FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Hey Beanio,

If you're just making this decision now to apply for the 2015/2016 year, then I suggests getting straight to work. Most of the deadlines will be between December 1st and 15th, so you've got your work cut out for you for the next two months. You're gonna want to apply to more than one program (maybe 8-10) in order to best improve your chances of getting accepted. This is both time consuming and expensive

You're going to have to figure out which programs you want to apply to. Finding a good program with a good "fit" is the most important. This is a really time consuming practice since you need to look very carefully at the department page of each program you're interested in (as well as many you've never heard of). You need to figure out which area of linguistics you want to work in (preferably down to a sub-discipline). You need to look very closely at what each faculty member is working on (i.e. read a few of the articles of the ones who interest you). You need to look at funding options, deadlines, application requirements, etc. Many departments will require you to show competency in a foreign language of scholarship (by the end of the second year), some may require two languages, some may even require two languages of scholarship plus a non-indo-european language. If you think that will be a problem for you then you probably shouldn't apply to that university (personally I love languages but I'm a pretty slow learner when it comes to languages acquisition). 

You're going to need to write the general GRE if you intend to apply to programs in the states (preferably before November!). If you've already written it then that's great! but if you haven't written it within the last 5 years then you're going to have to do it again.

And you're going to need reference letters, this might be a bit difficult for you since you've been out of school so long, but it is also imperative that you find your references immediately since you should ideally give them 6-8 weeks notice (or more) that you would like references from them.

Then you're going to need to write a statement of purpose/letter of intent, maybe even a research proposal. You should talk to your references about this (and show them your drafts).

There are a lot of good forums on gradcafe that can give better advice on each of these topics and more.

Sorry if this is all stuff you already knew. Its a lot of work so I just hope you're prepared for that. However, also remember that most programs won't mind that you've been out of school for so long since it will indicate maturity in your decision to pursue academia. Many applicants apply right out of undergrad because they've never known anything else.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Do you guys know how long it takes schools to get GRE scores? I'm gonna apply around mid-November and the deadlines of the schools I'm applying to are around December 15-January 1. Would this give enough time for the December 15 schools?

Would it be possible to wait to send my transcripts until my grades for this semester are out? (This will be around December 15 too..) I guess I'll have to send the transcripts without this semester's grades to these schools.

Do you guys know how long it takes schools to get GRE scores? I'm gonna apply around mid-November and the deadlines of the schools I'm applying to are around December 15-January 1. Would this give enough time for the December 15 schools?

Would it be possible to wait to send my transcripts until my grades for this semester are out? (This will be around December 15 too..) I guess I'll have to send the transcripts without this semester's grades to these schools.

I've heard that official GREs take up to six weeks to be received. Some programs [a minority] will accept unofficial scores at the time of their deadline, and some programs will expect scores within a certain time frame after their deadline. For example John Hopkins has a deadline of January 1st and expects GRE scores within two weeks.

Many schools will advise completing the GRE before November in order to receive them on time.

You can send them your transcripts any time. As soon as you start sending them materials (e.g. GRE scores) they will open a file for you, and they'll just add other materials (e.g. transcripts) to the same file until it is complete. I think it's better to send everything together, to minimize the possibility of things getting lost or misplaced, so if you need to submit hard copies of anything other than the transcript, I'd send it all in one envelope.

Awesome. Yest,it is all the way in the summer. Have you attended it yet? I wanted some info on it. I saw the list of the tentative classes up. I am wondering how many of theses classes do I have to or can attend.

Hi everyone! I only in the last few weeks decided to apply for PhD programs in computational linguistics. I have a BA from UCSC in linguistics (with a 3.7 GPA), and I have 3 years of programming/technical experience as a Salesforce Administrator/Developer. This field feels like the perfect match for my interests and skills, and I'm really excited to get involved.

My main concern, however, is the GRE. Since I took so long to decide, the earliest I was able to register for the test was December 1. This already disqualifies me from a few programs with deadlines at this time (much to my disappointment). There are a couple schools with December 15 deadlines I'd love to apply for, but hearing how long it takes for the scores to arrive, I'm afraid I won't be able to apply for them. The early January deadlines might be even be a stretch. Should I even try to apply to schools this year, or should I wait until next year?

Awesome. Yest,it is all the way in the summer. Have you attended it yet? I wanted some info on it. I saw the list of the tentative classes up. I am wondering how many of theses classes do I have to or can attend.

Maybe we should make a new topic just about the institute? There's so much to talk about it, and that way we won't get into the way of all the application talk ;)

(but long story short: you can take up to 5 classes, but you can take them for a grade, for pass/fail or just audit, so no pressure... :) )

There are a couple schools with December 15 deadlines I'd love to apply for, but hearing how long it takes for the scores to arrive, I'm afraid I won't be able to apply for them. The early January deadlines might be even be a stretch. Should I even try to apply to schools this year, or should I wait until next year?

Hi Ergative! Have you tried reaching out to these programs and asking them about it? They might be willing to give you some leeway for the deadline concerning the GRE... I mean, it might be worth asking, at least. :)  

(I had to ask a couple schools the same thing for the TOEFL and I was very lucky because they were all very accommodating). 

Hi all! I've been seeing this thread for the last couple months but for some reason never posted in here...

I'm interested in language processing in general -- I'm working on multiword expressions at the moment which I LOVE!! Seriously, the questions of mental representation of frequent phrases, heuristics used when encountering new ones...super interesting stuff  :D

Anyway, I'm applying to some Linguistics departments, some Psych departments, some Cog Sci departments...and I would love to go to any of them, so hopefully I get into one at least!!

Some stats about me: I have about 2.5 years of research experience total, and 1.5 years in my relevant subdiscipline. My majors are Cognitive Science (3.85) and Linguistics (4.0), and I have a 3.75 GPA overall. My GRE scores were okay but not amazing (161V/162Q/4.5). So yeah, that's me! 

Anyone attending Linguistic Summer Institute 2015?

I hope so!! I'm going to see if I can get funding to go!!

Maybe we should make a new topic just about the institute? There's so much to talk about it, and that way we won't get into the way of all the application talk ;)

(but long story short: you can take up to 5 classes, but you can take them for a grade, for pass/fail or just audit, so no pressure... :) )

Ok, I have some questions regarding the summer institutes, and I think many people can share knowledge on there as well. so, a new topic is started at 

Thank you. 

I'm interested in language processing in general -- I'm working on multiword expressions at the moment which I LOVE!! Seriously, the questions of mental representation of frequent phrases, heuristics used when encountering new ones...super interesting stuff  :D

Hi! You're right : this IS super interesting stuff!  Language processing is not my core interest but I believe it can lead to powerful insight on so many linguistics issues! Could you point me toward some good paper on phrase mental representation?

Some stats about me: I have about 2.5 years of research experience total, and 1.5 years in my relevant subdiscipline. My majors are Cognitive Science (3.85) and Linguistics (4.0), and I have a 3.75 GPA overall. My GRE scores were okay but not amazing (161V/162Q/4.5). So yeah, that's me! 

I hope so!! I'm going to see if I can get funding to go!!

By the numbers that's a pretty good looking profile! I wouldn't worry about the GRE scores, 160 should get you past any cut-offs.

Where, may I ask, are you looking for funding for the Linguistics Summer Institute? I'd love to go, but I have no idea where to find funding for a summer program.

• 3 weeks later...

HI guys,

kind of a silly question maybe but... is any of you applying to Stony Brook?

I am trying to figure out if they have any specific requirements for the length of the statement of purpose, but I cannot find any info on their web page. I've written to their graduate coordinator but I haven't got an answer back yet. I am sure they have put some indication somewhere and this is just me being unable to find it! I'm feeling stupid...

Do you have any info about this?  :)

To answer your question, first, I am not applying to Stony Brook.

However, if you can not find the length requirements, you can go with the standard, which is "two pages, double space, 12 pt font" and your choice of font theme, but usual TNR,or Arial works.

If you receive an answer that is different from this one, it will not be extremely different. If it is extremely different, let us know so that we know there is a different set of reqs that deviate from this one. 

Best. 

HI guys,

kind of a silly question maybe but... is any of you applying to Stony Brook?

I am trying to figure out if they have any specific requirements for the length of the statement of purpose, but I cannot find any info on their web page. I've written to their graduate coordinator but I haven't got an answer back yet. I am sure they have put some indication somewhere and this is just me being unable to find it! I'm feeling stupid...

Do you have any info about this?  :)

I don't think they have any specific requirements. Mine was two pages, 12 pt Times New Roman, single space, and it worked just fine for them.

Hi guys,

I'm cleaning up the SOP for my first group of applications (deadline mid december) and I have some formatting doubts. Clearly, the hypothesis here is that They do not give any specific instruction on the application guidelines.

So, should I put a title? Is "Statement of Purpose" good enough?

More importantly, should I put my name of every page of the sop (like an header)?

I am hesitant because most of them ask us to leave 2-inches on the top of each page for them to print an header. So, since I am guessing they'll print in it my ID etc. , is my name on the page really necessary?

If so, having to leave such broad header I wouldn't know where to put it without the layout of the whole essay looking weird.

Finally, I've written the SOPs as  essays but I've read somewhere on the forum that one should close up by thanking the committee (something like "thank you for your consideration"). It really feels strange to me, since I am not writing a letter but a - almost - scientific essay. Should I do it? Or is an effective closing paragraph good enough?

Ops, I know my posts looks a bit like streams of consciousness, but I am writing them during my short breaks at work. Please forgive me.

And again, thank you all for your help.

"Statement of Purpose" should be good enough. I don't think its necessary to have a header, since your SOP is only 2 pages tops, but then again, I really don't think this will matter very much. 

Re: "thanking the committee," that sounds quite strange to me too. You want to end with a couple of sentences indicating why this particular school is a good fit (e.g., mention some of the people you would be interested in working with and why). But I don't think an SOP (at least for linguistics programs) needs to end with a salutation.  

Hi guys,

I'm cleaning up the SOP for my first group of applications (deadline mid december) and I have some formatting doubts. Clearly, the hypothesis here is that They do not give any specific instruction on the application guidelines.

So, should I put a title? Is "Statement of Purpose" good enough?

More importantly, should I put my name of every page of the sop (like an header)?

I am hesitant because most of them ask us to leave 2-inches on the top of each page for them to print an header. So, since I am guessing they'll print in it my ID etc. , is my name on the page really necessary?

If so, having to leave such broad header I wouldn't know where to put it without the layout of the whole essay looking weird.

Finally, I've written the SOPs as  essays but I've read somewhere on the forum that one should close up by thanking the committee (something like "thank you for your consideration"). It really feels strange to me, since I am not writing a letter but a - almost - scientific essay. Should I do it? Or is an effective closing paragraph good enough?

Ops, I know my posts looks a bit like streams of consciousness, but I am writing them during my short breaks at work. Please forgive me.

And again, thank you all for your help.

I don't know what the 'proper' way is, and I doubt there is one. I can only tell you what I did:

(1) I had my name and 'Statement of Purpose' on the first page; initially I had a header on each of the two pages, but one of my recommenders (a grad program director at a US linguistics department) who gave me feedback on my SOP suggested deleting the header on the second page. I don't think the name is necessary, though, either. 'Statement of Purpose' should indeed be enough.

(2) I did end my SOPs with thanking the committee for considering my application (and a generic statement about how honored I would be to be able to contribute to the department X). My understanding is it's just one of the closing formulas you can use, but you don't have to, it's a matter of taste. I used it because I couldn't think of a better way to end my SOP, and ending with discussing what I am going to do after I get my Ph.D. seemed a tad abrupt. But once again, I don't think there any set-in-stone rules about that, do whatever feels right and fits the overall tone of your SOP. I suspect the committee will be more interested in your research interests than in whether you thank them or not =)

I suspect the committee will be more interested in your research interests than in whether you thank them or not =)

Ahaha, that's probably right! =)

Thank you both guys! Now that the deadlines are approaching I'm starting to freak out about every irrelevant detail. Your answers are always soothing!