Media/Film Studies 2015

autumn

It's time to start preparing for the fall 2015 application cycle, so I thought I'd get us started with this year's Media/Film studies thread. 

In the past, applicants have used these threads to discuss application issues, air their anxieties, and receive advice from people in similar situations. We can share information, answer questions, and provide/receive support from fellow applicants. From what I've seen, these threads can be extremely beneficial so I hope we're all able to take advantage of it. 

I'll get us started. I'm looking into communication/media studies/screen culture programs with strengths in participatory culture, fandom, social media/technology, and television studies. As such, it's a pretty wide spread between communications, film studies, and other related humanities programs. I'm still refining my list of schools and programs but looking at 12-15 applications, at this point. 

What types of programs are you considering? What are your research interests? What have you done to prepare for application season? What are your main application concerns?

I hope that all of the fall 2015 applicants will introduce themselves and make use of these forums. I look forward to going through this process with all of you!

- Les

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at 7-8 schools right now, most of which are competitive, but I hope that if I apply to this many at least 1 will accept me!

Congrats on your thesis! This is my strategy, too. Obviously, I have a solid research fit with the programs to which I'm applying but I am definitely trying to hedge my bets a little, as well. 

Good luck on the GRE! Do you have it scheduled yet?

- Les

Ah no date yet. Likely mid to late October. I just started reading through a practice book so that'll keep me busy in addition to gathering all the app materials, etc. I wish that if you have written a thesis and or have a masters degree you wouldn't have to take the test, but oh well! It's not the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

So how is progress on applications? I have begun to fill in information on some parts of the applications, but I'm leaving myself time to fine tune (if necessary) my writing sample, personal essay / statement of purpose, and CV.

It's really tough to keep track of everything.. this time around I'm applying to 8 schools whereas with both grad and undergrad I only applied to 2 schools each. It's crazy!! Between all of the materials, particulars of the program (that the applications quiz you on), mailed vs. scanned transcripts, apps which permit services like Interfolio for letters of rec. submissions vs those which don't, Eesh. Not to mention I'm also trying to find out as much as I can about fee waivers since I'm pretty broke at the moment.

Oh yeah, cherry on top, the dark cloud that is the GRE looming over me! I'm shooting to take the test the first week of November, which means I have to really get in gear, finish the Princeton prep book, and start taking practice exams.

I am in the process of applying to 7 schools for Film Studies/Cinema/Media/Screen Cultures/Comm/etc. I took the GRE a few years ago, but the scoring was different back then, so I'm going to try for a better score in mid-October. The basic info on my applications are filled out, transcript and CV uploaded, and 2 of the 3 recommendation letters are good to go. Right now, I am focusing on fine-tuning my writing sample and statement of purpose.

I could use some general advice about the statement of purpose. In its current form, my statement includes my specific interests and future work, but it's still more general than specific. I also briefly addressed what I thought were weaker points in my application (GPA, lack of published work) but did not dwell on them. I'm wondering if it is a good idea to address these points at all, or just focus on my strengths? I'm also curious how much past experience I should be including. I don't want to be redundant when they have my transcript, CV, etc.

I would appreciate any advice! 

I am in the process of applying to 7 schools for Film Studies/Cinema/Media/Screen Cultures/Comm/etc. I took the GRE a few years ago, but the scoring was different back then, so I'm going to try for a better score in mid-October. The basic info on my applications are filled out, transcript and CV uploaded, and 2 of the 3 recommendation letters are good to go. Right now, I am focusing on fine-tuning my writing sample and statement of purpose.

I could use some general advice about the statement of purpose. In its current form, my statement includes my specific interests and future work, but it's still more general than specific. I also briefly addressed what I thought were weaker points in my application (GPA, lack of published work) but did not dwell on them. I'm wondering if it is a good idea to address these points at all, or just focus on my strengths? I'm also curious how much past experience I should be including. I don't want to be redundant when they have my transcript, CV, etc.

I would appreciate any advice! 

I can only give you advice based on what I've read, what I've been told, and my personal opinion since I'm still working on mine, as well. 

I've heard it is good to address (without making excuses or dwelling) any weak points in your application that may give them pause. For example, I have two withdrawals on my master's transcript because I had to deal with an a family emergency. I'm mentioning it (very briefly) so they understand that it wasn't to safeguard my GPA or because I couldn't handle the workload. I made it clear that it was an aberration: I was working full-time, still attending school, and dealing with an acute family issue that has since been resolved. Of course, you do run the risk of highlighting something they may have dismissed initially.  

As for background information, I'm struggling with that, too. I didn't list past accomplishments so much as trace my progression from one discipline to another because I thought it served a purpose. If your background information isn't serving a narrative purpose, I wouldn't waste much space on it. 

Again, take this with a grain of salt. 

Good luck!

I've finished updating my CV and I have a working draft of my SOP. I'm retaking the GRE on Friday but I'm concerned it won't be an improvement from the last attempt. 

I really need to get cracking on the writing sample but I just haven't had the time. I'll have to focus on that this weekend. 

My letter writers are all confirmed but they haven't started submitting yet. 

I haven't started the online applications but I was planning to do that this weekend. 

Have you all been emailing your POIs?

Yeah, I hear you. I'm aiming to take the GRE the first week of November, but I'm struggling with the math section pretty badly... hopefully programs barely look at that score. I also need to start practicing more vocab, etc.

In my opinion using a template for your SOP may be a smart move; it certainly saves time. Obviously tailor each SOP to the school / program / faculty, but much of what you're saying anyway is the same, so as long as the narrative is coherent and concise you have nothing to worry about.

For my writing sample I'm using a thesis chapter that I rather substantially revised to be a standalone article (I submitted it to a journal recently and am hoping it will be accepted.)

I'm in the same boat with letter writers. I think two out of three of them are making me use Interfolio, which may be more of a hassle for me to keep up with (since some institutions won't allow such a dossier service). My prof's can be flakey so that will be a pain to stay on top of them.

What's POis?

What's POis?

It should really be PsOI but I feel pedantic if I type it that way. It means persons of interest, i.e. the faculty members you want to work with at each institution. 

ah, I have sent a few "feeler" emails to introduce myself, but for the most part communication has been enacted on my part for clarifications on the program / requirements / applications / and possibility of waiving the application fee.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I'm popping into this thread toward the end of the application season as I scramble to get my apps together and do my finals and move. (AH!) 

Autumn I'm also into Fandom and Participatory Culture as well as social media and new media technology. If you don't mind sharing (and I understand if you do) I'd love to see that initial list of 12-15 programs. I narrowed mine down to 5 (including two Performance Studies programs) and had a hard time identifying other programs that I thought could fit well with a fandom oriented project. My top choice is definitely USC Annenberg because of Dr. Henry Jenkins, but I'd love to see what someone else thinks about various programs. I'm a bit limited geographically, but I'm still not 1000% sure what's out there. 

I'm also curious as to what other fan/audience studies people's backgrounds look like. From the research I've done so far it seems like the field is still really young, but I only discovered it within the last year or two and have only started hardcore researching it within the last year. I'm worried I won't have enough relevant experience, published/presented articles, etc. What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New guy here.  Anybody else have any updates on their Film/Cinema PhD applications?  I just applied to a few.  No word yet, which doesn't surprise me being so early in the process and all.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing yet. I wouldn't get nervous. It seem that some (many?) programs won't deliberate or dole out their decisions until the end of this month, next month, or even later. Who knows... the damn time frame is so open its enough to drive one crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

I received a phone call from USC's Critical Studies MA program offering me a position! There's no word on the details yet (advisor, funding, etc.) but those will be laid out in an upcoming email. For the time being, this is an incredible dream come true, as I was determined to go there (the only other school I applied to being UCLA).

I barely remember the phone call. The only sounds I remember are "Congratulations," "future email," and my own heart beating.