Fall 2015 Applicants

Last year I watched all 5 seasons of Fringe - highly recommend if you are looking for a pretty decent show and something engrossing enough to keep your mind from application results.

I've heard good things about that one. Maybe...

If you get accepted to Amherst, maybe I will see you around!

I highly recommend Sabrina if you're into talking mechanical cat puppets from the 90s. 

Um, who ISN'T into talking mechanical cat puppets from the 90s?

I've generally been working on my applications while babysitting after school online credit recovery classes, so that's my 'distraction' ("Miss, I failed my quiz, can you give me another retake?"). As for engrossing trash TV, Revenge and Pretty Little Liars.  But once my applications are in, I have a lot of fluffy historical fiction on my reading list.

I've heard good things about that one. Maybe...

If you get accepted to Amherst, maybe I will see you around!

I'm applying there too!

How are we feeling about funding at Amherst? I was not enthused by their support info. It sounds like they don't fund 50% of the incoming cohort?

I'm not feeling great about it but I think those sweetheart funding deals are too few and far between to expect, particularly in bioarch. There just aren't enough programs and the ones with the best funding (looking at you Vanderbilt) are in places (looking at you The South) that I'm not willing to live.

From my understanding, which is limited, funding is not guaranteed and varies year to year, but there is some sort of structure in place. Looking at the results board it seems that most admits have been funded around 17 or 18 a year. Which isn't brilliant but I'd be fine with it. This is my third round of applications, so I find myself much less picky about funding.

How are we feeling about funding at Amherst? I was not enthused by their support info. It sounds like they don't fund 50% of the incoming cohort?

I don't go to Amherst.

I could to UMASS-Boston. My program is funded.

If you don't get funding, don't go ... is my motto.

Edited by AKCarlton

Little late to the party here, it's comforting knowing that the stress of this application season is a shared experience!  Anyone else here looking at anthro programs with a museum studies concentration or vice versa?

My online app is filled out, transcripts uploaded it's just a matter of adding my SOP and writing sample.  They need some work but I refuse to put in more than an hour here and an hour there.  Plus, I work weekends I don't have the time. 

yep, I've got two due monday and the sample to finish, the sop to finish, the personal history to finish (good grief, berkeley), but also am sitting around have a very nice coze with the family...... need to get a little push to the home stretch! where are you all getting that last inkling of inspiration?

I had to write a personal contributions for UCSB.  I discuss my non-academic life--activism, volunteer work, farming, etc. 

My last inkling of inspiration is non-existent. My fuel is fear abject fucking terror. 

I'll need it. I just spent 45 minutes deciding which Thai place I'll be ordering delivery from in six hours. Clearly I am a master of task-management.

Thai is good. What did you get? Was it spicy? Tonight I'll settle for pork chops from piggies I farrowed. 

Amherst is a great prorgram with wonderful people. But the funding is a disaster - it's like CUNY Grad Center used to be before the new funding program there. My offer from Amherst was $18,000 with a tuition waiver. This is pretty standard there despite what they say online. Sounds ok at first, but the problems with it are:

• Tuition waiver ONLY applies when you are working as a TA. You stop working? You owe them the full yearly tuition (~$29,000).
  • Funding is ONLY gauranteed for your first year, after that, they can do whatever they want.
  • Funding is a TAship, so it requires that you start working 20 hours/week in your first year.
  • Most students I spoke to there said that after 2 years there aren't really any TAships or funding.
  • Average time to finish there is 8 years, LOTS of requirements to complete before you can start research and writing.

If it weren't for the funding I would have accepted their offer. They recognize the issues which is why they write that they don't fund most students, but it's kind of deceptive when you get an offer from them because it sounds like they're going to fund you until you really look at the details - details they don't talk about on the web site. None of this is their fault, it's the public university system they're stuck with.

Feel free to message me with questions about it too.

Edited by DanJackson

If it weren't for the funding I would have accepted their offer. They recognize the issues which is why they write that they don't fund most students, but it's kind of deceptive when you get an offer from them because it sounds like they're going to fund you until you really look at the details - details they don't talk about on the web site. None of this is their fault, it's the public university system they're stuck with.

Feel free to message me with questions about it too.

Thanks! This is so helpful to know. I suppose it is a "cross that bridge when you come to it" scenario, but I'd still rather know now.