Should I defer admission to this unfunded PhD offer?

I recently graduated from Columbia with my Master's in anthropology. I applied for the PhD program at Columbia alongside some other good schools, but I didn't get in, save for one school that accepted me without funding.

Looking back, I realized that I kind of screwed up my PhD applications. I was going through something a bit severe that left me a bit "out there." I was sick, and I was getting some help.

I totally think I'm ready to reapply for the Fall 2015 cycle. I'm reaching out to professors, honing my application, and really researching what the schools are looking for.

I have been wondering if I should defer my admission to my unfunded school. My dad says the best thing for me to do would be to attend Syracuse (my unfunded school) for my first year and try to reapply and transfer to a different PhD program next year. This way, I won't waste a year of my life. Of course, the courses at Syracuse won't necessarily transfer easily to another PhD program, so all I would be wasting is tuition money. Still, it's a LOT of money.

I feel so upset about going to Syracuse unfunded. At the same time, my interests have changed while I finished my research thesis at Columbia, so I feel that the department no longer suits my research interests as it had when I applied in the fall.

So, I guess my biggest questions are:

1- Should I defer admission to Syracuse so I don't turn them down right away?

2- Is it wrong to take a year off school to strengthen my application and get myself healthy?

3- What if I'm too old to start my PhD? I'll be 24 next month, but all my friends are already starting their PhD programs at 23. If I were to reapply and get accepted, I would start my PhD at 25.

Thanks for reading.

Personally, I would recommend taking the year off and volunteering/working in your field of interest. And if you already know what you need to do to improve your application, do it! It may lead to a funded offer!  I took two years off after undergrad to work/volunteer and do not regret it. I gained relevant experience, and had the opportunity to network. I'm 23 going on 24 this month and will be starting my MPH/MS. And there is no such thing as too old to start a Phd. My father just received his this past weekend at the ripe young age of 54. 

And if you are unwell, take the year to rest. Going into a PhD program while battling an illness sounds like it would difficult. 

First, I'm sorry you've been through a difficult time, but I'm glad you're getting yourself healthy - that's the number one priority!

I'm starting graduate school next year, so I'm by no means an experienced voice, but I will say that my professors all said I should never attend a school unfunded. They all said Ph.D applications are a crapshoot, so they made it clear that I should prepare myself psychologically for being shut out or getting into a school's MA program instead but getting no funding (which actually happened with a few schools for me). Taking a year off is hardly a bad thing at all; maybe audit some graduate courses at a school near you just to keep yourself intellectually stimulated, work a bit; any number of things could pass a year pretty quickly!

Also, starting a program at 25 isn't bad at all, age wise! One of my professors did what I'm doing - she went straight out of undergraduate to University of Delaware and got a job on the TT the following year (lucky and fucking brilliant!); another professor of mine took many years to do her undergrad (she's one of those brilliant artsy people who dropped out twice, actually!), then lived in NYC for a while trying to be an actress, then finally found her calling and did her Ph.D. at Columbia. She mentioned that plenty of people get their doctorates in their thirties, and that I'm probably going to feel like a little baby next year, being 22 (turning 23 in October!). So, I'd venture to say that, even taking a year off, you'd still be on the younger end of the spectrum!

Also and probably MOST IMPORTANTLY: it sounds like you have tangible, achievable things you can do to improve your application. The first time around, battling an illness, you weren't able to give it your best shot; that doesn't mean you don't have the ability to get into a top program!!! You deserve to show these programs your best. If you had done that before and didn't know why you were shut out, perhaps an unfunded offer may be necessary to improve your credentials. Rather, you have the credentials (getting an offer from Syracuse, even unfunded, while you weren't at the top of your game shows that!), you just weren't able to highlight them to the best of your ability. I know at your young age, a year sounds like a long time, but SO MANY PEOPLE take gap years, and if a gap year can let you tackle a Ph.D application season and program feeling rested and healthy, I say go for it!! You'll be so happy you did when you get into the program you really want, and have funding to go along with it!!!!

I'm wishing you all the best! Be well <3

I feel so upset about going to Syracuse unfunded. At the same time, my interests have changed while I finished my research thesis at Columbia, so I feel that the department no longer suits my research interests as it had when I applied in the fall.

So, I guess my biggest questions are:

1- Should I defer admission to Syracuse so I don't turn them down right away?

2- Is it wrong to take a year off school to strengthen my application and get myself healthy?

3- What if I'm too old to start my PhD? I'll be 24 next month, but all my friends are already starting their PhD programs at 23. If I were to reapply and get accepted, I would start my PhD at 25.

Thanks for reading.

I think you answered your own question. If a friend asked you whether they should spend money on a program they don't want and that won't help them in the future, what would you tell them?

And if I were you, I wouldn't throw around the 'old' word at 24. Chances are that you'll be one of the youngest grad students!

I just turned 24 last month and wil begin my PhD this fall and I imagine I'd still feel like a baby in my program. Plenty of people start in their late 20s - early 30s, and it's been said that a few years of non-school experiences can do wonder to your perspectives, self-esteem, and emotional management skills. And rachelann1991 is right, a year only seems long and/or a waste when we're young and feel like we should hurry on with our lives. Trust me, I often feel the same and my undergrad mentor, who went through this whole thing at a very young age, has always told me that one more year is nothing in the grand scheme of things and that she wished she had taken more time :)

I think you answered your own question. If a friend asked you whether they should spend money on a program they don't want and that won't help them in the future, what would you tell them?

And if I were you, I wouldn't throw around the 'old' word at 24. Chances are that you'll be one of the youngest grad students!

:) Thank you.

I just turned 24 last month and wil begin my PhD this fall and I imagine I'd still feel like a baby in my program. Plenty of people start in their late 20s - early 30s, and it's been said that a few years of non-school experiences can do wonder to your perspectives, self-esteem, and emotional management skills. And rachelann1991 is right, a year only seems long and/or a waste when we're young and feel like we should hurry on with our lives. Trust me, I often feel the same and my undergrad mentor, who went through this whole thing at a very young age, has always told me that one more year is nothing in the grand scheme of things and that she wished she had taken more time :)

Thanks so much. This puts a lot into perspective for me.

There is two things that I don't agree with in the OP.

One - life is not a rat race. No one gets 'points' for doing things quickly. Being 25 and starting a Ph.D. is perfectly normal, and actually on the young side I imagine for the median of ages that enter into Ph.D. programs. The people that go straight to college-straight to Ph.D. I find really lack certain aspects of personality than others who didn't go that route. For one, people who are always in school lack general social skills because they spend so much time in independent studying situations. Secondly, they lack 'life experience.' They haven't done a lot of things, aren't well rounded people, and haven't just lived their lives. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but life isn't meant to be spent going to school 100% of your adult life.

Secondly, this statement is the root of the problem: "I won't waste a year of my life." Taking a year off from school is not wasting a year of your life, quite the opposite in fact. Take the year off, decline the offer from Syracuse. Go travelling, get a job, do some things you have never done but always wanted to. Learn a language. Work on your applications so that they are the best you can possibly make them be. In other words, live your life for a year. You just spent the last 5 or 6 years in college, take a break for a second and smell the roses.

Edited by victorydance

There is two things that I don't agree with in the OP.

One - life is not a rat race. No one gets 'points' for doing things quickly. Being 25 and starting a Ph.D. is perfectly normal, and actually on the young side I imagine for the median of ages that enter into Ph.D. programs. The people that go straight to college-straight to Ph.D. I find really lack certain aspects of personality than others who didn't go that route. For one, people who are always in school lack general social skills because they spend so much time in independent studying situations. Secondly, they lack 'life experience.' They haven't done a lot of things, aren't well rounded people, and haven't just lived their lives. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but life isn't meant to be spent going to school 100% of your adult life.

Secondly, this statement is the root of the problem: "I won't waste a year of my life." Taking a year off from school is not wasting a year of your life, quite the opposite in fact. Take the year off, decline the offer from Syracuse. Go travelling, get a job, do some things you have never done but always wanted to. Learn a language. Work on your applications so that they are the best you can possibly make them be. In other words, live your life for a year. You just spent the last 5 or 6 years in college, take a break for a second and smell the roses.

Thank you so much. I definitely will. It's about time for me to start living. :)

Heh, I'm just entering into one with only a BA (not a masters) and I turn 27 in a little over a month.

Plenty of people start in their late 20s - early 30s, and it's been said that a few years of non-school experiences can do wonder to your perspectives, self-esteem, and emotional management skills. 

SO MUCH THIS. I'm a very different person now at nearly 28 than when I graduated at 23. Had I gone straight through, I would've crashed and burned, I can guarantee you that. Working has allowed me to solidify who I am, what I want to do, and to pick up general life skills. I have lived on my own, managed my own finances, planned for retirement, dated lots of unique and cultured people, traveled places, experienced amazing highs and some terrible lows that taught me a lot in the process. While it's normal to be disappointed if your life timeline gets a little altered, look at the bountiful positives and pinpoint focus your ambition to use it best. :)

Age is an important factor for admission committees, too. It might help your application if you reapply a year out of school. As the others said, you are far from 'old.' In fact you will be one of the younger (if not youngest) student in your (hopeful) cohort. I'll be well into my 30's when I finish my PhD. I'm glad I'm doing it a bit 'older.' I honestly don't think I could have handled it when I was in my early 20's.

I'm glad you decided to take the year off, OP - I think that's the best decision for you.

On the topic of being older, I was 22 when I began my PhD and had just graduated from undergrad 3 months before.  I did indeed crash and burn (although I picked myself back up, and just finished Monday).  I also felt like the baby of my cohort - the next youngest person was 25, and the oldest of us was 24 when she began.  Even in my secondary cohort most people ranged late 20s to early 30s when we started.  I was one of the very few - and the only, in my primary cohort - who came straight from undergrad (which led to a really funny rumor in my primary department in my third year that I was a 19-year-old child prodigy, lol!)  Even most of the people who started 2-4 years after me were older than me, or the same age as me in my fourth year when they started the program.

Given my own experience I am a fierce advocate of taking some time between college and grad school - at least 2 years, but I think even more time is good.  Soul searching is a great exercise; making sure that you are emotionally ready for the enterprise of a PhD is important.  This is a bleak but still somewhat true portrayal of how a PhD can wreak havoc on your mental health - her takeaway point is that "doing a PhD will break you."  I tell my students to please consider taking some time off; if they are really serious - and really need a PhD to do what they want in life - they will come back.  Grad school will always be here.