MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Just got a rejection from UCLA. Expected.

You should go-its a free program and I believe you also get a stipend. It's one of the most competitive programs and the faculty is amazing! Only downside are the facilities aren't amazing.

I got the email too. I hate the way they turned a rejection letter into an infomercial. It seems exploitative.

Hunter interviews are now!

Hey Guys/Gals,

How did your interviews at Hunter go?

Mine was all right. 2 of the interviewers were quite nice and were more interested in me just informing them about my practice and ideas, stuff I was reading, my previous education, etc... the 3rd, however, was much more challenging, and asked some surprisingly difficult questions. Overall, I think it went pretty well, but who knows.

Did anyone else have a particularly awful experience interviewing at Hunter? I felt like one of the two people interviewing had it out for me. It was a really bizarre experience. Multiple passive-aggressive questions from this one person. Asked about how financial aid works and was quickly told "getting in here is a scholarship." 

I've interviewed with three other programs and didn't have anything remotely like this. I felt like they were actively going in, looking for ways to argue/discredit anything I said. Maybe this person was against me even being considered? It felt awful, and was hardly a critique of my work or experience. 

At least all my interviews are OVER. Now the waiting on financial aid game begins...

I had the exact same experience, I wonder if we interviewed with the same people! It seemed like they were very unfamiliar with my work as I had to explain everything in its entirety, which seemed like a waste of time. In certain moments it was like they were very interested but then I would be met with 1 or 2 of them strongly challenging some of the decisions I made. I was rushed out with no opportunity to ask questions. Did I do something wrong?!

I am SO sorry to hear about your experiences. Mine was pretty good. I knew two of my interviewers by name, one of whom I had met before... but one guy (who I don't know), asked super difficult questions and was not "nice" like the others. I found those sorts of questions a bit inappropriate given the situation.

Do you remember the names of those who interviewed you? I know a number of faculty there and can tell you whether it's just how they are in general or not.

I am SO sorry to hear about your experiences. Mine was pretty good. I knew two of my interviewers by name, one of whom I had met before... but one guy (who I don't know), asked super difficult questions and was not "nice" like the others. I found those sorts of questions a bit inappropriate given the situation.

Do you remember the names of those who interviewed you? I know a number of faculty there and can tell you whether it's just how they are in general or not.

Mine went pretty well too- but it was through Skype so maybe we had different interviewers? They were all really nice (only two interviewers and one alumni)- no unexpected questions or "gotcha" questions at all. Good Luck everyone!

Hunter. 4th interview this season. I hope I'm get better with experience. Overall it went well. Better than I thought it would. So I was told we should know something in 2 weeks.

hey, yeah, said same to me. That seems super late to me as so many other schools have already decided... frustrating.

Chiboi- ACCEPTED at Columbia, wait listed at YALE?! I would be doing cartwheels. Congrats! 

Thanks Marchy!  :)  also, I responded to your private message in case you didn't see it! 

So excited! OMG! Finally get the admission email from RISD

really? Crap I haven't heard anything bout if I've been accepted or not  and I just emailed Dennis Congdon about a day or so ago. Said they were still deciding. Maybe you were an easy pick :D haha! congrats!

I interviewed with Hoffberger in 2012 and was waitlisted. I did their portfolio review this November and got great feedback. Took the advice, made a ton of new work, and felt great about my portfolio, but I wasn't invited for an interview this time. I did see that someone in this thread posted that MICA doesn't always interview likely admitted students immediately, but I've heard literally nothing, save for those update emails from Chris. Trying not to get my hopes up.

My mind numbing job is killing me, too. Ugh. Also I have a nasty cold, so I've been pretty all around miserable this week. I just want this to be over.

Thanks for the kind words, KSuverkrubbe. I really appreciate it.

OH i didn't realize you hadn't been interviewed. That Joan Waltermath is kind of tough. She'd be great to learn from though. She pretty much decides everything there in the painting program...But yeah I hope things are good. if not, at least your portfolio got stronger right?

My interviewer told me outright at the end that MICA's funding is "embarrassing", at least for Mt. Royal though I can't imagine it difers much between schools. I.e., some for all, all for none -- you can expect 20-60% at best out of 45k. But most people get around 1/3rd of tuition I believe...

Ehg to be honest at two other schools though I've been offered 50 % and 60% respectively even if they say I am 'one of their top candidates' <<I sometimes don't know if they are being honest , or they say that to everyone. I kind of trust them though. I think maybe there is another student who could have gotten lucky over me? but it sounds like this offer is pretty much the best you are going to get at most  schools unless you're very very lucky (well schools that aren't more local, lesser known schools I guess ).

I'd love to hear from anyone who attended the CalArts interview day.  Any impressions re facilities, studios, etc?

That place is great! Initially I thought I wouldn't really consider going there because of financial situation, but I really love the place now. I don't know what program you're applying to, and I am Art and Tech which has different studio space within the main building, but I did tour the art studios and they were great and feel like a small community in a corner of the campus with an outdoor BBQ space as they call it. The whole school of art share some facilities used by four departments such as the super shop, which has abundant equipments for fabrication and sculpture work, and the mac lab and video lab, which I find a bit lacking if you want to do any high-demand graphics work because they don't have mac pro but used iMac instead. There seems to be ample opportunities to work with students and faculty from other schools or departments if you're interested and seek them out. 

I'd love to hear from anyone who attended the CalArts interview day.  Any impressions re facilities, studios, etc?

I applied to the Graphic Design program and really fell in love with the place. It's hard not to feel inspired by all these creative disciplines being housed closely together and I found the design studios sufficient and comfortable enough to work in. You really get the "art school" experience; walking from the design department, I'll find myself in the dance department or near the animation studios. I think like 40 people attended the Interview Day for the design program and honestly, I felt really, really tiny and intimidated since there were applicants from all over the world, and those who had more experience than me. I had mixed feelings about how I did in the interview, but I was accepted on Thursday and am completely floored.

Received a phone call from Kent State University for a Skype interview, since it's my spring break I'm going to visit andhave an in-person interview! Here is to hoping for a good response. I also checked UK's portal and I was rejected. 

KSuverkrubbe, why do you think you've been rejected post your MICA interview? I thought they have yet to send anything out. 

Joan Waltermath, the head of the painting department - the one who interviews everyone, basically told me I would not be getting in. That I wasn't experienced enough- I need to be a year out of school ...and have more life experience, etc. She told me that she usually does not accept fresh undergraduate students. It was obvious to me that she didn't really think I would be able to do well in her program where I am at now.  It was also obvious to me that the odds are stacked against undergraduates, but a highly qualified active one can still get in.

She did tell me to try again next year :P. But I am not waiting around for next year lol.

Again though, i keep trying to make sure that people dont' think I am badmouthing her or MICA; it's just probably going to be harder to get into that school as a new BFA than if you had more time under your belt.

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

Well KSuverkrubbe, good for you for applying and still not letting hearing that from MICA hold you back. I've heard most programs will have a real spring chicken or two in the mix. :)

Also to be fair to her, I was really bad during the interview too. I felt like I bombed it..

I don't even think I did so well in the RISD interview either.

Lol the places I got  decent financial awards for are places I didn't even have an interview for. PNCA (which did have a phone interview) gave me a small scholarship. Syracuse, Boston, PAFA- no interview.

Hahah I may just REALLY suck at interviews.

Well KSuverkrubbe, good for you for applying and still not letting hearing that from MICA hold you back. I've heard most programs will have a real spring chicken or two in the mix. :)

Yeah the other programs don't seem to mind undergraduate students as much. RISD even mentioned that new BFAs aren't the norm, but they have them and they usually do fine. :P

Well,, when I applied I did my best at being honest when I filled out the application. I told every school that I needed more exposure and had a lot to learn - that I needed to really work on my professional skills. My honesty may have hurt me somewhat, but I still got an interview with RISD and MICA despite it. I see that as a plus. I know I am weak in the professional- presenting aspect of making art work.

In the end I want to be in the program that is best for me and that I would be a good fit for. MICA obviously wasn't that program at the present time..

The Hunter interview seemingly went well. There were multiple interviews going on simultaneously, so there were various personalities involved. Some of it is just the luck of the draw. I don't think that it means you didn't do well. I think it reflects more on the interviewer. It sounds like the ones that didn't seem to go well had similar experiences so it might have been the same guy interviewing you.

Received a phone call from Kent State University for a Skype interview, since it's my spring break I'm going to visit andhave an in-person interview! Here is to hoping for a good response. I also checked UK's portal and I was rejected. 

Congrats!! Also, I'll be hosting you on Tuesday for a bit when you visit. 

Anyone else here considering the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth?

I've been accepted and offered a grad assistantship, and am overall pleased with the school, their contact, and the people I have met, but its farther away than I would really like, which would ultimately mean added costs and other considerations; the other school I'm considering is much closer and in a bigger city which may provide more artistic opportunities in the long run, though its a bigger program and I don't feel I've made any real connection with anyone there yet. 

I'd love to hear from anyone who attended the CalArts interview day. Any impressions re facilities, studios, etc?

Great place! Best I've seen so far

Congrats!! Also, I'll be hosting you on Tuesday for a bit when you visit. 

Thanks, I am very excited to see the facilities and to meet everyone in person! Thank you for all your insight about the program and about applying. :) 

Also, congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Montana! I haven't been keeping a good track on the forums lately...just popping in and out. The University I am currently attending has been considering to eliminate several programs on campus (including art) and it has been quite chaotic and stressful.