similar spread sheet but this will help out a lot. i greatly appreciate it

I am Fall 2010 as well...

I have lived in Germany for two years now (first as a DAAD researcher, now completing my MA in English Literature and Literary Theory with a focus on American literature), so I am applying to programs in the States and Germany.

Stateside I'm looking at the following programs:

Harvard - History of American Civilization

Yale - American Studies

Brown - American Civilization

NYU - American Studies (a bit iffy on this one)

BU - American and New England Studies

Columbia - English (iffy on this one too)

UPenn - English (we'll refer to this application as "That 90 bucks I wasted back in '09.")

Don't really know what my chances are with any of the programs. I have a strong list of awards/prizes (DAAD, two international summer scholarships, thesis of the year at BC), international experience (3 years total, all in various parts of Germany), and a couple of conferences/publications under my belt. I'm not that worried about my writing skills either, I can handle SOPs if I put enough time into it. The parts that make me nervous are:

-knowing how/to what level I should go into my research (though I think I am going to take the approach of presenting my main areas of interest and questions that have driven me/continue to drive me... I hope, with American Studies being such an interdisciplinary cirriculum, the necessity of finding the perfectly correlating professor becomes less important - I think I should be looking for professors whose areas work with mine, but I doubt I will find any working specifically with what interests me).

-my undergraduate GPA (overall: 3.76, English major GPA: 3.834)

-the fact that I have yet to take the GRE (AGH). I have plans to take it in Frankfurt come June.

I'm using the Kaplan book and studying with my boyfriend who is also prepping for PhD apps (composition programs for New Music, not sure what his list of schools is yet)...we learn a dozen new words before sleeping each night. It's working well, hopefully...

Nice to meet everyone, I guess we should buckle down, this crazy ride's just starting...looking forward to it, in some sort of sadistic way.

Best,

Chris :)

I am Fall 2010 as well...

Welcome outofredink. I am thinking the Humanities section may a better fit for you based on your post. Most of the folks in this subsection are policy/IR wonks.

Welcome outofredink. I am thinking the Humanities section may a better fit for you based on your post. Most of the folks in this subsection are policy/IR wonks.

thanks for the welcome FSIA, I missed that this topic was in the policy/it section - my apologies. :)

hello all!

I'll be applying to MPP/MPA or IR Masters (depending on the school) for fall 2010. Schools on my list:

KSG, WWS, SAIS, SIPA, GSPP, Stanford, Fletcher, Yale, maybe UCSD

Currently studying for the GRE (for the 2nd time) and am finishing up my first year working out of undergrad.

Looking forward to meeting you all and discussing grad programs with you! =)

Hello, all,

I'm an international student and should have been finishing my PhD in physics this summer. I applied to HKS for 2009 admission but was rejected. I have to postpone my thesis defense to 2010 so that I have time to try again.

My background? GPA 3.2 undergraduate, 3.6 graduate. GRE (V 680,Q 800)expired, GMAT 790. 3 papers in physics.

My lists? of course HKS first and also need your suggestion for more to secure me an admission in MPP. coz I'm transferring from science to public service.

Hey Guys!

I'm appling to MPP programs at UCB, HKS and UT-Austin along with Northwestern's IMC program and LSE MSc in Politics and Communications.

I'm going into my senior year and hope to go directly into grad school. I study political science with a concentration in politics and communications at a top 3 school (HYP). My GPA is a paltry 3.56 with a 3.75 in my major. I'm taking the GREs this summer! I have a pretty strong background in economics with coursework in intermediate micro/macro and econometrics. In terms of work experience, I've worked on numerous political campaigns and with a student-run PAC along with internships in government relations and strategic planning at an advertising firm. I know my list is really ambitious, but the LSE program is probably my top choice and it is perhaps the least competitive...

Good luck everyone and I'm sure we'll be collectively stressing out for like the next 9 months....

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fall 2010.

My target school for IR is Fletcher, Georgetown, SAIS, IGA(HKS), SIPA, Elliot, LSE and Oxford. However, I will also apply for the East Asian Studies program in UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, U Michigan, Harvard, Yale and Columbia.

I know my list is extremely ambitious, but I will try my best...otherwise, I may just stay in Hong Kong for a few more years to take a JD here. About myself, I am an oversea student from mainland China, and currently taking my undergrad in Hong Kong with major in History and minor in Econ. My school is not as famous as those top US college, but still ranked within top five in Asia. My GPA is around 3.45/3.72 (cumulative/Major) and 4.0 (UC Berkeley summer school). Although my score is paltry, I am listed among the top three students in my apartment, and very likely can graduate with first honor. Besides my scholarship/awards records( full scholarship, dean's list, class scholarship...), I've also had various internship/working experience in past three years, including a three-month internship in Cairo, six-month in a small education services company as a assistant project director, and a two-month RA experience for a IR professor. I have a rich international travel experience with over 15 countries, including Syria, Lebanon, Israel, India and many countries in southern part of Africa. My native language is Chinese and have some basic knowledge in Arabic and Japanese. I am planning to take a further study in Arabic next semester since I am deeply interested in that region and would like to choice Sino-Middle East relations as my concentration in grad school. So the Arabic is a must for me:(

However, one of my weak parts is the GRE score. I did not get a good score in my first GRE test, especially the verbal part (I got 800 in Q, but only 600 in V and 4.5 in AW). I will take my second test in Oct, and I am working on it now!

Do you have some suggestions for me? or do you know any disadvantages when the grad schools are looking at those oversea students?

I am a fall 2010.

My target school for IR is Fletcher, Georgetown, SAIS, IGA(HKS), SIPA, Elliot, LSE and Oxford. However, I will also apply for the East Asian Studies program in UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, U Michigan, Harvard, Yale and Columbia.

I know my list is extremely ambitious, but I will try my best...otherwise, I may just stay in Hong Kong for a few more years to take a JD here. About myself, I am an oversea student from mainland China, and currently taking my undergrad in Hong Kong with major in History and minor in Econ. My school is not as famous as those top US college, but still ranked within top five in Asia. My GPA is around 3.45/3.72 (cumulative/Major) and 4.0 (UC Berkeley summer school). Although my score is paltry, I am listed among the top three students in my apartment, and very likely can graduate with first honor. Besides my scholarship/awards records( full scholarship, dean's list, class scholarship...), I've also had various internship/working experience in past three years, including a three-month internship in Cairo, six-month in a small education services company as a assistant project director, and a two-month RA experience for a IR professor. I have a rich international travel experience with over 15 countries, including Syria, Lebanon, Israel, India and many countries in southern part of Africa. My native language is Chinese and have some basic knowledge in Arabic and Japanese. I am planning to take a further study in Arabic next semester since I am deeply interested in that region and would like to choice Sino-Middle East relations as my concentration in grad school. So the Arabic is a must for me:(

However, one of my weak parts is the GRE score. I did not get a good score in my first GRE test, especially the verbal part (I got 800 in Q, but only 600 in V and 4.5 in AW). I will take my second test in Oct, and I am working on it now!

Do you have some suggestions for me? or do you know any disadvantages when the grad schools are looking at those oversea students?

good to see all the 2010 contenders trickling in. I am also going to be applying for fall of 2010 so I am not a connoisseur by any means. But 800q/600v is a very respectable score and i dont know if its worth retaking the test for another 20-40 points. Unless, of course, if youre highly confident on being able to significantly improve your already decent score of 600.