Fall 2015 applicants

Catria

Stanford e-mailed me to arrange an interview.

I am terrified right now: ruining an interview sounds worse than being rejected, don't you think?

That's great news Beatrice! You are one step closer than any of us, I would say.  Were you the one who posted the result on the search page?

Are you applying to their Ancient Philosophy program, or something else? In any case, I didn't hear anything back and I am applying to their Department's Language and Literature program. So I guess I can take Stanford off my list too.

But I'm sure you'll do fine!

Omg Beatrice that's great!!! Don't freak out about the interview, be yourself and have questions to ask at the end. Also don't go on the boards too much and get freaked out about what you should or shouldn't say. You will do wonderfully and you will charm their socks off!!! Let us know how it goes!

That's great news Beatrice! You are one step closer than any of us, I would say.  Were you the one who posted the result on the search page?

Are you applying to their Ancient Philosophy program, or something else? In any case, I didn't hear anything back and I am applying to their Department's Language and Literature program. So I guess I can take Stanford off my list too.

But I'm sure you'll do fine!

Yes, I was the one who posted and yes, I applied to the AP program, but I do not know if they send all the interview requests at the same time. Maybe they cover the fixed number of applicants one program at a time.

Omg Beatrice that's great!!! Don't freak out about the interview, be yourself and have questions to ask at the end. Also don't go on the boards too much and get freaked out about what you should or shouldn't say. You will do wonderfully and you will charm their socks off!!! Let us know how it goes!

Thank you!!! But being nervous + trying to think too much too fast + speaking in English will be quite a challenge for me.

I'll try hard not to appear as a stuttering Jennifer Lopez after a stroke.

Did anyone observe a collapse in the classics applicant pool? I know the rest of humanities experienced a decrease in applicant numbers this year...

Hi Catria. This is my first year on these forums, so how does one keep track of the number of Classics applicants this year? I don't know how many people are applying this year, or last year. So how did you know that applicants are decreasing for Classics, or the humanities in general? What sort of stuff did you look at to get a sense of the number of people in the applicant pool?

Sorry, I really don't know about these things!

Yeah, there was speculation on the Lit and Rhet/Comp forum that decreased GradCafe activity in their fields could mean fewer applicants overall.  That may be what Catria is referring to, or part of it.  But I don't think anyone really knows aside from the people on adcoms, and even they only know the trends for their individual programs.

I think that the decreased GradCafe activity comes from the reputation that GradCafe has. I think that people are told that the search function and the forums on this website are filled with fear, anger and just negative energy from users in general. I know I was warned about this, and I think because of this reputation applicants aren't really frequenting this website anymore.

May I just say that my GradCafe experience so far has been nothing but positive.  :)

I think you are right too Petros, no one really knows the number of applicants this year. Maybe there are more applicants, maybe there are less. As for myself, still waiting to hear some positive news. Since Stanford and Penn are sending out interview requests, and I haven't got any, I guess I can take two out of my lists of 12 schools. Fingers crossed for the rest!

Hope you all are having a good weekend. 

As for myself, still waiting to hear some positive news. Since Stanford and Penn are sending out interview requests, and I haven't got any, I guess I can take two out of my lists of 12 schools. Fingers crossed for the rest!

I believe the Penn interview was only for Ancient History PhD, which we have established is separate from the AAMW program. Don't give up too early! It's only January :)

Yeah, there was speculation on the Lit and Rhet/Comp forum that decreased GradCafe activity in their fields could mean fewer applicants overall.  That may be what Catria is referring to, or part of it.  But I don't think anyone really knows aside from the people on adcoms, and even they only know the trends for their individual programs.

Information for one program is better than no information at all...

Although Daily Nous is a website dedicated to philosophy, since philosophy is an area that is at least somewhat relevant to classics, I think it is relevant for our purposes to post the link to some external source that, under the cover of anonymity, reported a drop in applications for the very cycle we're applying for.

http://dailynous.com/2014/12/03/drop-in-graduate-applications/

Congratulations for him; a burden of pressure for me.

But yes, we're all happy :)

I share a thought: in Gradcafe's admissions results there are A LOT (four) of acceptances from the University of Toronto. Should I infer from it that I have been rejected/waitlisted?

I talked to UofT - they've accepted about 15 people at this point for both the Ph.D. and M.A. programs.

I think that the decreased GradCafe activity comes from the reputation that GradCafe has. I think that people are told that the search function and the forums on this website are filled with fear, anger and just negative energy from users in general. I know I was warned about this, and I think because of this reputation applicants aren't really frequenting this website anymore.

May I just say that my GradCafe experience so far has been nothing but positive.  :)

I think you are right too Petros, no one really knows the number of applicants this year. Maybe there are more applicants, maybe there are less. As for myself, still waiting to hear some positive news. Since Stanford and Penn are sending out interview requests, and I haven't got any, I guess I can take two out of my lists of 12 schools. Fingers crossed for the rest!

One would guess that such a reputation wasn't earned in a day...

You know what is great?

It is great to arrange a telephone conversation with a world-class scholar of your field only to discover that, when you pick up your phone, instead of hearing the tone needed to answer a phone call you hear a radio of folk music.

I love my third world problems.

You know what is great?

It is great to arrange a telephone conversation with a world-class scholar of your field only to discover that, when you pick up your phone, instead of hearing the tone needed to answer a phone call you hear a radio of folk music.

I love my third world problems.

Lol, good luck Beatrice! I'm sure you'll do just fine.  :)

One would guess that such a reputation wasn't earned in a day...

Catria, I don't know how that reputation would have come about. I'm only just repeating what I heard, which to be fair turned out to be not a completely accurate representation of my experience here.

That being said, I do wish more applicants would use websites like this. That way we can hear about different people's experiences and expectations with their applications. Just from looking at the search function, it would appear that there are applicants for Classics this year who are not using the forums here. 

But I have also heard second hand information, from people who are already attending, that admissions to Classics is getting more competitive simply because the number of applicants have been increasing so far.

Just my two cents. Hope you all are doing well. The wait is starting to grind on me.  :(  Ugh, can't let it get to me.

I wonder if Brown's anthropology department is at all linked to Classics? Someone reported that Brown has made its decisions but they won't go out until next week due to the impending blizzard. In any case, it's interesting to think about.

Two more interview invites from Michigan's IPGRH program went on the results today.  As an IPCAA applicant, I hope those two aren't too closely connected.

Birchleaf, I hope schools don't get delayed because of the storm!  Everything is done online now, and it's just mean to keep us waiting!!

Edited by NonSumNonCuro

I wonder if Brown's anthropology department is at all linked to Classics? Someone reported that Brown has made its decisions but they won't go out until next week due to the impending blizzard. In any case, it's interesting to think about.

If you look at the search results for Brown Classics, the interview offer times for 2014 and 2013 are both listed as February 7th. And in 2012 and interview offer was posted on February 11th. So if that pattern continues to hold for this year, it looks like Brown will start sending out correspondence in the first week of February. Just my two cents.  :)

And I don't think Brown's Anthropology Department is related to Classics. And if any of you are in the North East USA, be safe!

I see a Chicago and UCB posting on the results board! I was hoping for Chicago myself. Ah well!

Me too... but we must not give up! In fact, let's wait until the end of this day to give up (maybe they are calling one candidate at a time).

Chicago, come to us.

Me too... but we must not give up! In fact, let's wait until the end of this day to give up (maybe they are calling one candidate at a time).

Chicago, come to us.

Hope you guys get some good news! I saw that somebody else posted that they had an interview with Stanford on January 28th. So it looks increasingly like I won't get an offer from there either. Beatrice, I think you are waiting for a result from Stanford as well? If you don't mind my asking, how did your interview go?