Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

It sounds like it to me :) Considering what she said not too long ago about them not having reviewed applications yet, I think - and I hope im not just being too hopeful here - that they've still got quite a few to review. I'd be surprised if they've reviewed all the applications they've received in such a short period of time and made decisions. lol or at least I really hope not.  To me, that's sounds like they haven't reviewed yours yet.

I keep going back to that thought as well, but it just seems strange that any acceptances would have been sent out at all if not all applications had been reviewed. I agree with some of the other posters that they are likely doing rolling admissions which would make sense as to why they are still accepting any updates to CV's/Resumes.

I keep going back to that thought as well, but it just seems strange that any acceptances would have been sent out at all if not all applications had been reviewed. I agree with some of the other posters that they are likely doing rolling admissions which would make sense as to why they are still accepting any updates to CV's/Resumes.

What confuses me about rolling admissions is how will they control the number of acceptances? It doesn't make sense and the days are getting longer and longer

Don't feel defeated! This is technically the first week of when UofT projected their acceptances would roll out! 4 weeks to go! I really think there will be more acceptances for UofT, and we haven't even heard from Laurier yet! Keep your head up :)

Thanks. I really do appreciate the encouragement. I'm worried that if my grades weren't competitive enough for Windsor than I have no shot at Toronto and especially not Laurier. But, it isn't over until it's over and I'm really trying to see the positive in that!

I'm not sure where you heard that but I literally haven't heard that from anyone else. From all of my understanding, the post-degree BSW's are designed for people who realized they wanted to do a BSW, but had already finished (any other 'related') degree and thus didn't want to do 3-4 more years of school. I'm just saying, I know you're upset and you definitely have the right to be - it's such a stressful upsetting place to be in for all of us. But 1) you still may get into U of T or Laurier, they have sent out some acceptances but nothing I have heard says they've sent out all of them yet (which would also be silly because no programs really accept like that anyways) and 2) I would do more research into the post degree BSWs and which ones are geared towards people with 4 year degrees, since, yeah, I never heard anything about that whole 3 vs 4 year thing and frankly it seems kind of redundant and strange. Why offer a post-degree program if you really meant it as an honours style "post general degree" program?? Good luck with everything!

When the program filled last year and the waitlist closed I called their BSW program to inquire. Basically the 2 year BSW is there professional year courses for the current BSW students. So they offer spots to those students first, then to people who have a 3 year degree (no Honours). The reason why students with a 4 year degree (Honours) are considered last is because we meet the requirements for higher learning. 

I am obviously going to wait to hear back from Laurier and U of T before I become too hard headed. But, seeing as this is my second year applying and I really have no money to update courses and I don't want to waste my academic reference's time for a 3rd reference letter I am unsure if I will apply again next year. While I feel like my future is so uncertain, there are also many possibilities. Good luck to everyone still waiting :) 

I believe someone earlier said they got a response however mine still also says referred to department.

I have been reviewing these forums pretty closely and I have not seen that ?

I have seen that someone was accepted for working professionals but not 2 year.

But if it is good news that is good news for both of us ! Lol ☺

What confuses me about rolling admissions is how will they control the number of acceptances? It doesn't make sense and the days are getting longer and longer

Someone feel free to correct me, but my understanding from someone else is that the department would pick some of their highest scoring applicants and send out offers to these students and wait for a response to determine how many more acceptance to send out opposed to sending all accepted applicants an admission offer at once along with the wait-listed candidates. Additionally, deadlines are given to accepted applicants as to when they must respond. I believe doing it this way helps determine how many applicants to send a wait-list letter/email opposed to a rejection letter and quite possibly move some applicants onto the accepted list if a certain amount of applicants reject early on. 

Someone feel free to correct me, but my understanding from someone else is that the department would pick some of their highest scoring applicants and send out offers to these students and wait for a response to determine how many more acceptance to send out opposed to sending all accepted applicants an admission offer at once along with the wait-listed candidates. Additionally, deadlines are given to accepted applicants as to when they must respond. I believe doing it this way helps determine how many applicants to send a wait-list letter/email opposed to a rejection letter and quite possibly move some applicants onto the accepted list if a certain amount of applicants reject early on. 

That is also how it has been explained to me and how I have understood it. I think it is safe to say that UofT has gone through all of our applications at least once, otherwise nobody would have been accepted yet, it wouldn't make sense to only read half of the applications and accept some of those people without reading the other half of applications. 

They might be accepting the updated information in the chance that you are on a wait-list or maybe it will be considered as part of your application with the second round of offers. I still find it odd that they are accepting updated resumes without explicitly stating on the website that they will be looked at as part of your application. With updated transcripts last year I was specifically told that those grades would be considered a part of my application, it doesn't seem to be as clear cut of an answer for the updated CVs. 

I checked my mail today, no letters yet, I guess no news is good news  :unsure:

I have been reviewing these forums pretty closely and I have not seen that ?

I have seen that someone was accepted for working professionals but not 2 year.

But if it is good news that is good news for both of us ! Lol ☺

Just scroll up!

I was thinking, for U of T, maybe they only send out offers once a week, which could explain why we haven't heard anything yet this week. 

Maybe the answers only come out on Fridays...

I was thinking the same...

I just wanted to throw in the mix that I was accepted into the 2 year with a pretty big grade disadvantage, but really impressive experience so I'm not sure that "highest scoring" is a thing (given that I'm SURE that I wouldn't score most highly given my grades). It really seems that they're taking a holistic approach to acceptances, just as they claim they do. :)

So just a word of comfort if you're worried about your grades for U of T, it's not necessarily going to make or break your U of T decision--they're really looking at everything.

I just wanted to throw in the mix that I was accepted into the 2 year with a pretty big grade disadvantage, but really impressive experience so I'm not sure that "highest scoring" is a thing (given that I'm SURE that I wouldn't score most highly given my grades). It really seems that they're taking a holistic approach to acceptances, just as they claim they do. :)

So just a word of comfort if you're worried about your grades for U of T, it's not necessarily going to make or break your U of T decision--they're really looking at everything.

This post eased my mind, thank you very much. Although I am not worried about grades, I am worried about how my experience will measure up. I appreciate you adding this comment.  :)

@wishingonuoft I should specify that by "highest scoring" I am not implying that it is based on grades alone, you clearly have some considerable experiences whether they be personal, work or volunteer related in addition to great references and your statements of interest. Again, congratulations!

Hey guys, I got accepted to both Ryerson and York for one year MSWs and I'm trying to decide between them. I'm wondering about Ryerson's funding package - do they require you to do GA work in order to receive the funding like York does, or is this essentially "free money"?

Thanks to anyone who knows!

Thanks. I really do appreciate the encouragement. I'm worried that if my grades weren't competitive enough for Windsor than I have no shot at Toronto and especially not Laurier. But, it isn't over until it's over and I'm really trying to see the positive in that!

When the program filled last year and the waitlist closed I called their BSW program to inquire. Basically the 2 year BSW is there professional year courses for the current BSW students. So they offer spots to those students first, then to people who have a 3 year degree (no Honours). The reason why students with a 4 year degree (Honours) are considered last is because we meet the requirements for higher learning. 

I am obviously going to wait to hear back from Laurier and U of T before I become too hard headed. But, seeing as this is my second year applying and I really have no money to update courses and I don't want to waste my academic reference's time for a 3rd reference letter I am unsure if I will apply again next year. While I feel like my future is so uncertain, there are also many possibilities. Good luck to everyone still waiting :)

I have no idea what school you're even talking about right now - U of T does not have an MSW program, and if Laurier does I don't know much about it. And that may be true for that specific schools program, but I know for a fact there are 1 & 2 year BSW programs that are post-degree specifically, aka, they only accept people who are post bachelor's in another field, and then do an accelerated social work degree. Does that make sense? Just, again, something to look into if everything goes wrong and you do decide to go through the process again.

I have no idea what school you're even talking about right now - U of T does not have an MSW program, and if Laurier does I don't know much about it. And that may be true for that specific schools program, but I know for a fact there are 1 & 2 year BSW programs that are post-degree specifically, aka, they only accept people who are post bachelor's in another field, and then do an accelerated social work degree. Does that make sense? Just, again, something to look into if everything goes wrong and you do decide to go through the process again.

Hi everybody - Hope everyone is staying calm, cool and collected during these anxious times :) I've been wondering about this, so figured I would put this question out there. I've been told that schools have a certain mandate to accept a certain amount/percentage of students from each province. I'm sure the number differs for each, I'm curious if anyone knows much about this? I am living in B.C. and applies to two schools in Ontario (UofT and York) and University of Victoria, so I'm curious how this will impact the application process. Any insight is appreciated 

U of T certainly has an M.S.W program and so does Laurier, lol. Maybe you meant to write BSW?

^^^ What she said. And if you were wondering about the 2 Year BSW program I was referring to Windsor. 

U of T certainly has an M.S.W program and so does Laurier, lol. Maybe you meant to write BSW?

^^^ What she said. And if you were wondering about the 2 Year BSW program I was referring to Windsor. 

Yes, definitely meant to write BSW - hope the rest of my post made that clear enough.  ^_^

Hi everybody - Hope everyone is staying calm, cool and collected during these anxious times :) I've been wondering about this, so figured I would put this question out there. I've been told that schools have a certain mandate to accept a certain amount/percentage of students from each province. I'm sure the number differs for each, I'm curious if anyone knows much about this? I am living in B.C. and applies to two schools in Ontario (UofT and York) and University of Victoria, so I'm curious how this will impact the application process. Any insight is appreciated 

I wonder about this too sometimes but I can't see that being a huge factor, at the end of the day I think that the qualifications are what is considered above all else. I would assume that competition for spaces in Ontario is really stiff compared to some of the other provinces (correct me if I am wrong) and as an Ontario candidate I suppose you would be aware of that and try to become a stronger candidate meaning statistically people applying from Ontario might end up being the majority of those accepted into Ontario schools, phew I hope that made sense lol!

At the end of the day, if you have the total package I don't think they care where you are coming from :) 

People could be living in various provinces for short/long term purposes so it would be hard to know if that is their permanent residence.