MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

How much debt are you guys okay with accumulating for your art degree?

Louisiana state university offered me a free ride plus stipend and they said they need an answer this week. I visited and I didn't like it at all. But it's freeee. And the other schools that I got into are pretty expensive. I'm scared I'm going to look back on this and kick myself for not accepting lsu's offer. What do I do?!?! What are you guys doing?!?!

I was in a similar situation last year and I decided to wait, build my portfolio and get some teaching experience and this time around I've been accepted into some of my top programs with full GAships and stipends, so it's definitely worth taking the time instead of going somewhere you will be miserable for whatever reason.  

How much debt are you guys okay with accumulating for your art degree?

Louisiana state university offered me a free ride plus stipend and they said they need an answer this week. I visited and I didn't like it at all. But it's freeee. And the other schools that I got into are pretty expensive. I'm scared I'm going to look back on this and kick myself for not accepting lsu's offer. What do I do?!?! What are you guys doing?!?!

I would only accept if you decide you don't like any of the other offers. If it comes down to another year of creating, why not do your work within a FREE mfa program. If you end up liking the school, great-stay on with them. If not, leave and apply to other schools! Utilize the opportunity.

I sense there must have been a very serious conflict within the program... maybe it's too much imagination, but all these people leaving the mfa could be a result of a discussion? Do you still have the contact info of the grad coordinator who left? I agree, if this is the case we could end up being artsy guinea pigs.

RE: USC Roski

I live in LA and know some of the story there,

They have a new dean who is tearing that place apart, all due to a new focus on "innovation in the arts", spurred on by a large gift from Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, probably a big tax write off scheme from their sale of Beats to Apple.  That is what set the whole thing in motion. That school was probably the best in the country, not that US News and World Report ever noticed

Part of what made that school great is how selective they could be with their admissions, due to the small size, the full ride and great faculty. All that has changed. If you haven't gotten into any better schools and are willing to take a risk, it could work out really well. Some faculty might stay. It is still an amazing legacy at that school and some of that should or could remain.  And if some of the funding remains maybe you should go for it.  It is a great time to be in LA too.

Edited by kick87

Accepted to Rutgers with big funding. Super excited.

Here's a question for anyone:

If I have to choose between Hunter (no funding) and Rutgers (big funding), which would you recommend?

You're from NY and Hunter is still pretty cheap without funding though right?  It might be best to stay in NYC,

Edited by kick87

They have a new dean who is tearing that place apart, all due to a new focus on "innovation in the arts", spurred on by a large gift from Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, probably a big tax write off scheme from their sale of Beats to Apple.  That is what set the whole thing in motion. That school was probably the best in the country, not that US News and World Report ever noticed

Part of what made that school great is how selective they could be with their admissions, due to the small size, the full ride and great faculty. All that has changed. If you haven't gotten into any better schools and are willing to take a risk, it could work out really well. Some faculty might stay. It is still an amazing legacy at that school and some of that should or could remain.  And if some of the funding remains maybe you should go for it.  It is a great time to be in LA too.

yuck this whole thing is getting really weird ...Dr Dre??? I thought you were pulling my leg until...

https://news.usc.edu/50816/jimmy-iovine-and-dr-dre-give-70-million-to-create-new-academy-at-usc/

O_o

It would be extremely,absurdly,funny. Now I really want to go haha. 

Thanks for sharing btw!

Edited by Milkyways

I emailed USC and was told all decisions would be sent out "mid-march so very soon", just FYI to everyone.

Who did you speak with?

After she announced her resignation, I sent Frances Stark a message through Instagram just saying that I was currently in the process of applying to USC, that she was a significant part of the appeal of that program for me, and that it was disappointing that that I'd no longer have the opportunity (were I to be accepted) to work with her. 

Her short response: "Don't apply, save your money, stay in touch..."

I don't know for sure, but I think your description above is a huge part of why she left and why she was encouraging me not to apply. It's really a bummer because, when I started the application process probably 6-7 months ago now, USC was at the very top of the list of schools I wanted to go to. Since that time, it's only slipped further and further down the list.  :unsure:

What

After she announced her resignation, I sent Frances Stark a message through Instagram just saying that I was currently in the process of applying to USC, that she was a significant part of the appeal of that program for me, and that it was disappointing that that I'd no longer have the opportunity (were I to be accepted) to work with her. 

Her short response: "Don't apply, save your money, stay in touch..."

I don't know for sure, but I think your description above is a huge part of why she left and why she was encouraging me not to apply. It's really a bummer because, when I started the application process probably 6-7 months ago now, USC was at the very top of the list of schools I wanted to go to. Since that time, it's only slipped further and further down the list.  :unsure:

What's Frances' insta handle?! and yours? i'm thepictureisstill B)

everyone's favorite people to follow on instagram, go!

I've been creepin heavy on this forum -

Anyone hear back from UW Seattle outside the 3d4m realm?

How about RIT or Syracuse outside of Photo?

Thus far accepted to Davis - SMFA

Interviewing with Purchase - anyone else?

I've been creepin heavy on this forum -

Anyone hear back from UW Seattle outside the 3d4m realm?

How about RIT or Syracuse outside of Photo?

Thus far accepted to Davis - SMFA

Interviewing with Purchase - anyone else?

I know someone who's been accepted into Syracuse in print, but I don't know about any of the others

Hey guys that are Interviewing for Hunter,

What are your check in times? it seems like there are some who are interviewing early in the afternoon and some who are interviewing later. I thought they met with all of the interviewees as a group first.

I can't look right now, but I think it was about 45min before the interview? Something like that, maybe just a half hour.

No idea if they meet as a group first.

Wow the USC stuff is so fascinating. I would be torn wanting to get my $ back or just go and get with that legacy and be in LA! I realize this is not the least but helpful. LOL. Just saying. I feel for you guys.  

Did anyone else apply for American U? The program is growing and DC is a cool place right now. Have no idea where I'm going. I was told Carnegie Mellon is deliberating on the 17th. Trying to wait it out til then. 

Edited by Marchy

Did anyone else apply for American U? The program is growing and DC is a cool place right now. Have no idea where I'm going. I was told Carnegie Mellon is deliberating on the 17th. Trying to wait it out til then. 

I applied and was accepted to American U last year and was really excited about it. I ended up with a fair amount of funding, but since it's a private school with private school levels of tuition I still would have had to at least take out full loan amounts in order to attend and probably work at least part time on top of the assistantship they awarded me to live there so I opted out of it.  DC is amazing, though, and I think I would have been really happy there, it just wasn't right for me financially.  

Oh I heard that we won't hear back from carnegie mellon till the last week of march! That's what my interviewer said. But that would be nice to hear around the 17th!

I applied and was accepted to American U last year and was really excited about it. I ended up with a fair amount of funding, but since it's a private school with private school levels of tuition I still would have had to at least take out full loan amounts in order to attend and probably work at least part time on top of the assistantship they awarded me to live there so I opted out of it.  DC is amazing, though, and I think I would have been really happy there, it just wasn't right for me financially.  

Wow congrats, and I know what you mean. It will be interesting to see what the offer. Very steep tuition as you said. Smart of you to wait and reapply again to other programs. 

Oh I heard that we won't hear back from carnegie mellon till the last week of march! That's what my interviewer said. But that would be nice to hear around the 17th!

Yeah, that sounds about right...my interviewer said they would be doing presentations/ voting on us on the 17th. 

Edited by Marchy