Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I am beyond stressed :(...uoft please tell us what is going on I can't sleep

Aw, I have had trouble sleeping as well. Try doing yoga or working out a few times a week, generally that helps me stay asleep for a good 6-7 hours. Fingers crossed for some good news soon for both of us :) 

Slightly random question-does anyone know whether you qualify for EI if you take an unpaid education leave (3 months) from full time work to do a placement for MSW?

Thanks in advance!

(Yes I've contacted service canada and am getting the complete "run around"-nobody can seem to find the answer)

Edited by Jennbe

Just wanted to chime in to say that I've been silently reading here with my fingers crossed as well. I applied to UofT and York's 2-year MSW this year. This is my third (and final!) year applying for MSW programs. I think I need to move on with my life this year if I don't make it  :(

Last year I was wait-listed at UofT so going in I was feeling somewhat optimistic that I might make it this year. Hearing that folks have already heard back makes me really lose hope. I know it's still early but I also know that my odds are now diminished:many of those available seats are now filled.

Best wishes to everyone here. I know how agonizing waiting is! I know it hurts a lot to really want to enter this program, grind away at improving your CV and still not make it. Although it might not be my career path, I feel heartened to know that this generation of social workers are beyond a doubt total all stars!! I know all of you that have gotten in already really deserve to be there!

Does anyone know why on LORIS when you click the online form that the page is not found?

My understanding is that appears to have been an issue since February for a majority of people.

Just wanted to chime in to say that I've been silently reading here with my fingers crossed as well. I applied to UofT and York's 2-year MSW this year. This is my third (and final!) year applying for MSW programs. I think I need to move on with my life this year if I don't make it  :(

Last year I was wait-listed at UofT so going in I was feeling somewhat optimistic that I might make it this year. Hearing that folks have already heard back makes me really lose hope. I know it's still early but I also know that my odds are now diminished:many of those available seats are now filled.

Best wishes to everyone here. I know how agonizing waiting is! I know it hurts a lot to really want to enter this program, grind away at improving your CV and still not make it. Although it might not be my career path, I feel heartened to know that this generation of social workers are beyond a doubt total all stars!! I know all of you that have gotten in already really deserve to be there!

I am super sorry, I could only imagine how you feel. Hang in there hun, sending good luck your way

Those of you who applied to HBSW at Lakehead just wanted to let you know I emailed Sonya and she said we should be hearing shortly. She said check your myemail at Lakehead cause she will be sending an email when she knows more information and that we would be receiving our letters in the mail.

My understanding is that appears to have been an issue since February for a majority of people.

I have been having issues since around then too.  I was wondering if anyone had contacted Laurier to find out why.  What if someone actually had to change their contact information?  Thankfully I do not.  I am just getting very anxious now as we still have a couple of weeks before we hear anything.  The more I read posts, the more I begin to doubt my credentials. 

I am getting to the point that I just want to know either way so I can plan ahead.

Slightly random question-does anyone know whether you qualify for EI if you take an unpaid education leave (3 months) from full time work to do a placement for MSW?

Thanks in advance!

(Yes I've contacted service canada and am getting the complete "run around"-nobody can seem to find the answer)

Students are, as far as I know, not eligible for EI at all. They expect you to take out OSAP loans if you need money.

Those of you who applied to HBSW at Lakehead just wanted to let you know I emailed Sonya and she said we should be hearing shortly. She said check your myemail at Lakehead cause she will be sending an email when she knows more information and that we would be receiving our letters in the mail.

Thank you AMetallo, I've been keeping up with this forum for a couple weeks and haven't seen much about the HBSW yet.

I went back and checked the 2014 forum and saw that people weren't hearing until April for the HBSW so that's a relief! 

(I've applied for 2 year MSWs at York, U of T, Windsor, and Laurier - haven't heard from any of them yet)

I did my BSW at McMaster. Everyone speaks highly of the program but the elephant in the room is that it is 90 % white bougie white kids. Most importantly, there's not a lot of support for racialized students. The expert on anti-oppression is a straight white able-bodied british man who is worshiped like a god there and i just found this odd. 

Another important note is that Mac MSW does not have a placement and is thesis based. 

BSW at Waterloo is similar.  Mostly straight white kids.  There was more class range, but not a lot.  It was really uncomfortable when talking about race or sexuality, etc. to be in a class with no one of those groups, OR with one person from those groups.  They became sort of 'tokened' and i don't think they were comfortable with representing 'people of colour' in general or what have you.  It's a major issue that only some of the admin at waterloo seems to openly acknowledge.

The faculty was not as diverse as it could have been, but in the classes that were specifically designed to address racial issues there were profs of colour.  Which seems like a decent compromise for a small program and the lack of diversity in phd level humanities generally.

wxyyyz - What years did you attend the BSW at UWaterloo bc I didn't find that to be true at all.  There were 60 people in my program and at least 10 were not white.  There were also a number of openly gay/bi/etc class members. 

Thanks for getting in touch with Sonya! I wasn't expecting to hear till April but was hoping it would be a little earlier. Fingers crossed it'll be next week or the week after - though it sounds like we won't find out till we get the letters? Then again, I imagine they'd put it up on OUAC too?? Good luck everyone!

Has anyone else received funding from U of T? One person mentioned a $4000 scholarship... if anyone else is comfortable sharing, I am curious to know what package you got or what U of T offers

I would really prefer to go to U of T (if I even get in there, that is) but York's funding is kind of unbelievable (funding + scholarship)... just trying to get a sense of how U of T might compare. I'm assuming that since I haven't heard, I'm not in their top tier, so maybe there wouldn't even be funding (if I get in).

Thanks for any info you might have!

PS I heard back from UVic yesterday and got in there as well. I'm going to be declining it -- so if anyone is waiting for a spot there, hopefully this turns into good news for you!

Angela Umbrello is away from the office today so I dont think ROSI will get updated today .. 

She probably needed a day off from us haha All joking aside maybe someone else does the updating for ROSI, but either way we're stuck waiting for awhile :) hope everyone is managing!

I have been having issues since around then too.  I was wondering if anyone had contacted Laurier to find out why.  What if someone actually had to change their contact information?  Thankfully I do not.  I am just getting very anxious now as we still have a couple of weeks before we hear anything.  The more I read posts, the more I begin to doubt my credentials. 

I am getting to the point that I just want to know either way so I can plan ahead.

I imagine they probably have restricted access to it while they're reviewing applications. From reading posts from previous years, Laurier is pretty consistent with the time they start sending out emails and letters as well as their method of informing applicants via email then mail.

I received my UofT big brown envelope today! My mom read some of it to me over the phone and from what she read, there was no mention of funding.. BUT, the acceptance is more important :)

Good luck to everyone!!! My fingers are crossed for you, everyone has worked so hard - you deserve this!!

Edited by ChristinaB1990

Hey everyone! Has anyone who's been waitlisted at Carleton received any information? Sue Brady had said we would hear by the end of this week and I'm wondering if anyone has :)

I just emailed Sue Brady to find out where I rank on the waitlist ......