Fall 2015 applicants

Catria

Hope you guys get some good news! I saw that somebody else posted that they had an interview with Stanford on January 28th. So it looks increasingly like I won't get an offer from there either. Beatrice, I think you are waiting for a result from Stanford as well? If you don't mind my asking, how did your interview go?

In fact, I had two interviews. One with the "Greek side" and one with the "Latin side". I think both were almost perfect. However, since my profile is stronger in Greek, I found myself more comfortable on that interview.

The questions were standard: general presentation, why Stanford, background. I dedicated extra time to explain them that in my country the Classics degree and PhD are nonexistent: Classics is a branch of Literature here. So this explains why I come from Philosophy, why my transcript is not full of Classics' courses and why I am seeking to be a classicist. As a result, my interview was quite atypical.

But wait.

How can an interview go wrong? What symbols or attitudes can let you know that it all went the wrong way? Cause maybe I am here all happy and jumping around while I blew it all like a drunken princess.

Me too... but we must not give up! In fact, let's wait until the end of this day to give up (maybe they are calling one candidate at a time).

Chicago, come to us.

When I looked at last year I saw that they generally sent out acceptances in February and rejections in March, all via email. One can hope that perhaps things are still being sent out.

When I looked at last year I saw that they generally sent out acceptances in February and rejections in March, all via email. One can hope that perhaps things are still being sent out.

Of course.

In fact, my policy is to hope until an e-mail with a rejection is sent (I am an empiricist). That's why I did not change my signature at all.

By the way, something that can help for future generations of classicists (?): Stanford's faculty particularly stressed the quality of my writing sample. My GRE grades are not fantastic (stupid math, stupid test, stupid ETS, stupid earplugs, stupid weird words, stupid essay about nonsense), but they did not care much. Ergo, if you have to decide between learning more math/words or polishing your WS, focus on the WS.

Edited by Beatrice Blumenstrauss

Basically I am just frustrated with waiting. I'm not a naturally impatient person, but I hate not being able to make real plans for the year because I don't know where I'll be! Blah. :(

Well, what you can do is basically improve things that any program would welcome. For example, I am planning to improve my German and my Latin in the subsequent months. And for the coming weeks I have planned something to avoid frustration: I'll travel to the public library to end my thesis there. If I stay here at home, I'll live nervous and unproductive, hitting the F5 like a robot.

We can do this a little bit less stressing. We just have to try...

I heard from someone at Yale that they were emailing shortlisted candidates... But I haven't seen anything on the results page. Think I should consider myself rejected? Also, does not receiving an invite at somewhere like penn or mich mean the same?

Also... Hi! No longer a lurker haha

I heard from someone at Yale that they were emailing shortlisted candidates... But I haven't seen anything on the results page. Think I should consider myself rejected? Also, does not receiving an invite at somewhere like penn or mich mean the same?

Also... Hi! No longer a lurker haha

Hi! If Yale is indeed emailing short-listed candidates, it is possible that these won't appear on the results page. For example, one person didn't post about his or her Stanford interview until January 28th, even though he got the interview request on January 23rd. 

But I wouldn't consider myself rejected until I either receive the actual rejection notice, or I see someone post an acceptance or interview offer on the results page. 

As of right now, nobody has posted anything about Yale yet,so I am still holding out hope. Hopefully if someone does get some information from Yale, they will post something on the results page. 

I've seen some late acceptances reported for a number of schools (late March even) so I am just going to try and distract myself for the next 6 weeks and hope something comes to fruition!

Also hello kedua11, welcome to the board!

Here to confirm Yale suspicions. They have emailed individuals to set up interviews. Second hand, but reliable, information from one of the lucky few.

Thanks for the info! I saw on the results search page that someone posted an interview offer from Brown for ancient history. My list of schools are growing shorter....

Hi everyone, just thought I would post that I was selected for an interview at ISAW next week (February 4). So, ISAW is currently sending out requests. Someone else posted that they had received an interview request also, over in an Art History thread.

Hi everyone, just thought I would post that I was selected for an interview at ISAW next week (February 4). So, ISAW is currently sending out requests. Someone else posted that they had received an interview request also, over in an Art History thread.

Question: should I identify ISAW with NYU Classics or not?

Yeah, that might sound like a good idea. This website is a useful tool, in that we can keep track of how the admission process is going. But on the other hand, since other people are hearing back from schools, it's stressful for the rest of us who haven't heard back anything to think about the implications.  :(

But yeah, try to stay positive!

Has anyone heard from Brown, Princeton, Yale yet?

Waiting to hear back from brown and princeton, they should release next week or after going off historic results

Somebody actually posted an interview offer from Brown's ancient history program, so I was planning to take Brown off my list, although I applied to their philology program.

Unless these two programs recruit separately, does anyone know about this?

Can't wait for the weekend. At least then I can take a break from constantly checking the search results  :wacko: