Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Hi, everyone! I'm applying to PhD programs this fall, and I'm trying to assess my strengths and weaknesses as I start my SOPs. I have yet to take the GRE, but I'm not too concerned as I have plenty of time to re-take if need be. I'm applying to Columbia, MIT, UCSD, Michigan, UofChicago, Harvard, Emory, and WashU. Will likely add a couple more as I'd like to apply to an even 10 schools. My stats are below - any advice or assessment of my chances would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has similar research interests (or knowledge of) and knows of departments I'm overlooking, I'd love suggestions. Thanks in advance!

UGrad GPA: 3.92 (Large public university in the Pacific Northwest)

UGrad Political Science GPA: 3.8 with Honors

GRE: N/A

Math/Methods: Intro to Statistics (I know my lack of coursework up to calculus may hurt, but I'm great with statistics and expect to do well on the quant. portion of the GRE - I've just never taken the actual classes) and introductory Political Science Methods 

Research Experience: 1 year undergraduate research fellowship working on independent research with original dataset; Honors thesis utilizing quantitative and qualitative methods; experience with Stata

Accomplishments: Best Senior Thesis (Political Science); Honorable Mention - University Research Award (open to all campuses and all departments)

Publications: None

Presentations: Poster Session, Research Symposium

Letters:

-1 from extremely respected Public Law scholar

-1 from highly-regarded Americanist specializing in Congressional and State Politics

-1 from young Associate Professor (AP) 

All very favorable letters (their words) from faculty with whom I've worked very closely

Languages: English (native), Spanish (intermediate)

Non-Academic

-Upcoming human rights organization internship in South America

Research Interests: AP/IR (mixed quant/qual methods) - U.S. foreign policy in Latin America, domestic incentives in foreign policy decision-making processes (particularly military aid appropriations)

Misc.: I'm a bit older (30), so my age/experience may make a bit of a difference? In a good way I hope!

Research Interests: AP/IR (mixed quant/qual methods) - U.S. foreign policy in Latin America, domestic incentives in foreign policy decision-making processes (particularly military aid appropriations)

watch out in your sop of being too regionally focused in IR.

I have a question (possibly a silly one) about how adcomms view courses taken by the students online (Coursera). I want to build my mathematical base before entering graduate school, and for that, I have been planning on taking courses online. However, I am a little confused. I could take these courses at a local college, but it would cost me considerable amounts of money. The material benefit of going to college for these classes is the transcript with grades on it for the adcomms to view and evaluate. However, Coursera offers free courses, but if I spend some money, they would provide a 'verified certificate;' still, with no grades on it to sufficiently allow the adcomms to evaluate my mathematical training.

Therefore, I am not sure where to go from here. It might be helpful to also note that I have very little mathematical training, so these are the courses I am looking to take: statistics and probability, algebra, calculus, real time analysis, and econometrics. Also, I'd appreciate if you could suggest any other good courses.

I have a question (possibly a silly one) about how adcomms view courses taken by the students online (Coursera). I want to build my mathematical base before entering graduate school, and for that, I have been planning on taking courses online. However, I am a little confused. I could take these courses at a local college, but it would cost me considerable amounts of money. The material benefit of going to college for these classes is the transcript with grades on it for the adcomms to view and evaluate. However, Coursera offers free courses, but if I spend some money, they would provide a 'verified certificate;' still, with no grades on it to sufficiently allow the adcomms to evaluate my mathematical training.

Therefore, I am not sure where to go from here. It might be helpful to also note that I have very little mathematical training, so these are the courses I am looking to take: statistics and probability, algebra, calculus, real time analysis, and econometrics. Also, I'd appreciate if you could suggest any other good courses.

With caveats that each admissions commitee is different, I would say that we would consider your coursera classes much the way you might expect; as indication that you have the initiative to learn the content you need, but not necessarily as an indication of aptitude. However, if the alternative is a local college, it is possible (depending on which college it is you speak of) that performance in those courses would be a weak signal as well; there's a lot of variation in grading standards for this kind of thing, and in the content/depth covered in any course, such that unless it's at a school we know about it can be hard to interpret (and frankly, even then it's a challenge). Your best bet might be to do a bunch of coursera courses, indicate this on your CV and possibly in the statement, and then make sure to do really well on the GRE quant section, while possibly writing a writing sample that uses some of what you've learned. 

I am an international student, so the local colleges that I refer to are bound to be unknown to the admissions committees. This raises another question: since it would be beneficial to the applicant to make sure that all relevant information is conveyed to the adcomms, how would you suggest to tackle the issue of unknown colleges/grading standards? Would the adcomms be interested in viewing the syllabuses of the courses taken to get a better idea of content/depth? However, it might be too time-consuming for a committee that has to evaluate around 500 applications.

I appreciate your suggestion to demonstrate the learned content through GRE quant section and writing sample; I think it is the best way to move forward.  

Thank you, RWBG!

Hey guys! I'm coming back for my second cycle this year, after a tough one last year. I thought I had a pretty good chance (decent GPA at good BA/MA programs, RA experience, strong rec letters), but of course the competition is extremely fierce. One thing which stuck out was that I had kind of asymmetric results: I got into one excellent PhD program in the UK (sadly without funding), but completely struck out on American programs even going a fair ways down the ladder.

This suggested to me two possible reasons for this could be 1) that my weak quant GRE placed me below the cutoff at American programs and/or 2) my statement of purpose was weak (for European programs I submitted research proposals rather than an SOP).

That said, I wanted to ask a favor of the more experienced members of the board (especially those already started in PhD programs). Would anyone have the time to look over my SoP at some point? I know you're all very busy, but since the more experienced members have been very giving with their time and advice in the past, I thought it would be worth a try. Please PM me if so. Thanks!  

Maybe the question is, did you apply to places that have people who study constructivist political economy?

Sure, to some extent. I recognize that American academia isn't overflowing with constructivists, especially in political economy. But while my core interest is in the role of ideas in shaping economic policy (especially during crisis), I have a regional focus on the EU, as well as more specific interests surrounding austerity politics and their impact on left-right polarization. I found that there were a decent number of departments that ticked at least most of these boxes, in their regional or substantive focuses, even if constructivist-heavy departments were few and far between. But if anything comes to mind, suggestions of departments to apply to this time around would be very welcome!  

Edited by NYCBluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I introduced myself on this forum a ways back, but I thought I'd put myself in this thread, since this will be my first (ideally also my last) cycle. I'm in my senior year of my undergrad at a small liberal arts college, and I want to pursue a doctorate in American politics, specifically, legislative studies (both Congressional and state).

Right now I have a 3.66 GPA, though my Poli-Sci GPA is 3.81, and I haven't gotten anything lower than an A since first semester sophomore year. I have yet to take my GREs, though judging from practice tests taken on Magoosh and other sites should be somewhere in the range of 165+ for Verbal, around 160 for Quantitative.

This summer I won a fellowship and was able to work on an original research paper on polarization and gridlock in state legislatures, which I'm continuing throughout this year to expand and polish for research honors. I'm also quite interested in the ways religion affects political actors, and did some original research my sophomore year for a class concerning the voting behavior of Catholic members of Congress. In addition, I have internship experience in Illinois state government and the Scottish Parliament  (I definitely have sympathy for you, RLemkin).

My top schools I'm looking at right now include Duke, University of Chicago, and Notre Dame (mostly for the poli-sci/religion connection some of their people have), though I have a much longer list of possibilities I'm evaluating. Hope I haven't been too long winded!

Hello everyone! I introduced myself on this forum a ways back, but I thought I'd put myself in this thread, since this will be my first (ideally also my last) cycle. I'm in my senior year of my undergrad at a small liberal arts college, and I want to pursue a doctorate in American politics, specifically, legislative studies (both Congressional and state).

Right now I have a 3.66 GPA, though my Poli-Sci GPA is 3.81, and I haven't gotten anything lower than an A since first semester sophomore year. I have yet to take my GREs, though judging from practice tests taken on Magoosh and other sites should be somewhere in the range of 165+ for Verbal, around 160 for Quantitative.

This summer I won a fellowship and was able to work on an original research paper on polarization and gridlock in state legislatures, which I'm continuing throughout this year to expand and polish for research honors. I'm also quite interested in the ways religion affects political actors, and did some original research my sophomore year for a class concerning the voting behavior of Catholic members of Congress. In addition, I have internship experience in Illinois state government and the Scottish Parliament  (I definitely have sympathy for you, RLemkin).

My top schools I'm looking at right now include Duke, University of Chicago, and Notre Dame (mostly for the poli-sci/religion connection some of their people have), though I have a much longer list of possibilities I'm evaluating. Hope I haven't been too long winded!

Hello! It's awfully quiet around here, but it'll pick up soon enough. Good luck with your research project and the GRE, I found Magoosh pretty accurate. I've been out of things for a wee while myself, but eager to get going again. 

Scotland is still conspiring to be as big a distraction as possible, latest polling is beginning to show a big swing toward the pro-independence side, with 18 days to go...

I've always been a bit of a political anorak, but it's bewildering...  impossible to go outside without hearing people talking about it.

Hello all! 

Planning to apply for a MA in Political Science. Specializing in Political Theory/IR. 

Research Interests are in Ancient Political Thought, Contemporary Political Theory, Critical Theory and Democratic Theory. 

My interests in IR are predominantly from a theoretical perspective with two main theories - Marxism and Realism.

Undergrad at McMaster University, CGPA is at about 3.15, L2/B2 at about 3.55. Not sure if this matters, but have been working part time for entire duration of undergrad, as well as participated in executive roles in on campus clubs. Also a member of a few intramural teams. 

Looking to apply at York, UofT, McMaster, Waterloo, and UBC. 

Had a few questions in regards to the admissions process. 

At some institutions I've done research on, they require a CGPA of a B+ (3.3) and require a L2 average of also a B+. Have there been cases where people may not have the requisite CGPA, but meet the L2 average and have gotten into schools? I'm looking at UofT and UBC mainly for this requirement.

Also, is there a particular advantage to e-mailing professors prior to submitting your application to identify similar research interests? For this, I'm looking at York, since they have a lot of breadth in Critical Theory. 

Are there any other schools in Canada that I may be forgetting to include that have a strong Political Theory program? Or IR with a strong theoretical focus?

Finally, after completion of the MA, in terms of a PhD admission, will the institution where you took the MA matter, or is it simply focused on the GPA of your MA degree?

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone!

Edited by twinsora

Hello all! 

Planning to apply for a MA in Political Science. Specializing in Political Theory/IR. 

Research Interests are in Ancient Political Thought, Contemporary Political Theory, Critical Theory and Democratic Theory. 

My interests in IR are predominantly from a theoretical perspective with two main theories - Marxism and Realism.

Undergrad at McMaster University, CGPA is at about 3.15, L2/B2 at about 3.55. Not sure if this matters, but have been working part time for entire duration of undergrad, as well as participated in executive roles in on campus clubs. Also a member of a few intramural teams. 

Looking to apply at York, UofT, McMaster, Waterloo, and UBC. 

Had a few questions in regards to the admissions process. 

At some institutions I've done research on, they require a CGPA of a B+ (3.3) and require a L2 average of also a B+. Have there been cases where people may not have the requisite CGPA, but meet the L2 average and have gotten into schools? I'm looking at UofT and UBC mainly for this requirement.

Also, is there a particular advantage to e-mailing professors prior to submitting your application to identify similar research interests? For this, I'm looking at York, since they have a lot of breadth in Critical Theory. 

Are there any other schools in Canada that I may be forgetting to include that have a strong Political Theory program? Or IR with a strong theoretical focus?

Finally, after completion of the MA, in terms of a PhD admission, will the institution where you took the MA matter, or is it simply focused on the GPA of your MA degree?

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone!

You aren't looking at McGill? They have a number of profs in your interests including Winters and Roberts in Marxism/Critical Theory, and Abizadeh in democratic theory. Although, the IR faculty is rather small and less theory based (more driven towards institutions, political economy, and conflict). 

I have no idea what L2 is.

I wouldn't really email profs except to ask if they will be around, particularly for prospective masters programs.

Edited by victorydance

I was planning to apply to McGill, but from what I can see on their website, I can't seem to find anything pertaining to admission averages/requirements. I would imagine that their admission requirements are about the same as UofT or UBC. 

I think in an ideal world, if I were wholly focused on both democratic & critical theory, McGill would be a good fit, but for the purposes of being more employable, I'd like to have a bit of IR in there. 

L2 = Last two years avg, B2 = Best two years avg

Personally, I would advise you to throw your name in the lot at a big number of schools. At the end of the day, admissions are pretty random and Canadian masters programs aren't exactly crazy competitive. Your GPA isn't horrible so you might as well apply to the big ones (UBC, UofT, McGill) as well as more mid tier schools that are good fits.

As long as you can afford it, you should be applying to multiple universities regardless of "average admission GPA" as long as they are good fits.

I wouldn't really worry about the IR thing. Unless you are planning on writing your thesis on IR/Theory mix, it doesn't really matter because all schools will have a number of IR classes available to you to take. 

I was planning to apply to McGill, but from what I can see on their website, I can't seem to find anything pertaining to admission averages/requirements. I would imagine that their admission requirements are about the same as UofT or UBC. 

I think in an ideal world, if I were wholly focused on both democratic & critical theory, McGill would be a good fit, but for the purposes of being more employable, I'd like to have a bit of IR in there. 

L2 = Last two years avg, B2 = Best two years avg

"The department typically receives between 350-450 total applications for an entering MA class of 25-35 and an entering PhD class of 5-8 students. Successful applicants typically have CGPAs of 3.5 or above."

http://www.mcgill.ca/politicalscience/gradapp/gradfaq/

So half of those applicants can be tossed out because they are morons or don't have everything in on time  or don't even meet the application requirements or barely speak english. The rough rule, and I could be mistaken on this, is that they admit about twice as many people as they intend to enroll. So let's say there are about 200 actually reasonable applications, and they send out offers for the MA program to about 60 people. That's not insanely competitive. Give it a shot!

I figure I'd post here to ask about some more theory related questions - I know that, arguably, the leading theorist of the 20th century was Rawls. Is there a particular institution that would be good for social contract theory? I know that this is definitely a more particular field of study within theory, as compared to critical theory/democratic theory, but it is likely to be something that I will pursue in terms of a thesis or in research. 

Afraid I can't help with theory :/.

British politics going into a bit of a frenzy, first poll to show support for Scottish independence ahead.. 

---

Still waiting for my official GRE scores to come up.. couldn't write them down and I was rather nervous that I can't remember precisely what they were now! Also trying to work on my SOP and finalise my list of schools, considering applying to12 ± 3... provided my referees are OK with so many.. oh for a standardised system for these letters! I hate feeling like I'm imposing on people's time, especially to deal with all this awkward bureaucracy.

Edited by RLemkin

It's quiet... Too quiet. 

But for real, how is everyone's cycle going so far? 

Fine... still drafting the personal statement before I send it to my letter writers. That and obsessing over my final list of places to apply to.

How are you doing?

It's quiet... Too quiet. 

But for real, how is everyone's cycle going so far? 

Just met with a few professors for advice on the admissions process, drafting personal statements, finalizing potential reference letters. 

The life of the applicant. 

And I figure I'd toss my hat into a few professional MA's as well as Political Science MA's.

Yeah I think I am going to have something like 10 Ph.D. + 4 MA applications. 

I have been studying for the GRE for over 6 months now and I feel ready. It's been a pretty arduous journey but I am just doing a lot of practice tests and focusing solely on my weaknesses now.

The hardest part for me is definitely the SOP. 70% of it is pretty straightforward, but the research interests and potential line of inquiry section has been tough. The problem is I already have very defined interests for a undergrad, so I am really going into detail on this section and it has to be good.

On the other hand, having well defined interests makes picking which schools to apply to really easy. I already know who the top scholars are in my area and I know where they all are. It also allows me to submit a really strong writing sample that is directly pertinent to my research interests, which I think is a nice advantage.

Edited by victorydance

Fine... still drafting the personal statement before I send it to my letter writers. That and obsessing over my final list of places to apply to.

How are you doing?

I'm basically in the same place. Also polishing my writing sample and taking the GRE Tuesday. Yippee!!!! I've done a couple practices and they've gone well but I still wanted to give myself enough time to retake if need be.