HELP! should I accept my MSW at USC when I want to work in education?

ashleybarz

Hello all! Last year when I was applying to MSW programs, I was extremely interested in Social Work. I began working at a High School in LAUSD, and recently became more interested in the education field. I was recently promoted to a College Counselor assistant position where I give my students resources on how to apply for colleges and what to expect. I was on the waiting list at USC for their MSW program and just assumed I would not get in. However, I just got a call saying a spot opened up and they are offering me admission to the program. I was ecstatic, but I don't know if I should accept it due to my new interest in education. I know for sure I want to work in education and work with high school students or in community colleges. Would an MSW allow me to do that? My concentration at USC is school settings so I would be obtaining my PPS credential which is needed to be a school counselor, but I don't know if it is worth it to get my MSW when I know I want work in education. Any feed back would be great.

Thank you!!

I just would hesitate to recommend USC MSW because of their insanely high cost of tuition! That coupled with what sounds like your desire to be a school counselor... yes, I would advise you to decline.

I second the tuition concern - unless you have significant aid at USC, the cost alone would make me decline.

But do you want to work in schools, or do you specifically want to be a school counselor?  If you want to be a guidance counselor you have to go to specific programs to get licensed for that, and so you should turn down the MSW.  But if you just want to work in schools, one way to do that is as a school social worker.  You won't really be doing college advising, though - more like helping students with issues navigate the school setting.

I second the tuition concern - unless you have significant aid at USC, the cost alone would make me decline.

But do you want to work in schools, or do you specifically want to be a school counselor?  If you want to be a guidance counselor you have to go to specific programs to get licensed for that, and so you should turn down the MSW.  But if you just want to work in schools, one way to do that is as a school social worker.  You won't really be doing college advising, though - more like helping students with issues navigate the school setting.

USC did give me a significant amount of aid, so the cost is not much of a worry for me. As of now, due to my position, I've been interested in college advising. However, I know with the MSW at USC, I will be granted a PPS credential that will allow me to be a counselor. I know Social Work has become a very broad area and I'm wondering if I should go a more broad route with an MSW or a more narrow route with School Counseling. 

Thank you for your help!!

Any chance you could defer for one year? If so, I would seriously consider it. It sounds like you are very undecided at this point in time. After applying to some school counselling programs for next year and seeing what kinds of offers you get, your current MSW offer is likely to look either more or less appealing to you next year when you have all of your options on the table.

Edited by jenste

I'd do it. If you can get the PPE and be a counselor and start in the area you want to work AND have an entire career field to fall back on if you happen to get bored of advising... why not? Sounds like a win/win.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go for the MSW. I am also interested in college advising, and have been debating this as well. But i've come to the conclusion that obtaining an MSW degree is good as it such a broad scope of practice. You can do counseling with an MSW. Alot of the counselor jobs at colleges that I have looked at require a masters in social work, or relate field such as counseling, psychology, student affairs.. etc. And plus, if you were ever to get bored with beign an advisor, you can always look for other employment in the many realms of social work .