Canadian Scholarships (not bounded by gpa?)

imnotbatman

Hey everyone! I was taking a look at the major scholarships in Canada (CGS, OGS, NSERC etc) and it seems that gpa is a major component of the whether you are successful or not. 

1) Has anyone ever been successful at obtaining these scholarships with a sub-par gpa? (roughly 3.0-3.3?) 

2) Are there scholarships out there that weight research experience and publications more than gpa?

I'm a non-traditional student in that my bachelor's was sub 3.0 and my master's was 3.3 (but ranked top 20% in my program). I am currently in my M.A program and hoping to apply for scholarships but it seems that despite my research experience and publications (2 in peer-reviewed journals, 5 conference poster/presentations), I am still greatly hindered by the gpa requirements as they take account my undergrad gpa. 

Unfortunately the main driver of most entry level graduate fellowships, in Canada and elsewhere, is GPA. After getting into grad school, this is pretty much the only reason to try to maintain a high GPA. 

However, the NSERC PGS/CGS-D does indeed weigh research performance over GPA. The weight breakdown is 50% research achievement and potential, 30% academics and 20% community involvement. You can find this breakdown on the NSERC instructions page.

I would not let a 3.0-3.3 GPA stop me from applying to NSERC and OGS awards. I would say the competitive GPA (for NSERC CGS-D) is around a 3.6 and above, but you do have strong research experience, so this may balance out. I think if you can get your letter writers to address this in your LORs then it might help a lot. That is, if you get your letter writer to really emphasize your research skill and potential, it will make you a good candidate. 

So, I think it's still totally worth your time to apply to OGS and NSERC. I'll be realistic -- you are not going to be able to compete with people who have the same research experience and a 3.6+ GPA but you are still competitive enough overall to merit the effort in applying!!

Good luck :)

Unfortunately the main driver of most entry level graduate fellowships, in Canada and elsewhere, is GPA. After getting into grad school, this is pretty much the only reason to try to maintain a high GPA. 

However, the NSERC PGS/CGS-D does indeed weigh research performance over GPA. The weight breakdown is 50% research achievement and potential, 30% academics and 20% community involvement. You can find this breakdown on the NSERC instructions page.

I would not let a 3.0-3.3 GPA stop me from applying to NSERC and OGS awards. I would say the competitive GPA (for NSERC CGS-D) is around a 3.6 and above, but you do have strong research experience, so this may balance out. I think if you can get your letter writers to address this in your LORs then it might help a lot. That is, if you get your letter writer to really emphasize your research skill and potential, it will make you a good candidate. 

So, I think it's still totally worth your time to apply to OGS and NSERC. I'll be realistic -- you are not going to be able to compete with people who have the same research experience and a 3.6+ GPA but you are still competitive enough overall to merit the effort in applying!!

Good luck :)

Thank you so much for replying! That makes me feel a bit better and I'll talk to my supervisor. I just felt a bit silly before -going to them with my undergrad gpa and telling them I want to apply.

thanks again!

My first two years of my undergrad degree were abysmal mark-wise and it took me 5 years to finish the degree, which definitely prevented me from getting an NSERC for my MSc.  However, I worked hard and got lots of research/conference experience and ended up getting a PGS-D last May.  I'm proof that your marks won't always be a scarlet letter and you can balance the scale with other achievements.  Of course, marks weigh heavier for the MSc-level awards. 

You have nothing to lose from applying and will gain the very useful experience of writing a grant proposal.  If you don't apply, you have no chance!  Never feel silly or embarrassed about your marks and don't ever let that hold you back from any application.

Good luck

• 2 years later...

My CGPA was 3.6 at the time I applied. I have 77% average for my first year of full-time of study and a 90% average for my second year. Lots of research and community experience though. But I still feel like I have zero chance of getting this award. My grades are too "borderline" :(

I'm still waiting back to hear about the Vanier, but I was at least nominated by my school. I'd say my marks aren't super stellar. But the Vanier focuses moreso on leadership, so if you've done community work etc this may be a viable option for you.