Furniture Suggestions

ahlatsiawa

victorydance - I had a very bad bedbug problem last month. That is why I did not want to go for a second-hand frame and mattress.

I would never buy a second-hand mattress. But the chances of bedbugs in a frame (particularly a standard metal one) is null. Frames have no ability to host bedbugs if they are cleaned properly. 

• 1 month later...

I recently shifted my house from Alberta to Ontario. I did not want to carry all my old furnitures all the way to Ontario. I thought of getting some new furnitures but cost always had bothered me. I did a net search, and I came across this: http://www.surplusfurniture.com/en/ottawa/ I found many good model furnitures specially the dining tables and chair at a surprisingly low rate. I found them to be very cheap. I had a doubt in the quality of the furniture, so I had asked some of my friends about it. Most of them had got their furnitures from here and it was said to be durable without compromising the quality. Planning to purchase some furnitures.

I recently shifted my house from Alberta to Ontario. I did not want to carry all my old furnitures all the way to Ontario. I thought of getting some new furnitures but cost always had bothered me. I did a net search, and I came across this: http://www.surplusfurniture.com/en/ottawa/ I found many good model furnitures specially the dining tables and chair at a surprisingly low rate. I found them to be very cheap. I had a doubt in the quality of the furniture, so I had asked some of my friends about it. Most of them had got their furnitures from here and it was said to be durable without compromising the quality. Planning to purchase some furnitures.

who do I give the money to???

I have found that the bed frames being made today are crap. They are charging the same price but using wooden slats instead of coils so it wears faster, is noisy, and can make you feel like your mattress is wearing way faster than it actually is. I splurged on a "good" bed because a good nights sleep is critical. Once I realized that my box spring was failing me, I bought a metal frame from Walmart for under $100. The difference was AMAZING! My mattress felt brand new even though it was older. The metal frame is quiet and still as tall as having a box spring so you can store under the bed. I recommend a metal frame and splurging on a great mattress. Your back will thank you.

Target and Walmart have similar type furniture. It's all MDF or cheap metal that you must put together yourself. It's not bad for the price. In parts of the US, there is a store called Big Lots which sells furniture similar to Target and Walmart, but much, much cheaper. It's an overstock type store. You might check into that.

Another option is to wait until you get to the community to furnish the place. Yes, you'd like to have it furnished immediately, who wouldn't?, but the US is stocked full of secondhand stores and weekends are traditionally full of yard sales, garage sales, and so on. Buy the mattress new (they have cheap, decent ones at places like Big Lots and Walmart). In between getting a bed and arriving, you can pick up a relatively cheap air mattress to sleep on and store away in case you have overnight guests or you go on a trip, like a camping trip, and can bring it with you. Or you can resell it.

I furnished my entire house for 900. Except the bed. We bought a sleep by number, which isn't cheap, but it's been worth the money. I got my big, big desk at a secondhand furniture store. It retailed for 400, I got it for 100. Tons of bookshelves, a couch.

Of course, we also own a pickup truck, which means that we can go to places like yard sales. There are places that will rent trucks of varying natures if you decide to do shopping in places that don't deliver.