Northeastern US: What clothes do you wear?

niocwacs

I know I may sound a little bit weird, but what I want to know is what you guys wear in places like Newark, DE. It's very close to Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington. As far as I read about the place the climate is quite soft, winters are close to no snow, there isn't much precipitation.

I'm interested in men's clothing only. Could anyone to take photographs of one's shoes, trousers, jackets, coats and other clothing? The more photos the better... :)

Its not my style, but I feel like LL Bean makes cloths for the Northeast. http://www.llbean.com If you go to their site and browse around their jackets they tend to be warm enough for most NE winters if you are closer to the mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, NY). When you get up into Maine and Vermont you would need things to be a little thicker.

I would browse their clothing lines to get a good idea.

I know I may sound a little bit weird, but what I want to know is what you guys wear in places like Newark, DE. It's very close to Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington. As far as I read about the place the climate is quite soft, winters are close to no snow, there isn't much precipitation.

Average snowfall seems to be about two feet per year. Not astounding, but still something to consider. Also keep in mind that just because it doesn't snow doesn't mean it isn't cold.

Well, I'm originally from the Urals where winters officially last for six month every year and temperatures fall to -35...-40C.

I just don't want to look like a black sheep in a new environment.

Many US retailers also sell online. I'd browse through, say, gap.com or jcrew.com (the former is more casual, the second more business/preppy attire) to get some idea what the styles are. Anyone care to nominate other, more popular, retailers of grad student threads?

Many US retailers also sell online. I'd browse through, say, gap.com or jcrew.com (the former is more casual, the second more business/preppy attire) to get some idea what the styles are. Anyone care to nominate other, more popular, retailers of grad student threads?

Grad student? Buffalo Exchange, Salvation Army, Good Will, Hand-Me-Downs, Using a Needle and Thread to Prolong the Life of Whatever You Already Have . . . given a typical stipend, I doubt if anyone will blame you if paying rent and buying food come before fashion.

The great thing about being a graduate student is that you are fully excused from looking like you are homeless most of the time. I second the goodwill suggestion, unless of course you are going into a more professional program.

LL Bean? Salvation Army & Good Will? lol... I am sure this person wants at least a hint of a social life ....

First of all, Newark is actually a pretty laid back place, and the need for Ralph Lauren and other brand names is not very high. It is very easy to bargain hunt due to the fact that their is a lot of people in the general area and many places to shop. I would look for stores such as Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, TJ Maxx... they have a lot of bargains. Also, their are outlets at Rehobeth Beach, about an hour from Newark, that have some cheaper stores.

LL Bean? Salvation Army & Good Will? lol... I am sure this person wants at least a hint of a social life ....

I've gotten $600-800 suits that looked like they'd been worn twice at Goodwill for $120. I've seen tabloid-level fashionistas hunting for styles at Buffalo Exchange. I didn't say you have to buy the raggediest stuff there. I meant that those are places you CAN find decent clothes on a stipend like mine that only leaves $300 a month after rent and bills.

Also, if you happen to be in LA, you can get clothes that were used on movie sets really cheap. There are a couple places in Hollywood and a big shop on Robertson that the production companies sell to. I got a pair of THICK leather biker boots for $30 there that were used on the set of Kalifornia (or some such post-apocalyptic Mad Max clone). They tend to have lots of suits and lots of unusual looking trendy-but-casual stuff you see on extras milling around in the backgrounds.

I've gotten $600-800 suits that looked like they'd been worn twice at Goodwill for $120. I've seen tabloid-level fashionistas hunting for styles at Buffalo Exchange. I didn't say you have to buy the raggediest stuff there. I meant that those are places you CAN find decent clothes on a stipend like mine that only leaves $300 a month after rent and bills.

This is all true, but the OP was asking for information on what the styles were, and Goodwill doesn't run a web site that really shows their offerings.

This is all true, but the OP was asking for information on what the styles were, and Goodwill doesn't run a web site that really shows their offerings.

Yeah. I'm an idiot anyway because I completely forgot that we were talking about the Northeast (although I actually consider Baltimore/DC to be more associated with the Midatlantic) and I was recommending stuff in LA. To be fair though, I don't think the OP was clear about whether she/he was after style or climate suggestions. Style varies so much anyway it's pretty much a lost cause to try and target something so generally. You can probably wear whatever's hot in Thailand and be alright. Maybe even start a new trend!

Yeah. I'm an idiot anyway because I completely forgot that we were talking about the Northeast (although I actually consider Baltimore/DC to be more associated with the Midatlantic) and I was recommending stuff in LA. To be fair though, I don't think the OP was clear about whether she/he was after style or climate suggestions. Style varies so much anyway it's pretty much a lost cause to try and target something so generally. You can probably wear whatever's hot in Thailand and be alright. Maybe even start a new trend!

True enough. I keep stopping back by and wondering if we've a) offered any useful info B) added to this poor person's confusion or c) are offering advice into the void by now anyway. oh well, amusing nonetheless.

True enough. I keep stopping back by and wondering if we've a) offered any useful info B) added to this poor person's confusion or c) are offering advice into the void by now anyway. oh well, amusing nonetheless.

At this point there's like four people left on the site anyway. Maybe next year's class of applicants can be amused by our meanderings. Unless the site mods archive all these chit-chatty threads for the new season. I'm just here because half the sites on the internet are blocked at my work. This one slipped through the cracks somehow.

You guys didn't really understand what I meant. The question is (among other aspects) can I go to classes wearing shorts when it's really hot? In my own country it would be pretty normal in southern parts while in northern parts it would be considered inappropriate even the temperatures there may be the same and you can feel them the same.

I've graduated from a uni which is deemed top-ranked here and I never cared at all about how I look cause I always knew there was nobody in charge to get me out for an appropriate look.

Can I wear jeans? Can I wear trainers? Can I wear T-shirts?

I think you are just going to have to see what other people in your classes are wearing first. I, personally, have no problems wearing shorts, sandals, etc. to class, cause hey, I just don't like being uncomfortable when it's hot.

Anyway, Sept. should be cool enough where you can wear pants and t-shirts and still be comfortable, and then when the sun comes out and the weather starts getting warm just see what everyone else does. But seriously, if DE is anything like the weather in New England, the sun will set in Oct. and you won't see it again for about a half a year. So you've got lots of time to ponder the question.

Jeans, trainers, t-shirts, are definitely acceptable ( unless you are in a business program where people tend to wear suits, and then I wouldn't know.) I wore all 3 of those to campus visits (when I visited the schools I was accepted to) and never once got a strange look or felt out of place.

You guys didn't really understand what I meant. The question is (among other aspects) can I go to classes wearing shorts when it's really hot? In my own country it would be pretty normal in southern parts while in northern parts it would be considered inappropriate even the temperatures there may be the same and you can feel them the same.

I've graduated from a uni which is deemed top-ranked here and I never cared at all about how I look cause I always knew there was nobody in charge to get me out for an appropriate look.

Can I wear jeans? Can I wear trainers? Can I wear T-shirts?

From Cambridge, MA: you can wear whatever you want, as long as you show up clothed.

Are you supposed not to wear same clothes two days in a row? How strict is this?

I'll re-wear blue jeans/slacks, but always with a different shirt. I don't think there's really a strict rule, but people may wonder where you spent the night that you weren't able to change outfits otherwise...

• 2 months later...

I'll re-wear blue jeans/slacks, but always with a different shirt. I don't think there's really a strict rule, but people may wonder where you spent the night that you weren't able to change outfits otherwise...

I'll second that. pants are easy to get away with multiple day (especially if you're like me and most of your pants are black of different styles). It's better to have some variety in shirts.

Re: the prior Q:

Unless you are in a specialized program that expects a particular clothing style, grad classes have flexibility in attire. But if you have a TA/RA of some sort, you should dress probably reasonably professionally. See what the more seasoned TAs at your U are wearing.

Are you supposed not to wear same clothes two days in a row? How strict is this?

Yea, please make sure to wear clean clothes every day. I'd rewear jeans or shorts a couple of days, but don't overdo it... Make sure to shower daily and not turn into my smelly office mate (seriously, the kid must shower on weekly or bi-weekly basis... grrr).

To an earlier question, all of the schools I've been in (Massachusetts and Michigan) have no problems with people wearing shorts. One of my profs in undergrad would wear shorts to all his classes.

Truly, it's your call. Personally, my vote is for "not being smelly," but there is--as I've learned through experience with my own former smelly office mate--no rule to that effect.