Applying for Fall 2015

CP3

Hey everybody! I noticed that someone posted about a Yale Musicology PhD interview... does that mean that they have already offered the Yale Theory PhD interviews as well? 

Not sure. Also, last year they accepted at least one person without interviewing them, so the Yale picture might not become clear for another week or so.

Edited by kccur

Hey everybody! I noticed that someone posted about a Yale Musicology PhD interview... does that mean that they have already offered the Yale Theory PhD interviews as well? 

Also, any news on Harvard or Columbia?

Best luck to everyone!

Arrrgh ya I'm assuming now that I'm not on my way to Yale, seeing as I haven't heard about an interview yet. Maybe I'll hold out hope for another few days. It was a bit of a long shot for me anyways! Best of luck to all applicants! Can't wait to start hearing about some acceptances for everyone.

Musicology

Applied: 6 --- Columbia, Yale, SUNY Stony Brook, Cornell, McGill, U of T

Accepted: 0/6

Rejected: 0/6

Interviews: 0/6

I'm on the same boat.. Not really big schools.

When I was doing my masters I learned that even from 'small' schools there are a lot of great things.

Not to offend anyone but one of my undergrad profs was absolutely terrible (yale phd, bragged a lot too) while profs from smaller schools seem to work even harder because of their 'inferior' academic background.

I'm not applying for composition (studied comp. as undergrad though) but there are some prestigious composition programs around the country that I really can't stand. But I also saw many great composers coming out from 'smaller' programs too. I sometimes wonder if composers are distracted by rigorous academic curriculum at big names and not able to spend enough time on compositions..

I've heard the same thing about some comp programs, Counterpointer. I'm applying for composition DMAs and this is one of my biggest questions about places where I've gotten offers. The only thing to do is talk to current students at places, to see what it's really like. But it's so ironic that composers have no time to compose in their doctoral programs.... 

This week will probably be a big one. Good luck, everyone!

(And man, composers, you guys are really making me not sad that I went into theory instead. Your applications/admissions process sounds far more nightmarish than ours, and ours is still a huge pain)

I've heard the same thing about some comp programs, Counterpointer. I'm applying for composition DMAs and this is one of my biggest questions about places where I've gotten offers. The only thing to do is talk to current students at places, to see what it's really like. But it's so ironic that composers have no time to compose in their doctoral programs.... 

What's even more ironic is that composers still don't have time to compose after they begin teaching in academia. It's a never-ending battle.

This week will probably be a big one. Good luck, everyone!

(And man, composers, you guys are really making me not sad that I went into theory instead. Your applications/admissions process sounds far more nightmarish than ours, and ours is still a huge pain)

Thanks for recognizing our struggle kccur. In hindsight, I sort of wish I went into a different field of study in music. This is my 2nd round of applications, I got shut out 2 years ago. Yet this time around, I'm still biting my nails. I have 3 rejections, one completed interview, 1 "wait-list" and 2 other schools that I haven't heard from yet. (BTW, the last two schools were my "reach" schools, not feeling completely confident about that!) Plus, my interview was sort of shaky. Fun times  :unsure:

… my interview was sort of shaky. 

Don't freak out about that. We always have the feeling that things went worse than they actually did when there is too much at stake and, therefore, stress takes over. You certainly did the best you could and that is all that matters. I had an interview last week and my memory betrayed me a few times. It turned out the interview was about those moments. Stay strong! Best of luck. :)

I think my stress-shopping addiction will be the only thing getting me through this waiting period!! Can't wait to hear some actual results

Pick up some Valium for me.  :)

Good luck everyone!

Has anyone seen the Carnegie Mellon screw up? That's my worst nightmare! I heard that happened at the University of Michigan a few years ago with a few performance areas, too.

Whatever rejections will inevitably come in this week for me, I'll be thankful that (hopefully) won't happen.

Don't freak out about that. We always have the feeling that things went worse than they actually did when there is too much at stake and, therefore, stress takes over. You certainly did the best you could and that is all that matters. I had an interview last week and my memory betrayed me a few times. It turned out the interview was about those moments. Stay strong! Best of luck. :)

Thanks eternal student for the positive vibes, I need them. When I got home from work today I found a lovely rejection letter in the mailbox. Geesh. Looks like this will be a big week for music applicants according to past search results. Hopefully good news for everyone. BTW, is anyone on this thread applying to grad schools for a second time around? 

Thanks eternal student for the positive vibes, I need them. When I got home from work today I found a lovely rejection letter in the mailbox. Geesh. Looks like this will be a big week for music applicants according to past search results. Hopefully good news for everyone. BTW, is anyone on this thread applying to grad schools for a second time around? 

I am sorry about that rejection CP3. Their loss!! ;)

When I was admitted in the masters program I am finishing now, that was the result of my third try. So, this application season is my fourth. Never give up CP3. Never give up. :)

Has anyone seen the Carnegie Mellon screw up? That's my worst nightmare! I heard that happened at the University of Michigan a few years ago with a few performance areas, too.

Whatever rejections will inevitably come in this week for me, I'll be thankful that (hopefully) won't happen.

What happened? 

Anyone have updates on Harvard theory, Yale theory or Columbia?

I am very sorry to say this but I think those us who have not heard from Harvard should… well… think about other options. I have see that two people who applied to the musicology program and one who applied to the composition program posted acceptances on the results list here. So… the theorists may still hold on some hope (assuming that the non existence of results for theory means the decisions have yet to be made) but the rest of us should move on, I guess. Yale and Columbia are still silent, as far as I know. Composition at Yale already released the results 2 weeks (or more?) ago. So I am assuming the other programs should not take much longer.

Good luck everyone!

Finally got an acceptance!   :) 5 rejections plus another school that is giving me a final decision late March (did not get invited to interview, so it is a presumed "NO")

Hope everyone else is getting some type of good news!

Finally got an acceptance!   :) 5 rejections plus another school that is giving me a final decision late March (did not get invited to interview, so it is a presumed "NO")

Hope everyone else is getting some type of good news!

Congratulations! 

Is there an etiquette for receiving a form letter acceptance? Should I be emailing someone in the department to acknowledge being accepted, or should I just wait until they contact me about funding? (they said it would be "soon")