Two Jobs While Attending?

Jokenberry

Accept second job?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should I accept the second position?

• Yes
    • No

Hey,

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so apologize if it's in the wrong sub-forum.

Anyway, I will be attending the University of Minnesota's School of Public Health for the next two years. My initial offer was a scholarship and RA position (which includes a tuition waiver and wages). The job demands about 10 hours a week, marked as "flexible," if that is important.

I've been told that the school has an open graduate assistant position that is mine if I so desire. The GA position is also 10 hours a week, but I believe they give out specific shifts (so I'd have preset work hours).

With the first job, my total COA is just under 40k, mostly from COL, which would be about 45k at graduation. If I took the second position, my total COA would be about 14.5k, all from COL, which would be about 16k at graduation. However, I would also have a 20 hour workload (assuming it is strict at 20hours, which I think isn't necessarily a good assumption) on top of a 16-14 credit load (sem1-sem2).

Relevant info:

Job placement for UMN in this major is 100% (6 months out). That's a firm 100%, nothing school funded.They are very transparent with their placement info. Students typically go into either A.) a 1 or 2 year fellowship at a hospital (salary range: 45-60k, average in low 50s) before transitioning into a "real job" or B.) a "real job" right away (salary range 70k-140k first year, avg in low 90s).

Ideally, I'd like to do a fellowship because most of the "real jobs" right out of school are of the consulting genre, which Im not really interested in (at least early on). Plus, my previous work experience isn't directly related to the field (but it is relevant work experience), which really limits my options.

I am single, so the workload wouldn't be ruining a more important relationship, but I also would love to have some free time in Minneapolis to live life and stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I welcome all opinions on this. I worked full-time during the last three years of UG career, so I feel like I could handle the workload. However, this is a masters that I assume will be quite a bit more demanding. Full disclosure: I'm leaning toward accepting the position. But I'm not leaning so much so that I couldn't be persuaded, so I'd love to hear from people who have experience in a similar situation.

Thanks for reading through. I appreciate any and all comments.

Edited by Jokenberry

Most grad students with TAs or RAs are contracted to 16-20 hours per week. The two 10-hour week positions would be 20 hours so you should be fine, provided you log your hours and keep careful track of whether one job or the other is causing you to do extra hours.

Take it! While it's two jobs, it's two 10-hour(ish) jobs, which is about what most GA/TAs do anyway. If nothing else, it's a foot in the TA/GA door! I have two jobs now (20 hours TAing and 20-25 hours elsewhere) and it sucks because I love sleeping and I don't get to do much of it.

The key is to organize yourself and your time. It helps to know your specific hours in advance and I'm sure RAs around here and elsewhere have a lot of advice to give on managing their RA work.