East Asian Studies 2015

Hi jujubea,

Do you mind if I pick your former FSO brain on the Asia policy programs I am considering?

Some background: Georgetown SFS (International Politics) and JET Program alum (immediately following graduation so no full time work experience), 2+ years of writing and internship experience on policy of and toward Asia at top think tanks in DC and Tokyo, currently completing intensive Japanese language program at Keio University. Interested in a career in US Asia policy, particularly in the FS political cone.

My options are Johns Hopkins SAIS with $20K/year, Georgetown SFS Asian Studies with $40+/year (practically tuition), or Columbia-Tokyo dual master's with no funding (second year in Tokyo will be $5K at most).

Given the Georgetown funding package I am leaning away from SAIS and toward either Georgetown SFS Asian Studies or Columbia SIPA- Todai GraSPP. From this point funding is a relative non-issue. The principal debate is whether further DC experience or in-country/region experience and the addition of a top regional degree is more important for my career goal.

Recognizing 1) that there is no magic bullet for getting into the Foreign Service, 2) my previous DC policy experience and in-country/ region experience, and 3) the potential (unconfirmed) to supplement the Georgetown DC placement with in-country/ region experience through a Boren Fellowship, do you find one of these options a better fit for my goal of working as a political officer on/ in Asia?

Thanks for your advice!

Hi All - I'm quite late to this thread...

Congratulations to everyone so far on their good news.

So, I thought I would be rejected, or at least not funded, by UCSB, and all the other programs I applied to were Communication, so I've been hanging out on those forums.

But turns out UCSB accepted me with a great package, so I'm likely going to be studying Daoism! However, it's a Religious Studies program, not an EAS program. My language skills aren't up to snuff for many EAS programs (I've long lost any Japanese proficiency, and really only have Chinese at a worthy level; no Korean or any other Asian languages), so I didn't apply to any. I'm also not very interested in politics, which a lot of the programs in my geographic area are focused on.

Anyone have similar interests?

I'll be learning Classical Chinese (no background, only modern Mandarin), and starting at the MA level, onto the PhD as a combined program.

Also, I know several people on this thread are looking at Security Studies and Foreign Service type programs. I'm a former FSO that was assigned to EA and would be happy to provide any info if it helps!

Best of luck to everyone!

UCSB is great for EA Religions. I only know Fabio Rambelli whose work is great and seems very friendly and approachable. 

I just got their (EALC) funding package today as well.

Good luck with the Mandarin!

Hello all,

I am currently in Georgetown's MASIA program and would be happy to talk about it with anyone! 

Thank you! I have a ready handful of questions.

1. How much can you branch out to other disciplines and take electives in non-Asian Studies subjects? The curriculum description says that 'Additional coursework can be used to fulfill a second concentration, apply towards one of Georgetown's graduate certificate programs or serve as available credits for electives.' What sort of classes could I take then? Other SFS classes? Any outside of SFS? I ask because I would like to gain a well-rounded IR education on top of focusing on East Asia specifically. 

2. I understand the class of students is pretty small. What do you make of that? How do you find you fit in with the rest of SFS? How is campus life in general?

3. What are your favourite and least favourite things about the program? If anything, what do you regret the most?

I really appreciate you doing this. I'm keen about attending, but I'm stuck on the other side of the world right now, never been to DC, let alone visit Georgetown. Your insights would really help!

Still waiting to hear from U Penn. Went for a Ph. D in EALC with a specialization in Japan...

have you heard from your POI? the offers were given long ago to me and another guy

Sukasa:

Great questions I will do my best to respond to them!

1) It's very easy to do so. Pretty much any class that you want to take as long as its course code is above a certain number can count as an elective. I'm currently take a French literature class as an elective. Though I don't really like literature all that much, I hope to work in an international organization one day and French is very useful for that. You can take classes outside of IR topics, heck outside of SFS as well. In fact, you can fulfill the core requirements, take on TWO concentrations, and STILL have a couple of electives left over. 

2) It's pretty nice that the class size is small. Most people are on a friendly basis with one another, although I think in general people are very busy and are interested in pursuing friendly/professional relationships with one another and not become buddy-buddies. There are a small handful of people who started dating with each other within the program, and some people are really good friends but on the whole it's mostly just everyone does his or her own thing. There is room for drama but I doubt that's unique to Georgetown. There are also plenty of opportunities to socialize and network with other people within our own program and with folks from other programs. There are happy hours and other kinds of events. 

3) I actually really like Georgetown. More than my undergrad in fact! 

One thing that I particularly like is that our M.A. program isn't solely an intermediary for a Ph.D. I know for a lot of other M.A. programs in Asian Studies, the expectation is that you are using it to prepare for further study. In our program, however, while you are very well prepared to go further in your education (we just had some people get into places like Duke, UPenn, UVa etc. for Political Science - very cool!), you don't have to. Many of our graduates go on to things in foreign service, state department, public service, etc. I think most people don't plan to apply for Ph.Ds in fact, but if that is something you're interested in, you have the resources and support you need to do so! I myself am thinking about applying to Ph.Ds, with University of Washington being my first choice - it's just a matter of when I'll apply (this year, next year, the year after meh who knows!).

Another cool thing: being the top-ranked university in the nation's capital, we get a lot of really cool speakers on campus. I've been able to attend presentations by (and met one-on-one with a few of them) Nicholas Kristof, Yeonmi Park (well-known defector from North Korea), Kevin Rudd (former governor of Australia), and others. We have a lunch with an ambassador series and have had chances to meet the Taiwanese Ambassador to the U.S., the British Ambassador to North Korea, etc. There's often free food at these events too, hehehe. 

The location is really convenient too for networking and meeting people in government and other high-end places. I was reading an article in the Economist Magazine the other day and it said something like "so and so person thinks this and that will happen in XYZ country" and I was like wait a minute, I got beers with him just last weekend! 

In terms of professional development, the program really helps with landing internships. I landed a cool one and never would have been able to had it not been for our program. 

The classes have been almost ALL great quality (with the exception of the Korean language class I took - will get to that later), instructors are friendly and helpful and knowledgeable (Dr. Green is also really funny). For one class in particular, we learned how to write policy memos. Now that was really neat and fun to do! The administrative staff are also very friendly and helpful. I'm sure you've communicated with Robert Lyons in the course of your application - he's great and we all love him!  

I love the campus as well. It's really aesthetically appealing and a pleasure to walk through. Can't help but feel a little proud of being at Georgetown! I also go to the gym everyday here. There are usually plenty of activities to do on campus to. Events, speaking engagements, happy hours, etc. The weather is generally pretty pleasant and mild, at least compared to what I'm used to. I went to undergrad in Chicago, and grew up in Canada though. So mild for me might mean something different for you. 

There are, of course, downsides...

Despite the good time I'm having here, and even though I really like it here, am happy here and find the program to be great quality, I still somewhat regret coming here. For one, personally I am fresh out of undergrad and I kind of wish I'd taken some time to do other things before grad school. There's definitely a little bit of burnout for me from schoolwork. This may not necessarily apply to you, but even if it does, going directly to grad school may be the right choice for you - everyone's situation is different.

Another thing is the cost. I unfortunately did not receive funding, and in light of that fact and the heavy loans I had to take out, I wish I'd thought things through more carefully because this student loan debt is immense. Not only is the program extremely costly, but the area to live in and to rent is extremely expensive. Just one month of rent for me here is probably enough to feed a family of four in my parents' city in China for a year. If you get FLAS or if you got a departmental fellowship, it might make it worth it, but for me I really wish I didn't have these loans. The area is extremely nice though, so I guess you get what you pay for. 

In terms of funding, I also feel a little misled and even a little played. I distinctly remember being told that the program tries to fund more second years. Guess what, none of the second years got FLAS funding last year and it is my impression that they didn't get departmental fellowships either. Words from another student:  the FLAS money and fellowships are just "bait money" to get students to enroll. Since I already sent in my deposit before they decided FLAS, they had no incentive to provide me fellowships. Since second years already have to finish if they want the degree, there's also no incentive to fund second years. I am applying for FLAS again but I know there's basically no point to doing so because I'm fairly certain they won't be giving second years funding. It makes me all the more bitter because I look at the people who did get funding, and while they certainly deserve it, I feel I am just as qualified as anyone.

I don't know what your regional interests are, but I am doing stuff related to Korea and accordingly took Korean language last semester. It was the worst foreign language class I've ever taken in my life, and I've taken many, many language classes. It was so poor that I stopped taking Korean this semester even though I love the language and the culture. And, had I known about the poor Korean language class, I would've signed up for Japanese from the start. Since I wasted a whole semester of language, and since I couldn't exactly start in the middle of the year for another language, I essentially wasted a year of potential language study and indeed, feel very bitter about this. I and several other grad students have complained to the department about the poor quality of Korean instruction. The instructor I had also came in late every singe day and one time came in half an hour late, popped her head in and smiled, then left again. The undergrads say things like "but it's an easy A!" well news flash, I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a letter on a piece of paper. Plus it's possible to have an easy A class that is simultaneously a good quality class. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for the class myself (the program pays for language classes). I'll probably take a semester of Japanese next school year, but that means at the end of the program I will only have one semester of Japanese whereas I could've had three. The good news is that apparently Chinese and Japanese are much better, so if that's what you're into, you're fine. 

Also, be careful of who you room with. I live with a couple folks from the program and unfortunately one of them is really inconsiderate and annoying, and considering I see this person every day both in the apartment and on campus, it is really unfortunate and detracts from the otherwise great experience of being here. 

Notice how I said at the beginning that I regret coming here somewhat. As long as I can find a good job that I like after graduation everything will be okay because I'll be able to pay off loans. But it definitely limits the possibility of traveling for a couple years or doing volunteer work for a couple years. 

I hope I have been helpful! 

Feel free to contact me with any further questions and I'll do my best to answer! 

Hi jujubea,

Do you mind if I pick your former FSO brain on the Asia policy programs I am considering?

Some background: Georgetown SFS (International Politics) and JET Program alum (immediately following graduation so no full time work experience), 2+ years of writing and internship experience on policy of and toward Asia at top think tanks in DC and Tokyo, currently completing intensive Japanese language program at Keio University. Interested in a career in US Asia policy, particularly in the FS political cone.

My options are Johns Hopkins SAIS with $20K/year, Georgetown SFS Asian Studies with $40+/year (practically tuition), or Columbia-Tokyo dual master's with no funding (second year in Tokyo will be $5K at most).

Given the Georgetown funding package I am leaning away from SAIS and toward either Georgetown SFS Asian Studies or Columbia SIPA- Todai GraSPP. From this point funding is a relative non-issue. The principal debate is whether further DC experience or in-country/region experience and the addition of a top regional degree is more important for my career goal.

Recognizing 1) that there is no magic bullet for getting into the Foreign Service, 2) my previous DC policy experience and in-country/ region experience, and 3) the potential (unconfirmed) to supplement the Georgetown DC placement with in-country/ region experience through a Boren Fellowship, do you find one of these options a better fit for my goal of working as a political officer on/ in Asia?

Thanks for your advice!

To be honest, the FS doesn't care at all where your degree is from, or even what you studied. We literally had a brain surgeon in my A-100 class, a fighter pilot, a couple lawyers, and even a pro-am poker player. My own undergrad degree is from a school nobody's ever heard of, with a degree akin to underwater basket-weaving. (Granted, I did learn Mandarin).

The biggest thing you can do for yourself at this point is keep studying language(s). You will be able to go further in your career a little more quickly (not much more quickly, but a little), and it will help a little bit with where you get assigned (again, only a little). Also, get as many cross-cultural experiences as you can, volunteer or otherwise get involved with international groups where you are frequently interfacing with non-Americans, or very new Americans. They love to see that, and it gives you great material for when going through the several rounds of hiring hoops.

Beyond that though, if money concerns you, if you plan to go right into the Foreign Service immediately following graduation, then taking the highest funding offer could potentially serve you well. If you get a moment, check out FS pay schedules (publicly available) and match them up with your credentials. They use a formula for determining your entry pay, based on highest degree earned, and time in work experience. If what you're making with your stipend (or other current salary) is higher than what their formula comes up with, they do their best to match your existing pay. I'm pretty sure in your case though, that the formula calculation will be higher regardless, because of your degree and combined work experience (how many months/years total?).

All of your policy experience is going to make you nicely competitive for the political cone/track. It's all in how you spin your materials through the hiring process - basically, you get to focus on whatever you choose in your background, so focus on that, and you'll be golden. 

When you get closer to application time, let me know, and I can point you to some resources (I realize that won't be for a couple years... but I plan on being around GC for the next several years, at least :) ). 

I realize that doesn't help you make your decision between the three schools, at least not in terms of prepping for the FS. So, as for that, I'd choose somewhere you will be happiest, have the best lifestyle, and greater opportunities for international involvement. Remember, with the FS you could end up in some terrible places, so live it up while you can!

edited to add: I just reread your post again and saw the Boren Fellowship. That is an excellent opportunity to get the kind of international involvement that can make you shine as a candidate.

Edited by jujubea

Hi all! This is my first time posting on Grad Cafe, but I've been lurking the forums for a while... Figured it's time to start talking.

I've received acceptances from USC and Georgetown for East Asian Studies (MA), but I'm quite torn over the two. USC has offered me the TA Fellowship (a generous stipend and tuition remission), while Georgetown hasn't offered me any funding (MAJOR kudos to you, Sukasa). It seems obvious that I should go for USC, but since I wasn't expecting to get into Georgetown I'm finding it difficult to part ways with what could be a very exciting and totally different experience.

ANY insight from current students at either of these programs, or people in the same boat? 

Definitely USC if money is an issue. TA Fellowships are always hard to get. If not its really up to what you want to do in the future.

California versus D.C. it is a hard decision!!

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Washington Jackson School Master's programs in East Asia (Japan Studies, Korea Studies, China Studies)?

Hey there! I heard back from them perhaps a week ago? I was accepted to the Korea Studies program, but I have yet to hear anything about funding.

Hey there! I heard back from them perhaps a week ago? I was accepted to the Korea Studies program, but I have yet to hear anything about funding.

That's what I heard - Korea Studies decisions are out but not the Japan or China Studies ones.

I have to say this: thank God I found you guys. I was wondering about the Jackson School as well. I made a call to them on Thursday (3/19) asking them when they thought applications might be out specifically for China Studies and they said, and I quote, "soon, maybe in a couple of days".

Well, I honestly don't blame them too much because I was also told they had a larger than normal pool of applicants to sift through this year. Hopefully everyone who's applied to that program will know soon though! This is the last school I myself need to hear from and I'm just getting antsy.

Okay, I kind of broke down and called the Jackson School again and the attendant who answered stated that in the recent history of the China Studies Department, they have never taken this long. He also said that they realize that a lot of students will have to be making decisions despite not receiving a letter from the China Studies Department and they're deeply apologetic about it. It's frustrating, but what else can we do?

Did any of you hear about FLAS funding even if you haven't heard about your acceptance to the programs? I was also accepted to the MA in Korean Studies at Jackson a couple weeks ago, and have been wait-listed at both the NRC's for FLAS. I contacted the program director and he said that funding is very limited, and even for FLAS the Korean Studies department can only sneak in a couple students each year.

I'm stuck between this program, IR/PS at UCSD, and a dual degree program between American SIS and Korea University. I'm not sure I can justify the expense at Washington without funding, especially since UCSD would be so much cheaper, and American/Korea would give me fantastic connections in both DC and Seoul.

Has anyone been accepted for a FLAS yet at any programs? I haven't heard of anyone within Mandarin language that has been notified as of yet.

Has anyone been accepted for a FLAS yet at any programs? I haven't heard of anyone within Mandarin language that has been notified as of yet.

FLAS decisions are made by the university so you should look for the FLAS coordinator at each program you've been accepted to and ask about it.

Anyone planning to attend Georgetown MASIA?

Hey Ingster, I'm still deciding between GU MASIA and USC  :wacko:  Are you definitely going to GU?

Hey Ingster, I'm still deciding between GU MASIA and USC  :wacko:  Are you definitely going to GU?

Hi.

I am also deciding between this school and GWU Elliott.

I was accepted to Georgetown without any funding and since I know that I'll be doing phd after, I'll probably go to a school that costs me less for masters.

However, still deciding!!!

For those of you still deciding between Georgetown MASIA and other programs, if funding is an issue, I heard from the administration of the program that FLAS results will be released (hopefully) on April 15th or prior. 

Good luck all! 

Sukasa: ...

Thank you so much MastersHoping, I'm sorry this is super belated but it's been really helpful. This, and Victor Cha's assurances have me pretty much sold.

I guess I'll be seeing you on campus in September! I haven't formally accepted yet, but I'm pretty sure I will. Hoping others here will also join me :D

I went along to a SAIS offerholders event last week and told them I was undecided because of a full tuition offer from Georgetown. The SAIS alumni just sighed and nodded and told me to go Hoya... haha.

Edited by Sukasa

Hey,

Glad to hear it!!!

Well, if you got a full tuition offer from Georgetown, my "negatives" about the program don't really apply to you then! :D So see ya in the fall! 

What is your regional focus? China, Korea, Japan, South Asia, SE Asia, etc?