FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

They have similar research interests, but I had one main POI and I guess the other one wants to interview me for fun. He said he was very impressed with my app, maybe that's why.

Hi, newbie here. I applied to some schools for this fall but so far no calls, nothing whatsoever :( But it's nice to see people here posting about getting emails from POIs!

Just curious, what did your main POI talk to you about? 

Hi, newbie here. I applied to some schools for this fall but so far no calls, nothing whatsoever :( But it's nice to see people here posting about getting emails from POIs!

Just curious, what did your main POI talk to you about? 

Where did you apply? People don't send interview requests all around at once and it usually seems to be pretty informal. There's still hope!

He said he read my file with interest and wanted to talk to me on the phone, that's it really.

Where did you apply? People don't send interview requests all around at once and it usually seems to be pretty informal. There's still hope!

He said he read my file with interest and wanted to talk to me on the phone, that's it really.

Pretty sure no hope from McGill. Haven't been contacted yet. I didn't even know there would be an interview! Now waiting for UBC and Michigan. 

The worst thing is I didn't know about this forum until after all the applications! I would definitely have done more and applied to more if I knew. 

I heard the chance of getting an offer is basically close to zero if you haven't approached any POIs before the application, AND I'm an international student, so now it's like waiting for the rejection emails  <_<

I know I can apply again next year but this feeling just sucks, big time :( 

Hooray!

Congratz!!!

I heard the chance of getting an offer is basically close to zero if you haven't approached any POIs before the application, AND I'm an international student, so now it's like waiting for the rejection emails  <_<

I don't know about that, I've heard different opinions in the linguistics community!

Also, Chiki thanks for the encouragement! We'll see! Keep us posted on how your interviews go! Let's hope for the best (for all of us :) )

Edited by Garyon

I don't think this is true! Not in my experience, anyway -- I've never approached anyone and I'm also an international student (and I was also accepted to UBC, one of the schools you listed). So don't lose hope!

I don't know about that, I've heard different opinions in the linguistics community!

Also, Chiki thanks for the encouragement! We'll see! Keep us posted on how your interviews go! Let's hope for the best (for all of us :) )

Yes! And best of luck!

I don't think this is true! Not in my experience, anyway -- I've never approached anyone and I'm also an international student (and I was also accepted to UBC, one of the schools you listed). So don't lose hope!

Thanks! This certainly makes me feel a lot better! While I'm preparing myself for the bad news, I sure don't mind being surprised  :D

Information sharing time! I found out in my Skype interview today that Maryland's Open House is going to be Feb 26-27, so keep those days open if you're really interested in Maryland! If you already have another interview weekend somewhere else though, it seems like they will be accommodating. I'll be at another interview that weekend, and my POI said it would probably be totally fine to visit another weekend (if I actually get invited to Open House, that is!!).

Also, Skype interviews are so fun!! I'm really enjoying them so far. I'm always scared and nervous beforehand but they've all been really fun and it's great to just talk about research for like half an hour :)

I didn't expect two emails, though. I've never heard of that happening before.

wow, I didn't know this was a practice.

It is definitely not uncommon to interview with more than one person even in my (limited) experience. I interviewed with two people from Maryland (semantics and syntax) separately and two from NYU (both semantics) simultaneously. My best friend interviewed with her (then prospective, now current) entire lab at UCSD simultaneously. Another friend of mine interviewed with two people from NYU (syntax and semantics) separately.

I heard the chance of getting an offer is basically close to zero if you haven't approached any POIs before the application

This is not true in linguistics.

Edited by onzeheures30

It is definitely not uncommon to interview with more than one person even in my (limited) experience. I interviewed with two people from Maryland (semantics and syntax) separately and two from NYU (both semantics) simultaneously. My best friend interviewed with her (then prospective, now current) entire lab at UCSD simultaneously. Another friend of mine interviewed with two people from NYU (syntax and semantics) separately.

Yeah, so far I've had this experience as well! I only skyped with one person at Maryland, but at NYU I skyped with both of my POIs simultaneously, and at Berkeley I skyped the whole admissions committee at once. 

I'll add another datapoint. During my application season (2 years ago), my phone interviews with both Maryland and UPenn were with two POIs simultaneously. When you are called down for an in-person interview, it is quite common to meet with a number of people (I met with 9 at UMD, which, to be honest, is maybe too many..)

Pretty sure no hope from McGill. Haven't been contacted yet. I didn't even know there would be an interview! Now waiting for UBC and Michigan. 

I did my undergrad at Michigan, and when I was talking to my advisor there the other day she mentioned that the full admissions committee was meeting at the very end of the month to decide who to invite to the screening weekend.  So don't expect to hear anything from them until February!

Edited by skhaao

I did my undergrad at Michigan, and when I was talking to my advisor there the other day she mentioned that the full admissions committee was meeting at the very end of the month to decide who to invite to the screening weekend.  So don't expect to hear anything from them until February!

Thanks!  I was looking at previous years and thinking that Michigan could be sending invites any day now.  Even though I hate waiting, I'm glad to know that it will be a while still.  Michigan is the next school that I'm hopeful to hear back from, since it seems like I probably am not going to get an interview at Maryland :/

"Screening weekend" sounds oddly like, medical.

Haha, it's actually called "prospective students weekend," I think... I just couldn't remember. "Interview weekend" probably would have been a better word choice.

I didn't contact a single POI, and I'm a.. hmm, somewhere between a US and an international student (US dual citizen who lives overseas and goes to US for college).

Cool! Where do you live, if I may ask?

That's awesome! Congratulations! Who is your POI and what are your research interests? 

My research interest is sociolinguistics.

I will PM you my POIs names!

I am also going be interviewed simultaneously by two professors at UPenn, so I guess this is not that uncommon.

Good to know! The wait is really the worst  :wacko:

I meant two separate interviews, not at the same time. Maybe Maryland is the only place that does this.

Another friend of mine interviewed with two people from NYU (syntax and semantics) separately.

I also think that someone from my cohort mentioned having two separate interviews with two of our syntacticians (but I might be confusing things here). No, seriously, why would that be a rarity? =) (Apart from the obvious time pressure factor.) It only makes sense that more people want to talk to each candidate, if time permits, to make a more informed decision as a committee. And I believe whether these are collective or separate interviews depends more on individual preferences of the faculty members concerned and on the topics they wish to discuss with the candidate.

Edited by onzeheures30