FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Anyway, I've been slacking off on my applications. Too busy completing my Pokedex :<. Gotta get those finished in the next couple days!

Ahaha, Chiki I finished mine early (Delaware is due Feb 1st!!!) just because I had no more Doctor Who episodes to watch ( and because I couldn't stand to re-read my SOPs anymore, of course).

Also, I know it is kinda early, but any of you have any idea of how long will it be for us to start hearing something back from them (like, interviews and so on)? I know I should be ashamed! I just finished submitting my applications and I am already anxious! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

The best way to find out that kind of stuff is looking up information from previous years in the "results search" section of grad cafe :) And then when you get your invites, report them there so that next year applicants can have that information! 

For example, do a search for "Yale linguistics" and look at the self-reported results from previous years!

Edited by beccamayworth

The best way to find out that kind of stuff is looking up information from previous years in the "results search" section of grad cafe :) And then when you get your invites, report them there so that next year applicants can have that information! 

For example, do a search for "Yale linguistics" and look at the self-reported results from previous years!

Thanks!!

I haven't contacted any POI directly. I named the one-two whom i was most interested in working with quite clearly in the SOP.

So one of yours contacted you already? That's cool! How did it go?

Would it be too rude for me to ask you from which University he/she was (not the name of the prof. of course).

Our talk was exciting for me, and this POI gave me some very good reasons that I should work with them and their group. But we already knew each other, and I know them to be a quick person. I suspect that others whom I sent the application to are a bit slower. If you PM me, I will give you institution and department names.

For those of you who have applied to Maryland -- how do you find out your Apply Yourself ID number? I need it for the supplementary application form but I can't seem to find this mysterious ID number. Somewhere I read that you can see it on the PDF preview of the application after you submit, but that doesn't help me since I need it now...

Our talk was exciting for me, and this POI gave me some very good reasons that I should work with them and their group. But we already knew each other, and I know them to be a quick person. I suspect that others whom I sent the application to are a bit slower. If you PM me, I will give you institution and department names.

That explains it. I think you might be very likely to get accepted.

For those of you who have applied to Maryland -- how do you find out your Apply Yourself ID number? I need it for the supplementary application form but I can't seem to find this mysterious ID number. Somewhere I read that you can see it on the PDF preview of the application after you submit, but that doesn't help me since I need it now...

I'll tell you tomorrow once I apply, if that's ok.

My ApplyYourself/Hobsons ID number was sent to me via mail a few days after I submitted my application. 

I had forgotten to submit the supplementary form, so I wasn't worried about the ID untill a week after the submission! (I know, I am a mess :blink:  :blink: )

Anyway, I wrote to the graduate school (gradschool@umd.edu) attaching the form to the email and they were kind enough to add it to my application.

I really don't know how you could know that number (and fill the form) before the submission. I feel that their application is a bit confusing.

For example, on the  linguistics page the application instruction speak of an ASF invitation, but on the Graduate school application instruction there in no mention of it! so i wrote them and asked and they told me they changed the system this year, so there are still procedures to fix.

Luckily they seem very kind and quick to respond ( I got an answer to my mail this morning, while I thought they were all on vacation till Jan. 2nd)

My ApplyYourself/Hobsons ID number was sent to me via mail a few days after I submitted my application. 

I had forgotten to submit the supplementary form, so I wasn't worried about the ID untill a week after the submission! (I know, I am a mess :blink:  :blink: )

Anyway, I wrote to the graduate school (gradschool@umd.edu) attaching the form to the email and they were kind enough to add it to my application.

I really don't know how you could know that number (and fill the form) before the submission. I feel that their application is a bit confusing.

For example, on the  linguistics page the application instruction speak of an ASF invitation, but on the Graduate school application instruction there in no mention of it! so i wrote them and asked and they told me they changed the system this year, so there are still procedures to fix.

Luckily they seem very kind and quick to respond ( I got an answer to my mail this morning, while I thought they were all on vacation till Jan. 2nd)

So weird you were able to submit without it -- the only reason I even found out about the supplementary form was because the system wouldn't let me continue without it! So bizarre... I guess I'll just leave it blank since they give me no way to find out.

Yay, my last application is finished!! :D

So guys, before I switch my internet off. Since in Italy is almost 2015, I wish you all prospective Grad Students :) a Happy new Year. let's hope it will be full of exciting news!

So everyone, since most of applications where due today (well, I guess) and we are supposed to be a bit more relaxed (sure!) I was wondering...do any of you know how common interviews are in our field (i mean pre-admission interviews of course)?

Should we expect one from every program we applied to? does being asked for one mean you are on a shortlist?  Is it just random? How do they work?

So everyone, since most of applications where due today (well, I guess) and we are supposed to be a bit more relaxed (sure!) I was wondering...do any of you know how common interviews are in our field (i mean pre-admission interviews of course)?

Should we expect one from every program we applied to? does being asked for one mean you are on a shortlist?  Is it just random? How do they work?

From your list of schools: Maryland, NYU and UPenn do interviews. Unless things have changed since my application cycle, NYU/UPenn do phone/skype interviews and Maryland does an in-person interview/open house combo. And yes, it means you're on a shortlist--typically around 15 candidates are interviewed. MIT, and UMass don't do interviews. I have no clue about Yale, CUNY, Stony Brook, or Delaware. 

Edited by funchaku

If you're asked to an interview, they reimburse you for the travel costs. You'll also have a graduate student who will host you, so no paying for hotels.

Thank you funchaku!

But what about international students? Would they cover travel expenses for us too?

Also, I think that being able to stay at a current student place would be a terrific opportunity! 

I am not a 100% sure about the logistics for international students, but I am certain schools will cover at least part of the costs. If you get accepted/called for interviews at multiple places, you could arrange it such that there is a single trip to the US, and use the combined funds from different universities to cover travel costs. Lots of international students visit during open house, so my guess is that sufficient help is provided to make travel cheap, if not free.

I am not a 100% sure about the logistics for international students, but I am certain schools will cover at least part of the costs. If you get accepted/called for interviews at multiple places, you could arrange it such that there is a single trip to the US, and use the combined funds from different universities to cover travel costs. Lots of international students visit during open house, so my guess is that sufficient help is provided to make travel cheap, if not free.

thanks again! you were very helpful.

I know it is too soon to worry about details like this, but I use  these kind of distractions to keep my mind off the "waiting".

thanks again! you were very helpful.

I know it is too soon to worry about details like this, but I use  these kind of distractions to keep my mind off the "waiting".

Me too! We'll have to think about the details eventually so might as well do it now to keep our minds off the excruciating wait!! I've lived in California my whole life, so I've been doing extensive research on how the hell to dress for cold weather when I go to the east coast for interviews :P

Me too! We'll have to think about the details eventually so might as well do it now to keep our minds off the excruciating wait!! I've lived in California my whole life, so I've been doing extensive research on how the hell to dress for cold weather when I go to the east coast for interviews :P

Ahaha that's great!

I was hoping my work would keep my mind distracted but the problem is I work with my computer and I need to check my mail for work reasons so.. no help at all. :)

(like, this morning I got an email having as object "Admission..." I totally freaked out - yeah, I know it is too soon but for a moment! It turns out it was just a student asking me how to do his Bachelor Thesis into my Prof.'s Lab. Sigh <_<

Glad to hear we are all in the same boat! :)

From your list of schools: Maryland, NYU and UPenn do interviews. Unless things have changed since my application cycle, NYU/UPenn do phone/skype interviews and Maryland does an in-person interview/open house combo. And yes, it means you're on a shortlist--typically around 15 candidates are interviewed. MIT, and UMass don't do interviews. I have no clue about Yale, CUNY, Stony Brook, or Delaware. 

MIT indeed doesn't do interviews (I think they even say so somewhere on their webpage), but I did have a Skype interview with someone from UMass last year (although that doesn't mean they always interview all the candidates they are interested in). NYU does interviews for sure. Maryland does indeed have an open-house for short-listed candidates, but I couldn't make it last year so I did Skype interviews with two faculty members instead.

International student here! This is correct. Some schools will reimburse you only up to a certain amount (at MIT during my cycle, it was $400 per person), so it won't cover your entire airfare if you're coming from/returning overseas, but works out if you're visiting multiple schools in North America. It's possible that some schools will totally reimburse you regardless of cost, but I haven't experienced this/don't know which ones do. Re: timing of open houses, a lot of depts seem to often plan their open houses so that there's little/no overlap with other depts and occur relatively sequentially, which makes going on an open house "tour" easier. Alternatively, if you find that the schedules are quite inconvenient financially, you can opt out of the open house (if it's for admitted applicants, not shortlisted interviewees), and arrange to visit independently. 

I went to Maryland's last year - there were about 20 shortlisted candidates, we did a bunch of interviews (some people interviewed with 4-6 faculty - I interviewed with 10! it was intense), and it was A LOT of fun. Truly great.

For anyone else interested in these schools: UCSD and Brown also did interview weekends last year; USC does an open house for admitted students. I heard though that some schools are trying new approaches this year...

Good luck! Don't be nervous, do your homework, have fun. :)

I went to Maryland's last year - there were about 20 shortlisted candidates, we did a bunch of interviews (some people interviewed with 4-6 faculty - I interviewed with 10! it was intense), and it was A LOT of fun. Truly great.

Ten?! Wow! The positive side is that in such a way you should be able to personally meet lots of super interesting people in your field!

But I was wondering, what are interviews about? How do they work? What kind of questions do they ask?

Should I study for them? Clearly I did study the work of my POIs at each Univerisity, and researched the work of their labs and of the people they collaborate with but...should I be ready to asnwer questions about that?

Sorry If I ask silly questions but here in Italy Ph.D admissions don't work this way. We usually have titles' evaluation, then a written exam followed by an oral exam mostly focused on evaluating the candidate research proposal and how strong his/her former academic background is.