SLP California Applicants for Fall 2015

Hey guys... I know I'm starting super early and probably won't get too many responses for now but just wanted to keep myself accountable and also prepared for the next 8-9 months of the agony which we call the graduate application and admission process. I just finished taking my GRE today and the scores are decent but I feel like I can do better.  

My top choices for schools as of right are University of Pacific, SDSU and CSULB. I'm hoping I can get in to one of them! 

Where are you applying to? 

I am looking to apply to extended masters programs, but my GPA is low. Are there any schools in California that are more lenient or holistic re: GPA?

Hello! I'm new here, out of field, I'm not a CA resident, not living in US right now (I guess I should be categorized as an international student), but I really wanna get this degree in CA. I'm applying to extended master's programs or programs without prerequisites. My choices right now are University of Pacific, SDSU and CSUEB. I'm still looking into other schools and programs, not limited to CA(but schools in CA are my top choices). I know those schools in CA are always super competitive. I did my GRE last year but not good enough, so I'm gonna do it again this Aug. 

This is my first time applying SLP programs. so nervous!!!Hope I can get into one of them!

Hey there! Linguistics grad last year and now in Utah State's second degree program for CD, looking to apply for Fall of 2015 for programs mostly in CA, but a few out of state too. Really worried about the competitiveness of CA schools! 

@Pandasa: if you're out of field, SDSU won't accept you. Their admissions advisers recommend doing a postbac somewhere else and then applying to them.

@Pandasa: if you're out of field, SDSU won't accept you. Their admissions advisers recommend doing a postbac somewhere else and then applying to them.

Really? OH!I have to check again! @Chandru1, Any other choices in CA for out of field applicants?

Extended masters: SJSU, East Bay, Redlands, Pacific.

Second Bachelors: Sacramento.

Certificate/Postbac: LA, CSUN (fully online, with auto admission to online masters), Fullerton, Long Beach, Chapman, Dominguez Hills.

Finally, San Marcos and Fresno allow you to take open university courses.

I've talked to SJ, Hayward, Pacific, and LA, and they recommend a stellar GPA before applying. I don't have that, so the only one I'll apply to is Pacific (if I have >320 on the GRE).

Thanks Chandru1 ! Will you consider some online postbac programs? or taking some prerequisite courses online before you apply? I'm thinking about doing some of those prerequisites online this Fall, but I guess I can only do 1 or 2 courses since I have to work full time. but I'm not sure if it helps....

Seems like GPA in US system is really high!I saw most of your signatures with GPA like 3.8,3.9! In my system, I got like only 3.4 but I was awarded first-class honor. Don't know if they evaluate that in the same way :( ...I'm getting super nervous right now :unsure: Anyway, good luck on your GRE :) !

Edited by pandasa

I personally work better in the in-class setting, so I really don't want to do any online classes. For easier to get into programs, I've heard Fullerton and Dominguez Hills are essentially guaranteed acceptance, but I could be wrong.

I have a 2.9 currently, so it looks like a postbac may be needed...

Thank you! Same with you!

Hi everyone! There are people that replied. :)

@Chandru1 I feel like most CA schools aren't that lenient at all mainly because they have such a big applicant pool with many people who have higher GPA's.  It's unfortunate that CA programs aren't ranked that high but are still so competitive. 

@alecvdpoel and @Chandru1 I heard it's easier to get in as Post-Bac.  My friend from CSF didn't get in first time around but got into San Jose this time and it seems like San Jose is a pretty picky school. So chin up, it seems like you guys have a good chance. 

@pandasa I'm not super knowledgeable about your situation but it seems logical that it would be to your advantage to take a few prerequisite courses so you'll 1) feel more prepared for the field going in and 2) save some time and money. Also your Q score is pretty good and since schools only look at your top scores just focus on verbal and writing this time around. And Chandru1 is right, SDSU recently changed their policy regarding out of field.  It's a little bit confusing on their website because one place says that you can but there's another page where they state that there is no longer this option.  I know U of Pacific still offers out of field 24-month program. 

Overall I have heard that sometimes it might be wise to go out of state, get your degree, practice for two years and them come back with experience. Or if you can figure out a way to get an externship out here in CA you can just get licensed for CA and it won't matter that you're at a school out of state. 

I have been looking into a few out of states...I really like Portland State's postbac.

I talked to the secretary at SJSU and she said that if you want to go there and are out of field, apply for their 3 year program. Applicants for the 2 year program have to compete with SJSU undergrads, who are favored in admission...

@LAmeizi Thanks so much! Are you major in SLP? or did your postbac somewhere?  Actually I'm now also thinking about quitting my job and start full time postbac/2nd bachelor online at Utah State this fall. But I'm not sure if it's possible to complete the whole program within one year and start grad school next fall. 

@Chandru1 Are you going to do postbac this year? I checked SJSU as well, but they require CBEST not GRE, is it easier? I've never heard about CBEST before.....

I've heard Utah state is possible to finish in a year, if you do it full time.

CBEST = basic education skills test. I've heard it's easy, since they're just testing that you can teach K-12 education.

I'm graduating with a BA in linguistics in spring 2015, and I'll either postbac or join an extended masters afterwards.

@LAmeizi Thanks so much! Are you major in SLP? or did your postbac somewhere?  Actually I'm now also thinking about quitting my job and start full time postbac/2nd bachelor online at Utah State this fall. But I'm not sure if it's possible to complete the whole program within one year and start grad school next fall. 

@Chandru1 Are you going to do postbac this year? I checked SJSU as well, but they require CBEST not GRE, is it easier? I've never heard about CBEST before.....

Pandasa,

I am a current student of Utah State University. I am taking my prerequisite classes and thinking to take my ASHA requirement classes from them as well. This is my second term. I have taken 6 classes so far. I wanted to let you know that it is pretty intense. Their 2nd bac. is 12 classes total, I think. Which means you will need to take 6 classes per term (fall and spring) or maybe divide into 3 terms (fall-spring-summer, they have a summer term) and take 4 classes per term. This second is more doable, but I tell you their classes are intense, you will need to study very hard as most grad schools want to see all A's in the post-bac transcripts. As you know the field is very competitive.

Also, you should give a decision pretty soon. Fall term classes of Utah start in August 25, if I am not mistaken.

Briefly, Utah online is doable! I like their system and I would recommend it. Hope this helps!

@Chandru1 That's good to know CBEST is easy. I probably can do that after my GRE.

@Bapple Thanks!!That really helps!! yeah I'm actually thinking about doing this in 3 terms, but still pretty intense. I heard that Utah online is great. well the tuition is not cheap though.....Seems that I should make my decision before August  :blink:

I'm in SoCal & would like to do an on-campus program. I know for sure that I'll be applying to CSU Fullerton, Loma Linda, Redlands, and Chapman...then I'll probably throw 1-2 online programs into the mix. I will not be taking the GRE until September, so that is still an unknown. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I've been stalking the forums for a while now and it's finally my time to jump in!!

My first choice is CSUN and I hope that I won't have to consider anything else :P For the person who asked about schools with a more medical focus, I know that CSUN's master program is a Masters of Science, whereas some other schools are Masters of Arts...

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm not so weird for thinking about applying for grad school this early = u =;

I want to say that I have seen many posts talking about how competitive CA grad programs are when they're not ranked so highly.  How are the programs ranked?  I always had this feeling that schools were more ranked based off how much they were funded and for their research.  Do you think it's true for ranking of SLP schools?  If so, I don't think ranking is too important in my case since I want to apply to a school that is more clinical based than research based.   

Even though CA is my home state, I feel really uncertain about applying to a bunch of schools in state because of how competitive it is.  My GPA and GRE scores are ok, but coming to the forums makes me feel like an underachiever Q_Q.  My current GPA is 3.655 and my GRE scores is Q155/V151/AW4.0.  I really don't want to retake the GRE since my Verbal score dips up and down on practice tests.  The only thing that seems to make up my scores is the clinical and hospital experience I get from volunteering.   

Well...my first choice for a school in California is probably SJSU because of the many clinics and programs the school website talked about.  It looks very promising and I would be very happy if I got in. 

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone... It's already October and my anxiety is at an all time high! 

Does anyone know anything about CSUN's residential program? I can't find any information on the website and I'm unable to attend any of the orientation meetings. Also, I obviously have a very mediocre GPA... should I not even bother with schools like CSULB, CSULA, or Chapman? Thanks!

Hey everyone... It's already October and my anxiety is at an all time high! 

Does anyone know anything about CSUN's residential program? I can't find any information on the website and I'm unable to attend any of the orientation meetings. Also, I obviously have a very mediocre GPA... should I not even bother with schools like CSULB, CSULA, or Chapman? Thanks!

Be careful for CSULB.  I looked at their requirements for admission and they don't seem to ask for LOR and the personal statement is more of a resume.  I remember people posting last year that the school had group interviews.  CSULB also tends to favor their undergraduates, but I've seen people out of CSULB get accepted into the program.   

I went to Chapman's info session and they seem to be focusing more on the overall picture of your application, like your GPA, gre, personal statement, volunteer hours, etc. 

• 4 months later...