Fall 2015 applicants

Catria

I've been stalking the anthropology boards for fun, to get my mind off my empty email inbox. My thesis advisor told me that I'm basically a wild card anywhere simply because I don't have a Master's yet, so I've already mentally prepared myself to not be accepted at my big-name schools.

Is there anyone else on here who is pursuing Classical Archaeology? I'm on mobile so I can't see the signatures / descriptions. Just to distract myself, what time period interests you the most? :)

Congratulations, Beatrice! May I ask what your main focus is? I'm primarily a Hellenist.

Well, I am a Platonist. I love everything signed by Plato: the letters, the dialogues, the agrapha dogmata (!).

However, my undergraduate thesis is focused on Republic, and specially on the causal relationship between poetic performance, psychological pathos and behavior. Having this relationship in mind, I blend the classical approach with a more philosophical one, integrating new elements taken from theory of emotions with heavy work on Plato's use of verbs, adjectives and participles.

Until two weeks ago, I always felt that I was a crazy latina with a taste for weird blends. Now I know I'm not alone.

Well, I am a Platonist. I love everything signed by Plato: the letters, the dialogues, the agrapha dogmata (!).

However, my undergraduate thesis is focused on Republic, and specially on the causal relationship between poetic performance, psychological pathos and behavior. Having this relationship in mind, I blend the classical approach with a more philosophical one, integrating new elements taken from theory of emotions with heavy work on Plato's use of verbs, adjectives and participles.

Until two weeks ago, I always felt that I was a crazy latina with a taste for weird blends. Now I know I'm not alone.

That is great! Have you been in touch with Professor Gill? I didn't sell myself as a philosopher, but I did some work on philosophy in undergrad.

Edited by Marcus Hollerback

Is there anyone else on here who is pursuing Classical Archaeology? I'm on mobile so I can't see the signatures / descriptions. Just to distract myself, what time period interests you the most? :)

I am!  I'm mostly applying to Classical Studies though.  I'm most interested in Etruscan archaeology, but also in Roman collecting and re-interpretation of Etruscan materials/culture.  Also Southern Italy's late Bronze Age contact with Greece.  Basically I love anything pre-Roman, even though Roman stuff is also completely fascinating.

To be honest, the thing I fear most about whatever interviews I might get is the question about what I'm interested in.  It's all awesome.  How on earth can I be concise about a field that's so interesting in various ways??

What are your interests?

I am! I'm mostly applying to Classical Studies though. I'm most interested in Etruscan archaeology, but also in Roman collecting and re-interpretation of Etruscan materials/culture. Also Southern Italy's late Bronze Age contact with Greece. Basically I love anything pre-Roman, even though Roman stuff is also completely fascinating.

To be honest, the thing I fear most about whatever interviews I might get is the question about what I'm interested in. It's all awesome. How on earth can I be concise about a field that's so interesting in various ways??

What are your interests?

I agree with you! The concept of having to explain my interests is terrifying though that's silly in and of itself.

I'm interested in the development of ethnicity, nationality, and culture in the Aegean! I'm currently focused on the western coast of Anatolia but it's fairly new for me so I'm applying it to different fields as well. I also study Scandinavian studies and had the privilege of being on a Viking excavation last summer so I studied the beginning of trade and manufacturing there. It was amazing!

I'm also interested in migration and how it shows up in the archaeological record. I've studied migration a lot in a modern context so I'm currently trying to apply it to the Aegean. Also digital humanities. Also a lot of things and this text box is small.

I fear (however completely unlikely) someone telling me that what I'm interested in is just alright. Or not interesting enough. I think being a first generation college student does that to you!

That is great! Have you been in touch with Professor Gill? I didn't sell myself as a philosopher, but I did some work on philosophy in undergrad.

Oh, I think nobody sells himself as a philosopher... I always say that I have a "licenciatura" (a five year degree) in Philosophy.

And no, I only have read some few things of Prof. Gill. Book chapters mostly.

What about you, Marcus?

I'm interested in the development of ethnicity, nationality, and culture in the Aegean! I'm currently focused on the western coast of Anatolia but it's fairly new for me so I'm applying it to different fields as well. I also study Scandinavian studies and had the privilege of being on a Viking excavation last summer so I studied the beginning of trade and manufacturing there. It was amazing!

A viking excavation would be so cool!  Also nationality in the Aegean is where its at.  I love identity studies and looking at how people dealt with new ideas/art forms...or old ones with new interest.

I fear (however completely unlikely) someone telling me that what I'm interested in is just alright. Or not interesting enough. I think being a first generation college student does that to you!

I think the same thing!  Or that I won't have a good enough idea of where I want my thesis to go and they'll just laugh and be like no we don't want to babysit you while you come up with a thesis BYE.  But that's crazy, probably.  

[Ok, now I have updated my signature. So happy..... BUT still waiting what will happen with my fianceé (waitlisted at Stanford).]

Wow Beatrice, congratulations! That's awesome! When did you get your notice of admission? 

Oh, I think nobody sells himself as a philosopher... I always say that I have a "licenciatura" (a five year degree) in Philosophy.

And no, I only have read some few things of Prof. Gill. Book chapters mostly.

What about you, Marcus?

I have a BA and an MA, both in Classical Philology and Ancient History, from a European university. I also have a Master's in Classics from a U.S. institution. My main focus lies in Archaic and Classical Greek poetry!

Must consider Yale and Chicago as lost? Buuuuuu!

Well, let's wait for Classical Studies at Columbia <3 <3 <3

You know, this process would be a lot better if we had some kind of Bingo cards.

Hi all! Figured it was time to de-lurk and finally join all of you lovely people.

I've heard through the grape vine that Columbia's Classical Studies admissions committee has met (though I have no idea if they've made any decisions or have started sending out any interview requests/acceptances - I didn't apply to that program myself!).

Congrats Beatrice!

And birchleaf - I am doing classical archaeology too!  
So far I have only been rejected from AHMA, but as I have heard nothing from Stanford I imagine that is coming too.  As of now I am not feeling too confident about getting into a PhD program this round, but I'm also right out of undergrad so I've applied to some MAs too!

Also super jealous that you have dug at a viking site! I've been in Sweden a number of time this last year because my boyfriend lives there and I keep tearing him I'll switch from Etruscan archaeology to Viking  :D

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Also super jealous that you have dug at a viking site! I've been in Sweden a number of time this last year because my boyfriend lives there and I keep tearing him I'll switch from Etruscan archaeology to Viking  :D

Never leave Etruscan archaeology!  It's the best!!  Where are you applying?

I personally would consider Brown as lost too, since someone has already received an interview offer from their ancient History program, which I believe is part of their Classics Department.

I know it's the weekend, and we should be relaxing, but here's my over analysis of the week: the person who reported an interview with brown also reported being an international student. I'm not sure if that changes anything, I have seen some posts about internationals having interviews instead of / before being invited to a prospective weekend, but not necessarily for this discipline.

Beatrice, do you have any experience with this? Any differences in treatment / procedure as an international student? (If I remember correctly you are!)

Also super jealous that you have dug at a viking site! I've been in Sweden a number of time this last year because my boyfriend lives there and I keep tearing him I'll switch from Etruscan archaeology to Viking :D

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

I used to live in Sweden, actually! What a small world! What are you interested in, with Etruscan archaeology?

I know it's the weekend, and we should be relaxing, but here's my over analysis of the week: the person who reported an interview with brown also reported being an international student. I'm not sure if that changes anything, I have seen some posts about internationals having interviews instead of / before being invited to a prospective weekend, but not necessarily for this discipline.

Beatrice, do you have any experience with this? Any differences in treatment / procedure as an international student? (If I remember correctly you are!)

Totally. Internationals (IN) are usually treated differently. In some universities, they always make extensive interviews with IN (even before the second row of selections) in order to know the depth of the skills or to understand better the background that each has. Another example I have from mathematics is that UCLA accepts first the Americans and then the IN: since they know quite well how to rank American universities, they take less time doing the selection and reading the profiles.

Hi all! Figured it was time to de-lurk and finally join all of you lovely people.

I've heard through the grape vine that Columbia's Classical Studies admissions committee has met (though I have no idea if they've made any decisions or have started sending out any interview requests/acceptances - I didn't apply to that program myself!).

(1) Welcome to you, and (2) thanks for the data. I love Classical Studies' faculty and highly interdisciplinary degree: it's my third beloved place after Princeton and Stanford.

BTW you owe me some Hesiod!

I think he was referring to Hesiod saying that after they opened Pandora's box and subsequently managed to close it, the last thing left at the bottom of the box was hope (elpis)

BTW you owe me some Hesiod!

Hi Beatrice! Marcus is right. I meant that in the "works and days," the only thing that did not escape Pandora's box was hope (elipis.)

Also, will you be posting the date of your admission notice on the Forums or the Search Results page? I'm bracing for the coming week, when my first official correspondence I will get from the universities will likely be a rejection from Stanford, since acceptances have come out.  But I thought it would be informative to see how long the time is between the rejection notices and the acceptance notices from Stanford.

Whew, it looks like it will be a long week ahead! And I still have to wait to hear back from other universities.

Hi Beatrice! Marcus is right. I meant that in the "works and days," the only thing that did not escape Pandora's box was hope (elipis.)

Also, will you be posting the date of your admission notice on the Forums or the Search Results page? I'm bracing for the coming week, when my first official correspondence I will get from the universities will likely be a rejection from Stanford, since acceptances have come out.  But I thought it would be informative to see how long the time is between the rejection notices and the acceptance notices from Stanford.

Whew, it looks like it will be a long week ahead! And I still have to wait to hear back from other universities.

Oops! Never mind. I just checked my inbox! I didn't even know we had a message function on this site....

Anyways, hope y'all are having a good weekend!

I apologize if this is somewhere easy to find, but was it one of you all who was accepted to PAMW @Chicago? I was just wondering if they were in the habit of changing the status of applications on ApplyWeb. 

I think he was referring to Hesiod saying that after they opened Pandora's box and subsequently managed to close it, the last thing left at the bottom of the box was hope (elpis)

Oh! I was waiting for a lost papyri reference! Jajaja!

Oh, wait. I have a stupid question. Do you laugh like "hahahaha" in USA, don't you?