Fall 2015 applicants

Catria

I wonder if Brown's anthropology department is at all linked to Classics? Someone reported that Brown has made its decisions but they won't go out until next week due to the impending blizzard. In any case, it's interesting to think about.

Thanks! Do you know who reported this, and whether they were referring to the Classics program?

It's in the anthro board somewhere. I bounce between anthro, history, and classics just because I applied to archaeology programs and I want to see if I can find anyone who has reported results!

Speaking of 20 questions / diffusing stress, here's a silly question: if you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

For me it would definitely be grapes. They're great alone, but also frozen, and also made into wine. ;)

Somebody actually posted an interview offer from Brown's ancient history program, so I was planning to take Brown off my list, although I applied to their philology program.

Unless these two programs recruit separately, does anyone know about this?

Can't wait for the weekend. At least then I can take a break from constantly checking the search results  :wacko:

Also, does anyone on these forums have any info on Brown's Classics department, since someone has already posted the results for their ancient history program.

Also, does anyone on these forums have any info on Brown's Classics department, since someone has already posted the results for their ancient history program.

I haven't heard anything from anyone in my department! I also applied there so if/ when I do hear anything back (God willing!) I'll be sure to post it ASAP!

I haven't heard anything from anyone in my department! I also applied there so if/ when I do hear anything back (God willing!) I'll be sure to post it ASAP!

I haven't heard from Brown either. I applied for ancient history but through the Classics dept. (There's also the option to apply through the History dept). I assumed that the classics-track ancient history acceptances would come out with the classics acceptances, but that's just a hunch. My Brown application was a bit of a mess (Dec. 1 killed me), so my expectations are a bit low for that program.

HI!  I just found this forum a couple days ago and I totally wish I had earlier.  More importantly my one food would be Ben & Jerry's half baked ice cream...but probably only because it has been my stress food these last couple weeks waiting. 

Hi ruchudoo! Welcome to the boards!

Okay, time for next question: if you had to replace one of your hands with an object, what would it be and why?

For me it would definitely be a cheese-grater. It's useful and also can be used in dangerous situations. :)

Where is this information coming from? I was told they would email between this week and the next.

I know personally one of the lucky few who are flying over in a week or so. I don't know if this means all invitations have gone out, but I feel like Yale historically lumps notifications? Not sure.

And I'm with you on the cheesecake.

Hi ruchudoo! Welcome to the boards!

Okay, time for next question: if you had to replace one of your hands with an object, what would it be and why?

For me it would definitely be a cheese-grater. It's useful and also can be used in dangerous situations. :)

That's an easy question. My iPhone, obviously. It never leaves my hand anyway. 

Also, TGIF! At least I won't have to obsessively check my email during the weekend. So I can take a break a from waiting!

Happy Weekend y'all!  :lol:

Must consider Yale and Chicago as lost? Buuuuuu!

Well, let's wait for Classical Studies at Columbia <3 <3 <3

You know, this process would be a lot better if we had some kind of Bingo cards.

I personally would consider Brown as lost too, since someone has already received an interview offer from their ancient History program, which I believe is part of their Classics Department. 

I personally would consider Brown as lost too, since someone has already received an interview offer from their ancient History program, which I believe is part of their Classics Department. 

Has this person posted anything in the forums?

Edited by Marcus Hollerback

Has this person posted anything in the forums?

No, I just saw the post in the results page. There are always more people posting in the results page than there are people in the Forums. So not everybody who posts results also posts stuff in the Forum. 

Yes, you're right. Three in a row.

I insist on the Bingo thing: application is quite like betting.

No, I just saw the post in the results page. There are always more people posting in the results page than there are people in the Forums. So not everybody who posts results also posts stuff in the Forum. 

It just seems a little odd that no one has posted on the results page about getting invited to prospective student weekend.

It just seems a little odd that no one has posted on the results page about getting invited to prospective student weekend.

Well, the Penn interview offers were sent out on January 21st and 22nd. But they weren't posted on the results page until January 29th. So, maybe the people who received the offers forgot to post them on time. Or they are busy with something else at the moment. 

The one who posted about Brown was interviewed, which is different from accepted (ex. me and Stanford). Yet, when candidates are interviewed is because the committee has already made the decisions (interviewed candidates become accepted or waitlisted, but rarely rejected).

Or maybe you are a TERRIFIC candidate and nobody needs to make you an interview. Sounds rare, though.

Edited by Beatrice Blumenstrauss

The one who posted about Brown was interviewed, which is different from accepted (ex. me and Stanford). Yet, when candidates are interviewed is because the committee has already made the decisions (interviewed candidates become accepted or waitlisted, but rarely rejected).

Or maybe you are a TERRIFIC candidate and nobody needs to make you an interview. Sounds rare, though.

As far as I know, what they do at Brown is they make a long list of potential candidates and then skim that list. These days, they should still be in the long list phase of the process. Which is why I'm a little surprised. But no, I didn't think I was so good I wouldn't get an interview. I don't really think that ever happens.

Edited by Marcus Hollerback

As far as I know, what they do at Brown is they make a long list of potential candidates and then skim that list. These days, they should still be in the long list phase of the process. Which is why I'm a little surprised. But no, I didn't think I was so good I wouldn't get an interview. I don't really think that ever happens.

Hahaha, of course. But I like to keep that option in mind, 'cause hoping is free  ;)