First Day of Class Is Tomorrow

Threeboysmom

I can't believe it's finally here. After all my research for programs, applications, preparing for the GRE, writing a SOP, submitting LOR's and waiting and waiting for a response. At times it felt as if my head would explode waiting and checking emails. Then I received a rejection letter and that rejection stung, but I didn't stop I kept going. Then one day I didn't even check my mail and my acceptance letter sat there waiting for me. Is this really happening to me because I can't believe that it's the night before graduate school. I know it's going to be a rough road but I'm looking forward to it.

So thankful I found this forum and could chat with others who understand my anxiety. Thanks!

Wishing all of you a wonderful year!

My first official day is tomorrow as well (I did have a 3 day orientation last week but didn't count that as actually starting yet). I already feel a little overwhelmed, but hopefully the excitement and "I can't believe I made it to this point" will keep me going as the semester gets tougher. Feels like it was just last week that my letter arrived in the mail. Good luck to you in your program!

For everyone starting today, how's the first day going?  I don't have class on Mondays, but I am in my office and trying to get some reading done along with some IRB applications.

I'm surprised that so many people start in August!  Our first day is September 2nd, but the first week is a "special" week that consists of orientation and our Introduction to Public Health course, that includes all of the various public health disciplines.  All other classes don't start until September 8th, which for me will be the 9th, since I don't have any classes Mondays.

I'm hanging out at the campus cafe right now, drinking some coffee. My classes start in a little while and I have my first work-meeting with a professor in a few minutes. I got here early to get good parking and finish up my FERPA training.

Yay I'm so excited!

Although I'm a little disappointed because my first class is actually an undergraduate prerequisite that I have to finish up...then later I get to attend an actual graduate level course.

I'm surprised that so many people start in August!  Our first day is September 2nd, but the first week is a "special" week that consists of orientation and our Introduction to Public Health course, that includes all of the various public health disciplines.  All other classes don't start until September 8th, which for me will be the 9th, since I don't have any classes Mondays.

I was surprised by this too! I talked to my American friends and it seems that US schools tend to work on two 16 week semesters per year (or three 10 week quarters) instead of a typical 12 or 13 week semester that Canadian schools follow! So, they have to start a little bit earlier in order to fit the 16 week semester in before Christmas break. For schools on quarters, they don't tend to start until late September / early October.

Edited by TakeruK

I was surprised by this too! I talked to my American friends and it seems that US schools tend to work on two 16 week semesters per year (or three 10 week quarters) instead of a typical 12 or 13 week semester that Canadian schools follow! So, they have to start a little bit earlier in order to fit the 16 week semester in before Christmas break. For schools on quarters, they don't tend to start until late September / early October.

Yes.... i graduated in early may (from semester based) and don't start until late september (quarter based!). Its been a long break!

Just got home. My first day went well. In my theories and techniques class I have a theory review paper due almost every week. In my other class I have an 8 page paper due soon so I have to solidify my topic by the end of the week. So I started some research today on that. My nervous energy is gone, now it's turn up time.