FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Hi juzaib!

I was also wondering about trying Harvard or Yale, but I guess my GPAs and GRE results are pushing me down. =(

Do you think I should give one of them a try or it will be a waste of time and money? (please be honest!)

I don't see any harm in applying to really good programs that you really want to go to.  Do you really want to go to Harvard or Yale?  If so, as my husband says, "it's just money" :)  That's easy to say, but he has a point.  A $100 application fee should not stand between you and what will make you the happiest for the next 5-7 years of your life, and it is a really small investment in the career you want to build for yourself. So, do what you want to do!

Only please don't apply to Yale!  Because I don't want to compete with you :)

Edited by Alichka

Alichka, thanks for the motivational words!

Yes, both Harvard and Yale attract me, but I saw people saying that these (and other) universities don't even start looking at applications with GRE below x (let's say, 320) and GPA below y (let's say, 3.8)...

juzaib, the schools themselves can probably provide you with that information, or at least a lot of it. No one on this board can tell you your chances however (assuming you meet those minimum keep outs) because that really depends on your SOP and Writing Sample and maybe other things like the interview, which of course we know nothing about. However, you should apply everywhere you would like to attend, you shouldn't doubt yourself, because it is a bit of a crapshoot anyway. Bom día!

Alichka, thanks for the motivational words!

Yes, both Harvard and Yale attract me, but I saw people saying that these (and other) universities don't even start looking at applications with GRE below x (let's say, 320) and GPA below y (let's say, 3.8)...

That's no reason not to apply, though! From what I've heard about GPA/GRE cutoffs at most schools is that those aren't necessarily hard cutoffs - if your CV or letters are good then they'll look at your other materials.

I would just like to share that I have just SUBMITTED MY LAST APPLICATION!!  Way early on some of the deadlines, but I wanted to actually enjoy my Christmas vacation. 

I feel so liberated!!  ...let's see how long before "liberated" turns into "biting my fingernails in anxiety" :)

How are you all doing?

I would just like to share that I have just SUBMITTED MY LAST APPLICATION!!  Way early on some of the deadlines, but I wanted to actually enjoy my Christmas vacation. 

I feel so liberated!!  ...let's see how long before "liberated" turns into "biting my fingernails in anxiety" :)

How are you all doing?

Yay!! Congrats :) I still have 2 to finish up but luckily I have all of my break to do them since they're not due til early January. I'm already anxious too...I freak out every time I get an email even though I know I won't be hearing back until at least January!

Alichka congrats!!!

I still have two to go(MIT and Delaware), but hope to find the time and close them up before Christmas, I really can stand Application Webpages, forms etc anymore.  :wacko:  :rolleyes:  :P 

Oh, something's been bothering me. How many professors do you guys mention in your SOPs for each university? I mention at least 4 people I could work with for each based on what they research or what they have done research on in the past. For Harvard and NYU I have something like 5 and for MIT I named 9 professors I could work with.

Edited by Chiki

umm I've been thinking about that too.

I mentioned between 3 and 5 (I've kept to those whose research or methodologies were closer to my main interests), plus the labs I woulb be interested in joining. For MIT I listed 5 I think, for 3.

Don't know if it was the right strategy though.  :)

I also have a question for you guys. Is there anyone who has applied to UMaryland? Has any of you received the ASF?

The application instructions on the Linguistics Program webpage said to expect an invitation to access an Application Secondary Form, to be used to submitted additional documentation (such as SOP, Writing Sample, etc). However the Online Application of the Graduate School asked me to upload all these documents directly into the main application and there was no mention of the ASF.

Clearly, I've written to the department but I've got no aswer back yet and since it's been a week i'm starting to get nervous.

Edited by Garyon

Oh, something's been bothering me. How many professors do you guys mention in your SOPs for each university? I mention at least 4 people I could work with for each based on what they research or what they have done research on in the past. For Harvard and NYU I have something like 5 and for MIT I named 9 professors I could work with.

9 sounds like too many. It would mean you mentioned pretty much everyone who does either syntax or semantics, including people in phased retirement and people who spend half of the year abroad, regardless of their actual interests. No one can possibly work with that many people on a regular basis. Most students work with one or two professors (work = meet with on a regular, weekly or bi-weekly, basis, to discuss your major research project which is related to what they have expertise in), three is a lot. To want to work with 9 different people indicates that you are quite unfocused. 

Depending on the department, I mentioned one or two in my main area (theoretical semantics), one or two in my secondary area (theoretical syntax), and I sometimes mentioned experimental people (along the lines of 'it's nice to know there will be someone to guide me should I need to do some experimental research').

I agree with fuzzy that nine is way too many; it wouldn't show that you're a better fit, but rather that you don't understand what fit is about.

I also have a question for you guys. Is there anyone who has applied to UMaryland? Has any of you received the ASF?

The application instructions on the Linguistics Program webpage said to expect an invitation to access an Application Secondary Form, to be used to submitted additional documentation (such as SOP, Writing Sample, etc). However the Online Application of the Graduate School asked me to upload all these documents directly into the main application and there was no mention of the ASF.

I don't quite remember the entire procedure, but I think that after submitting the main application I first got a confirmation and then several days later I got an e-mail saying that I should now complete my ASF, which was basically uploading the rest of the documents online (there was a link in the email). Have you submitted the main application?

I don't quite remember the entire procedure, but I think that after submitting the main application I first got a confirmation and then several days later I got an e-mail saying that I should now complete my ASF, which was basically uploading the rest of the documents online (there was a link in the email). Have you submitted the main application?

Yes I submitted the main application and received the confirmation email. The ASF is described as you say, I am just a bit concerned because I already submitted all my documentation together with the main application.

I guess I'll just have to chill out and wait for an answer from the department. :)

Depending on the department, I mentioned one or two in my main area (theoretical semantics), one or two in my secondary area (theoretical syntax), and I sometimes mentioned experimental people (along the lines of 'it's nice to know there will be someone to guide me should I need to do some experimental research').

I agree with fuzzy that nine is way too many; it wouldn't show that you're a better fit, but rather that you don't understand what fit is about.

Phew I feel better now! I talked about two professors in each of my statements.

9 sounds like too many. It would mean you mentioned pretty much everyone who does either syntax or semantics, including people in phased retirement and people who spend half of the year abroad, regardless of their actual interests. No one can possibly work with that many people on a regular basis. Most students work with one or two professors (work = meet with on a regular, weekly or bi-weekly, basis, to discuss your major research project which is related to what they have expertise in), three is a lot. To want to work with 9 different people indicates that you are quite unfocused.

The forum glitched and didn't accept my edited post. I've trimmed it down to 6 (2 from other departments and 1 from linguistics). It's more of a "could work" rather than "will work" though. I've specified 3 people in particular who I want to work with.

Edited by Chiki

2 from other departments

I want to echo Fuzzy and onzeheures30: 9 is too many. In my opinion, 6 is too many, but to each his own. Could ask why you are bothering to mention POIs in other departments? That simply raises the question as to why you aren't applying to, e.g., Philosophy, to begin with. 

I want to echo Fuzzy and onzeheures30: 9 is too many. In my opinion, 6 is too many, but to each his own. Could ask why you are bothering to mention POIs in other departments? That simply raises the question as to why you aren't applying to, e.g., Philosophy, to begin with. 

Erm, I have a lot more research interests in linguistics?

Erm, I have a lot more research interests in linguistics?

My point is: mentioning POIs from other departments is not going to win you any points, and runs the risk of making you look less focused. As others have already mentioned, having lots of POIs is not a very wise move to begin with. This is a forum where people help each other, but if you find our advice irrelevant, feel free to ignore it and move on. 

My point is: mentioning POIs from other departments is not going to win you any points, and runs the risk of making you look less focused. As others have already mentioned, having lots of POIs is not a very wise move to begin with. This is a forum where people help each other, but if you find our advice irrelevant, feel free to ignore it and move on. 

I already said I trimmed, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to say this. That's why I brought it up in the first place, just in case I seemed unfocused.

Just to contribute to the discussion... I don't think mentioning POIs in other departments is necessarily a bad thing. In some of my SOPs I mentioned a few professors I'd be interested to work with in other departments such as Psychology and Spanish & Portuguese. I got invited to interviews, and even interviewed with the people from other departments (which was actually surprising to me!)... and ended up getting accepted to those places. So maybe, it depends. Some departments are very into collaborating with other departments (people were talking about Maryland earlier... I think they're a great example of such a department). 

:) 

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose many people haven't submitted their January applications yet, but how many of you have had a chat with a potential supervisor from a program whose deadline was in December? I have only been contacted by one so far. Are any of you initiating contact through email? I have considered doing this, but really my SoP already lays it out well, so I suppose they'll just make contact if they like the application enough.

Hi! Just today I submitted my last application! yeah!

And it seems that all my rec. letters have arrived too!

I haven't contacted any POI directly. I named the one-two whom i was most interested in working with quite clearly in the SOP.

So one of yours contacted you already? That's cool! How did it go?

Would it be too rude for me to ask you from which University he/she was (not the name of the prof. of course).

Also, I know it is kinda early, but any of you have any idea of how long will it be for us to start hearing something back from them (like, interviews and so on)? I know I should be ashamed! I just finished submitting my applications and I am already anxious! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I suppose many people haven't submitted their January applications yet, but how many of you have had a chat with a potential supervisor from a program whose deadline was in December? I have only been contacted by one so far. Are any of you initiating contact through email? I have considered doing this, but really my SoP already lays it out well, so I suppose they'll just make contact if they like the application enough.

I don't think you're supposed to be contacted by people so early in most cases, so I wouldn't worry about it.

And I think initiating contact is obnoxious, but that might just be me.

Anyway, I've been slacking off on my applications. Too busy completing my Pokedex :<. Gotta get those finished in the next couple days!

Edited by Chiki