Fall 2015 applicants

Catria

RedViper, it depends -- they do informal Skype chats with some applicants, but other people get in without being interviewed. All applicants who get in will be invited to a campus visit in February, I believe. 

Beatrice, let me know if you have any questions about Oxford or Stanford! I'd be happy to help. 

Well, I have a question in fact. If admitted in Oxford's MSt (+achieving decent grades in it), should I expect admission in the BPhil?

Thank you, dear Melian4.

Well, I have a question in fact. If admitted in Oxford's MSt (+achieving decent grades in it), should I expect admission in the BPhil?

Thank you, dear Melian4.

From my understanding, people usually do either the MSt or the BPhil and then move on to a DPhil. The difference between the MSt and the BPhil is that the former is a one year specialized degree in ancient philosophy, the latter a two year philosophy program with a possible concentration in ancient philosophy. So no, you would not do an MSt followed by a BPhil.

As for DPhil admissions, I think they hover around 16% these days, so while having a MSt from Oxford may help, it won't automatically guarantee you a spot in the doctoral program. 

I hope this helps! I should clarify that I am a classical archaeologist, not a philosopher, so my knowledge of the program is rudimentary at best. 

There was a request for more info on today's Toronto admits on the results pg: 

- GRE: high 90th percentile

- GPA: undergrad (not classics): high 3.9s; grad (classical languages): 4.0

- national fellowship; presented at 4 conferences and one invited talk; teaching/tutoring experience; international research; 2 archaeology dig seasons

Thanks for the info AH2015. I think that not everybody who is using the search results page posts on the forums, otherwise we would have more people on this page.

Anyway, hope you all are doing well with the waiting process. 

There was a request for more info on today's Toronto admits on the results pg: 

- GRE: high 90th percentile

- GPA: undergrad (not classics): high 3.9s; grad (classical languages): 4.0

- national fellowship; presented at 4 conferences and one invited talk; teaching/tutoring experience; international research; 2 archaeology dig seasons

Hi AH2015! If you don't mind me asking, who are you hoping to work with at ISAW? 

From my understanding, people usually do either the MSt or the BPhil and then move on to a DPhil. The difference between the MSt and the BPhil is that the former is a one year specialized degree in ancient philosophy, the latter a two year philosophy program with a possible concentration in ancient philosophy. So no, you would not do an MSt followed by a BPhil.

As for DPhil admissions, I think they hover around 16% these days, so while having a MSt from Oxford may help, it won't automatically guarantee you a spot in the doctoral program. 

I hope this helps! I should clarify that I am a classical archaeologist, not a philosopher, so my knowledge of the program is rudimentary at best. 

THANKS! I was talking about the DPhil, my bad. 

Total silence.... but still not nervous: it's too early for Humanities!

On the contrary, my fianceé has already been accepted in Texas at Austin and Warwick, and waitlisted in Princeton (PhD in Pure Mathematics).

Edited by Beatrice Blumenstrauss

Total silence.... but still not nervous: it's too early for Humanities!

On the contrary, my fianceé has already been accepted in Texas at Austin and Warwick, and waitlisted in Princeton (PhD in Pure Mathematics).

You're right, it is still too early! But I so dearly wish it wasn't.

Congratulations to your fiancée! That's wonderful! I've heard the Princeton Pure Mathematics PhD is especially competitive this year.

Edited by birchleaf

You're right, it is still too early! But I so dearly wish it wasn't.

Congratulations to your fiancée! That's wonderful! I've heard the Princeton Pure Mathematics PhD is especially competitive this year.

Congratulations for him; a burden of pressure for me.

But yes, we're all happy :)

I share a thought: in Gradcafe's admissions results there are A LOT (four) of acceptances from the University of Toronto. Should I infer from it that I have been rejected/waitlisted?

All waiting and no play makes Beatrice an obsessive chart-maker.

Red: day of first rejection in 2014       -(Gradcafé results)-       Green: day of first acceptance in 2014

Berkeley

17 Jan

3 Feb

Brown

7 Feb

17 Mar

UChicago

3 Feb

1 Mar

Harvard

26 Feb

8 Mar

NYU

14 Feb

6 Mar

Stanford

27 Jan

31 Jan

Texas at Austin -> Beware: sometimes they DO NOT send e-mail with rejection

31 Jan

19 Fed

UToronto

8 Feb

27 Feb

Yale

21 Feb

11 Mar

Thanks for the data Beatrice! That was pretty informative. Also, it's always nice to keep oneself busy, I guess.

As Melian4 mentioned earlier, Stanford results should be coming out soon. I also saw that some posted the results from UCLA, though I didn't apply there.

Yeah, I'm trying to find ways to distract myself too. :C

Just for fun, and to pass the time, I was curious as to how you all decided on your usernames for this Forum?

Mine's from the character of Oberyn Martell from the TV series "Game of Thrones." How did you all get yours?