Less competitive schools in major cities?

I've been noticing a trend that the schools located in bigger cities tend to have lower acceptance rates (based on ASHA EdFind info) ...and the schools I see with higher acceptance rates are usually in the middle of nowhere. Does anyone know of schools located in or around major urban areas (Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, or similar size) that have higher acceptance rates, like more than 30%? 

I'm not sure about percentages, but I feel like every school I applied to in the Chicago area had a much higher number of applicants than non-urban schools.  Most of the schools I applied to stated how many applications they received in their acceptance/rejection letters.  If I recall correctly, most of the schools in Chicago had around 400-600 applicants, whereas others (i.e. central/southern Illinois) had around 200-300.

I'm no expert, but I feel like this is true of most major cities.  There's a larger population PLUS lots of grad students want to move to big cities for school.  That equals more applications and smaller acceptance rates.

That said, I believe Northwestern ends up accepting about 50% of their applicants, since so many choose not to attend due to high tuition costs.

The only one in SF proper is SF State (US news ranks it second best in CA). San Jose State is in vibrant downtown SJ and just 30 minutes from SF (also SJ is a bigger city than SF), CSU East Bay is in the Hayward hills near Berkeley, and Sacramento State and university of the Pacific are both over an hour away from SF in the Central Valley.

Hey Lisa19, do you know the tuition cost for Teachers College? 

Also, are there any good schools in San Francisco for speech?

Teachers College is $1,398/credit.  Since it's in NYC, it would be expensive to live there. 

MGH probably has such a high acceptance rate because it's so expensive to go there. 

I'd like to go to San Fran but the schools there aren't that great quality wise.

What do you mean by that?  Have you gone to the school yet or did you research through the school website?

What do you mean by that?  Have you gone to the school yet or did you research through the school website?

Yes I've done both. But I was looking at the program stats such as passing the PRAXIS  and completion of the program on time and the percentages are quite low compared to most other schools. http://www.sfsu.edu/~comdis/faq.html#faq5

Yes I've done both. But I was looking at the program stats such as passing the PRAXIS  and completion of the program on time and the percentages are quite low compared to most other schools. http://www.sfsu.edu/~comdis/faq.html#faq5

To be honest, I'm not sure how to look at the praxis passing rate since they tell the percentage, but not the population size of that number.  46/50 could have passed the praxis for all I know.

Teachers College is $1,398/credit.  Since it's in NYC, it would be expensive to live there. 

MGH probably has such a high acceptance rate because it's so expensive to go there. 

MGH also just accepts more students. Most programs are around 20-30 accepted students, but MGH accepts 60 I believe. It's also very expensive, close to $70k for the whole program (not including the costs of living in Boston, which is a pretty expensive city!)

CA schools focus on teaching instead of research, so they're not high on US news. I went to the UoP info session and they are quite a good program.

UoP as in Univ. of Pittsburgh? That's where I'm at currently for undergrad. Great city, great program with lots of medical (and non medical) clinical placements close by... there's at least like 5 within a walk/10 min drive from the main building. Pretty reasonable rent. Most faculty do some research (including telepractice, speech physiology/ motor disorders and cochlear implants) and some great classes. They also started one of the first clinical doctoral programs, the CsCD, which is medically focused.

I was talking about University of the Pacific, which focuses equally on medical and schools.

Since it is nowhere near the Pacific, it is cheap to live there. I don't think they have a research focus there at all.

• 2 weeks later...