MA in bioarchaeology

ophelia3

• 1 year later...

Arizona State, from what I've heard, it quite well-regarded in bioarchaeology. But as for grad school experience, I've heard some less than stellar things, but it depends on what you're looking for. For ASU (and keep in mind this is second-hand) I've been told that it's just like many other big R1 programs - lots of students, really competitive within student population, not a lot of interaction with faculty. On the other hand, they are doing great research, have great facilities and graduating from there looks good. Just depends on what you're looking for :)

If you fancy coming to England then UCL has a great MSc in Bioarchaeology (I am just finishing it). It is a year as with all British masters programs. Here is a link to the program's site:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/masters/summary/msc-skeletal.htm

There are also programs at Durham, York, Bradford etc but the UCL one is awesome and being in London is great.

Ohio State is also very good for Bioarchaeology, but I dont know whether it offers a terminal masters.

Hope this helps a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

ASU thinks they are better than everyone else. There are a ton of great phycal/bioarc programs out there. Many places differ in what they specialize in. And then you have the frensic schools also. So best thing to do is go buy a book with anthropology rankings or send me a pm with specifics and I can help you more.

@anthropologygeek, I'm going to take a leap here, and I could be wrong...

You're resentful that you didn't get into ASU, that your dream school isn't as prestigious as ASU, or that the program you finished isn't as prestigious as ASU.

Welcome to the academy folks. Those at the top are happy that they're there, those who aren't wish they were. You think that its different than undergrad, that prestige doesn't matter much...but its worse.

http://savageminds.org/2010/04/21/who-needs-alumni-from-top-schools/

Savage Minds did a piece on it. Talking about how in the job market, you'd rather have someone from AK state than Yale, because the AK state kid is a better teacher, and more used to the realities of teaching. There is a serious caveat to that though. Take that teaching job at Ball State, and say goodbye to having the time resources to publish research...and last time I checked, most of us going to grad school are interested in actually doing academic work first, and being good teachers second, and doing random university crap last. It would be very mean, but one could chart high-impact publications in the discipline and see where they come from to prove the point.

Sure there are some awesome up-and-coming programs in places you wouldn't exactly expect...UCSD, UCI are great examples of public schools that have strong...but at the end of the day, its because of their faculty...who come from top schools. There's no way around it. Let's take UCI (socio-cultural) as an example. This is where the faculty did their PhDs:

Northwestern

Stanford

Stanford

Stanford

UCLA

Harvard

Harvard

UCLA

Wisconson

Stanford

Stanford

Stanford

Rice

UCLA/UCB

Columbia

Stanford

The upper crust of programs makes its presence known, and seem to create powerhouses themselves. Can someone name an up-and-coming department made of the kind of "blue collar" academics that the savageminds commenters discuss? I would like to see it and hope that its there...I'd like to be proven wrong, but I cant think of someone going to uchicago for a b.a. and then Idaho state for a phd. (though i can see it for a phd to prof position).

So my advice? Find the top program with your fit. FIT IS KEY (which is why buying a book with anthro rankings is pretty useless...what you want is the current research interests of the faculty you want to work with...and you really only need 2 strong matches). Then shoot for the stars. Landing on the moon isn't half bad.

Anthromind- No resentment. Actually applied for phd and got in with funding but went to a better school for my phd. Ever visited? They have an approved list of students you can meet with. If you go and find the unapproved list and talk to them they will tell you all.

• 3 months later...

I am another person looking for a good Masters program in bioarchaeology. I'm considering UT Knox and Eastern Carolina because of faculty research backgrounds. My undergrad is a little known public university, though it is the 2nd largest in GA now and building its reputation.

My preliminary, (basic and vague here) research interests are skeletal analysis for political economy; and a side interest in economic anthropology for comparative research.

I prefer a four-field school to attend and I want to boost school name recognition before applying to PhD programs. Will a Masters help bring me closer to being accepted at a dream (my) school for a PhD?

I welcome all suggestions.