Applying for Fall 2015

CP3

Finally got an acceptance!   :) 5 rejections plus another school that is giving me a final decision late March (did not get invited to interview, so it is a presumed "NO")

Hope everyone else is getting some type of good news!

Congratulations!! :)

Finally got an acceptance!   :) 5 rejections plus another school that is giving me a final decision late March (did not get invited to interview, so it is a presumed "NO")

Yes!!

Way to go :D

congratulations. I heard back from only 2 schools out of 6. Long waiting game.......... And even the school I got into is releasing their financial aid in late March.. bah

Thanks everyone!!

Counterpointer--

I was fortunate to apply to schools that notify applicants pretty quickly, this was by coincidence. 

The first time I applied some schools took 3-4 months to respond. Glad I didn't have to go through that again!

Way to go! I think I was in the same boat as you - applied, struck out, took a couple years to really figure out what I wanted and prepared a strong application - it always seems to work out if you really want it.

I've reached the point where it's acceptable to freak out. I've received 2 wait list notifications and no positive acceptances thus far. Should I be worrying? Is it still early? 

Historical Musicology

APPLIED: 7

ACCEPTED: 0/7 [4 schools pending]

INTERVIEWS: 2/7 

WAITLIST2/7 Princeton

REJECTED: 1/7 Northwestern

I've reached the point where it's acceptable to freak out. I've received 2 wait list notifications and no positive acceptances thus far. Should I be worrying? Is it still early? 

Historical Musicology

WAITLIST2/7 Princeton

It is still early, depending on the institution, I guess. Of the 6 school to which I applied, I still have to hear from 4. I know that I am out of two of them because acceptance results were posted here, two weeks ago. The other two I have no news, but according to previous years, it should not take much longer until they contact the accepted students. 

In my mind, if we do not hear from grad schools until mid-March, it is better to assume we will receive a rejection notification. Sometimes it happens that some schools notify accepted students very late (late March, early April) either because it is their policy or because it takes time to figure out the budget. This particular aspect is particularly pertinent for state universities.

Historical Musicology

WAITLIST2/7 Princeton

I think you're probably still ok - I'm still waiting on 4, and have received 1 acceptance and 1 rejection thus far. I think we really should be hearing this week or next week!! Wishing you all the best of luck!

Way to go! I think I was in the same boat as you - applied, struck out, took a couple years to really figure out what I wanted and prepared a strong application - it always seems to work out if you really want it.

Thanks! I remember being on this forum 2 years ago talking to you, feels great to not walk out empty handed this time around. Hope your studies are going well at Northwestern  :)

Historical Musicology

WAITLIST2/7 Princeton

The fact that you have 2 wait list notices is good news. Better than ALL rejections, right? Also, some schools take way to long to notify applicants, others are very quick about it. It seems that most schools take awhile, so don't freak out. I know, easier said than done! Good luck to you  :)

The fact that you have 2 wait list notices is good news. Better than ALL rejections, right? Also, some schools take way to long to notify applicants, others are very quick about it. It seems that most schools take awhile, so don't freak out. I know, easier said than done! Good luck to you  :)

Yeah.. waitlist on princeton is still pretty impressive. There must be a school that wants you!

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. Just a few moments after I wrote that post, I received an acceptance phone call! So happy about NYU--the faculty are wonderful, the fellowship package is extremely generous, it's part of a consortium that allows for studying at Columbia, NYU, CUNY, Princeton, etc., and it's in Manhattan. Hoping that each of you gets a call from your dream school soon. 

Historical Musicology

APPLIED: 7 - Boston University, CUNY, Duke, Princeton, Northwestern, NYU, Rutgers

ACCEPTED: 1/7 - NYU

WAITLIST: 2/7 CUNY, Princeton

REJECTED: 2/6 - Northwestern

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. Just a few moments after I wrote that post, I received an acceptance phone call! So happy about NYU--the faculty are wonderful, the fellowship package is extremely generous, it's part of a consortium that allows for studying at Columbia, NYU, CUNY, Princeton, etc., and it's in Manhattan. Hoping that each of you gets a call from your dream school soon. 

Congratulations! I'm happy to hear that something worked out for you. Not getting in anywhere was my biggest fear.

Historical Musicology

APPLIED: 7 - Boston University, CUNY, Duke, Princeton, Northwestern, NYU, Rutgers

ACCEPTED: 1/7 - NYU

WAITLIST: 2/7 CUNY, Princeton

REJECTED: 2/6 - Northwestern

Congratulations!!!  :)

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet (any program)? It's the last school for me and the wait is killing me...

Ugh same I haven't heard anything....

Also I'm sort of desperately waiting to hear from SUNY Stony Brook about their History/Theory Master's. I feel like I have a great shot of getting in and on their website they mention that results come out in mid-February... but I haven't heard anything yet. Have any of you guys seen or heard anything? Nothing music-related from Stony Brook has popped up from 2015 on the results list so far.

Also I'm sort of desperately waiting to hear from SUNY Stony Brook about their History/Theory Master's. I feel like I have a great shot of getting in and on their website they mention that results come out in mid-February... but I haven't heard anything yet. Have any of you guys seen or heard anything? Nothing music-related from Stony Brook has popped up from 2015 on the results list so far.

I THINK someone I spoke to in an interview mentioned they had already been accepted to SUNY Stony Brook, but that might have been ethno. This was over a month ago and I am not too certain.

Ugh same I haven't heard anything....

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet (any program)? It's the last school for me and the wait is killing me...

The year I applied, Columbia was pretty late in contacting people, so don't give up hope! 

The year I applied, Columbia was pretty late in contacting people, so don't give up hope! 

I think Columbia has contacted their admitted composition applicants. I received the unofficial admission email yesterday.

Edited by vivosvoco

So it's looking like Harvard has sent out rejections to other programs within the GSAS. I checked my status and it still says "submitted" -- is this the case for everyone who applied but hasn't heard from them? 

Even though I know I've been rejected, I still want the official rejection so I can accept my top offer and turn down the others! 

Nothing music-related from Stony Brook has popped up from 2015 on the results list so far.

I checked few minutes ago and I saw that someone posted an acceptance on the results list on Feb. 27. The person received the notification by phone on Feb, 24.

Harvard rejections ARE up. I missed the small "a decision has been made" link. 

I never thought I'd be so excited for a rejection! I'm accepting my top choice now  :D  :D  :D  :D

Congratulations! I almost wish that all my wait lists were rejections, so that I can accept one of my offers without any doubts. But this way, I wonder if something better may open up if I just remain patient... I am so ready to figure out where I will end up!!!

HI All 

New to the forum, but wanted to post my current results and see if anyone has opinions on my schools left. As of right now, here's the breakdown:

No's - UC-Berkeley, Eastman

Yes - Oregon

No decision yet - CCM, UPENN, USC

I had an interview at CCM that I thought went really well, and a follow-up email with the faculty that seemed positive. I know some people have posted that UPENN did interviews, but I haven't gotten a rejection yet, so I'm hoping that means they're waiting to see who accepts and I may have a shot still. The silence from USC is disheartening, but still, no new is good news.

I contacted Princeton to inquire about my status on the wait list and received a reply saying that the people on the wait list are not in any particular order. What is that about? Is their wait list really just a formality, since no one ever declines their offer?