Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I have to say - the way they send out acceptances, rejections, etc.. is torture!!

My friends who went to teachers college say there is a specific day where all schools send out their decisions.. Wouldn't life be much easier if MSW programs did that?

I have to say - the way they send out acceptances, rejections, etc.. is torture!!

My friends who went to teachers college say there is a specific day where all schools send out their decisions.. Wouldn't life be much easier if MSW programs did that?

I agree 100% 

I'm so sorry to hear. This University is like that unfortunately :( Try and self care today.

edit: I'm currently at Mcgill  

Rejected from McGill. Quite harsh. It just says 'refused'. I'm pretty upset :(

I just got rejected too :( I feel for you :( It really sucks! 

Edited by purplegrey

BSW at Waterloo is similar.  Mostly straight white kids.  There was more class range, but not a lot.  It was really uncomfortable when talking about race or sexuality, etc. to be in a class with no one of those groups, OR with one person from those groups.  They became sort of 'tokened' and i don't think they were comfortable with representing 'people of colour' in general or what have you.  It's a major issue that only some of the admin at waterloo seems to openly acknowledge.

The faculty was not as diverse as it could have been, but in the classes that were specifically designed to address racial issues there were profs of colour.  Which seems like a decent compromise for a small program and the lack of diversity in phd level humanities generally.

Yes - tokenism and discomfort would characterize McMaster as well. Homophobia and heterosexism is prevalent - there is support for the LGBTQ community which is great - however, when I was there, it was still a pretty white group and I am not certain if students from QTPOC communities felt included.

I think it's important to consider these issues because it would play out in your grad school experience. In research, it can impact how you are supported by the school. I was involved in a major research project  as part of my BSW and I certainly saw differential support and opportunities provided by faculty between white and racialized students and I did not feel safe to bring them up. I'm not saying they are awful people but from my experiences, there's sometimes a lack of reflection on certain practices.

wxyyyz - What years did you attend the BSW at UWaterloo bc I didn't find that to be true at all.  There were 60 people in my program and at least 10 were not white.  There were also a number of openly gay/bi/etc class members. 

50 white students in a school of 60 is still 'mostly white'

Social Work 93 - Thank you. I also emailed her so lets keep each other posted if we get any news. Fingers crossed we are above #5. I've determined if I am above 5 I at least have a small chance. What do you think?

I just emailed Sue Brady to find out where I rank on the waitlist ...... 

Social Work 93 - Thank you. I also emailed her so lets keep each other posted if we get any news. Fingers crossed we are above #5. I've determined if I am above 5 I at least have a small chance. What do you think?

I am confused, did she say the first week of April or when she said she would contact us by the end of this week did she mean that we would be ranked by then???

Yeah I agree. The vast majority of people will be accepted to multiple universities so that should open a few spots. As long as we are above 5 I think we may get in. 

I am confused, did she say the first week of April or when she said she would contact us by the end of this week did she mean that we would be ranked by then???

On the phone she told me the first week of April, but I figured I might try before like this week so I guess we will see ... 

I did my BSW at McMaster. Everyone speaks highly of the program but the elephant in the room is that it is 90 % white bougie white kids. Most importantly, there's not a lot of support for racialized students. The expert on anti-oppression is a straight white able-bodied british man who is worshiped like a god there and i just found this odd. 

Another important note is that Mac MSW does not have a placement and is thesis based. 

I felt compelled to address this comment -- I apologize if it is out of place with respect to this thread's subject matter. I'm currently awaiting a response for the UofT 2-year MSW. I was waitlisted last year. Best of luck to everybody.

As for the comment: with all due respect, your logic is absolutely preposterous. For one, psychologists/psychiatrists/etc. apparently do not need to suffer from mental illness(es) themselves to have their professional legitimacy questioned. We need effective cliniciansnot clinicians who can merely "identify" with clients. This trend towards oppression-as-currency makes me gag. That professor you described is an anti-oppression expert because he knows more than any putatively "oppressed" people about their oppression. Unlike theory and professional experience, personal experience is not a language that anybody else can understand. A depressed person doesn't necessarily know more about depression than someone who studies it meticulously and who deals with depressed people every day. In fact, depression by its very nature tends to preclude strong self-insight. Granted, though, someone with both personal and professional experience would be more likely to make an incredible clinician, e.g., Marsha Linehan, R. D. Laing. 

For the record, I'm a "white boy" who was raised for the latter half of my life, along with my sibling, by a single mom's under-100K salary. Both me and my sibling suffer from chronic autoimmune diseases. Being stifled into voicelessness because I'm a "white boy" merely constitutes a reversal of roles, not an elimination of discrimination. Maybe I should just milk the fact that I'm Jewish in my applications, since Jews are historically the most oppressed minority in the world? Or maybe I should actually show some integrity instead? 

If any programs are obligated to fill diversity quotas, something has gone horribly awry. 

P.S. Social work is 90% female. Technically, "white boys" are the minority in the field; if anybody should be "benefiting" (*gag*) from this arrangement, it should be white boys. But most men are just too insensitive to want to pursue education in social work, right? 

goodnews - This is the email she sent me on March 12th which I took it as we would have news this week. 

Hello ___________, we are just now hearing back from the 1st round offer candidates.   Until we hear from them we cannot determine the ranking of the Waitlisted candidates.   Your response was received and you are on the waitlist.

We can and do go to the waitlist throughout the summer because sometimes candidates change their minds late,  about attending the program.   So yes you will remain on the list all summer.

We are hoping to be able to review the waitlisted candidates for possible conditions.    I will be emailing the waitlisted candidates hopefully by the end of next week.

Sue

goodnews - This is the email she sent me on March 12th which I took it as we would have news this week. 

Hello ___________, we are just now hearing back from the 1st round offer candidates.   Until we hear from them we cannot determine the ranking of the Waitlisted candidates.   Your response was received and you are on the waitlist.

We can and do go to the waitlist throughout the summer because sometimes candidates change their minds late,  about attending the program.   So yes you will remain on the list all summer.

We are hoping to be able to review the waitlisted candidates for possible conditions.    I will be emailing the waitlisted candidates hopefully by the end of next week.

Sue

That would be so great to know this week! I took that to mean that she would email us to tell us what was 'flagged' in our applications. I really need to hear SOME news from ANYONE at this point hahha

Hi guys, I  just wanted to let you know i spoke to a credible source at admission from Uoft because I am currently enrolled in Undergrad, and they said that don't worry there is more acceptances to come, they send out different wage of acceptances. that don't stress because there is still lots of hope. 

You might be right - I'm holding on to anything at this point. Being waitlisted at Carleton definitely hurt my confidence... fingers crossed for some GOOD news!! 

That would be so great to know this week! I took that to mean that she would email us to tell us what was 'flagged' in our applications. I really need to hear SOME news from ANYONE at this point hahha

Hi guys, I  just wanted to let you know i spoke to a credible source at admission from Uoft because I am currently enrolled in Undergrad, and they said that don't worry there is more acceptances to come, they send out different wage of acceptances. that don't stress because there is still lots of hope. 

This makes me feel like there is still hope lol! I didnt think they sent them all at once though. :) Thank you for giving us this info!

I felt compelled to address this comment -- I apologize if it is out of place with respect to this thread's subject matter. I'm currently awaiting a response for the UofT 2-year MSW. I was waitlisted last year. Best of luck to everybody.

As for the comment: with all due respect, your logic is absolutely preposterous. For one, psychologists/psychiatrists/etc. apparently do not need to suffer from mental illness(es) themselves to have their professional legitimacy questioned. We need effective cliniciansnot clinicians who can merely "identify" with clients. This trend towards oppression-as-currency makes me gag. That professor you described is an anti-oppression expert because he knows more than any putatively "oppressed" people about their oppression. Unlike theory and professional experience, personal experience is not a language that anybody else can understand. A depressed person doesn't necessarily know more about depression than someone who studies it meticulously and who deals with depressed people every day. In fact, depression by its very nature tends to preclude strong self-insight. Granted, though, someone with both personal and professional experience would be more likely to make an incredible clinician, e.g., Marsha Linehan, R. D. Laing. 

For the record, I'm a "white boy" who was raised for the latter half of my life, along with my sibling, by a single mom's under-100K salary. Both me and my sibling suffer from chronic autoimmune diseases. Being stifled into voicelessness because I'm a "white boy" merely constitutes a reversal of roles, not an elimination of discrimination. Maybe I should just milk the fact that I'm Jewish in my applications, since Jews are historically the most oppressed minority in the world? Or maybe I should actually show some integrity instead? 

If any programs are obligated to fill diversity quotas, something has gone horribly awry. 

P.S. Social work is 90% female. Technically, "white boys" are the minority in the field; if anybody should be "benefiting" (*gag*) from this arrangement, it should be white boys. But most men are just too insensitive to want to pursue education in social work, right? 

Lots of good points made here. 

I agree that since social work is a professional designation, one does not need to have experienced the situations they are dealing with, as long as you are qualified. I myself volunteer for the Childrens Aid Society and lots of social workers do not have children yet work in child welfare. 

Having said that, I do beleive that certain groups have been excluded from higher education historically such as racialized individuals for instance. For this reason, there may be structural and systemic level issues still at play, preventing them from getting a higher education. These inequities still exist and have real consequences today. I do wonder if perhaps having "equity seats" reserved to certain people rather than the most qualified is beneficial.... 

I have grown up as a wealthy white girl from the suburbs, yet volunteer with people in poverty in the Toronto Jane and Finch area..... I have no personal experience with the population I am working with, yet social work is a profession that links clients with resources. My ability to do that is not based on my personal life experience, but rather my professional expertise. 

I do not have a strong opinion on this issue but thought I would put in my two cents worth. 

Edited by Social Work 93

it's the anticipation that has me stressed haha

OMG thanks so much and thanks so much for sharing this on the thread !!! I feel so much better !!! Wow thanks! 

This makes me feel like there is still hope lol! I didnt think they sent them all at once though. :) Thank you for giving us this info!

Your welcomed, someone I know know someone who works there and she agreed to meet with me because of that person and she told me that :). She high in the department so I know she is telling the truth and she knows what she is talking about

Edited by MSW-UofT

oh dear - 

I am not equating oppression with currency. I am saying that there are barriers for marginalized peoples within the social work profession. This is important when you consider the damage the profession has done and continues to do (overrepresentation of Native and Black kids in child welfare, institutionalization of disabled people) – social workers were and continue to be complicit in this. The key word in social work is SOCIAL, not clinical, or psychological, or medical. If the people from communities impacted by social issues are not adequately represented in the profession and in schools, this means that a lot of important knowledge that could inform clinical practice is being excluded. These issues will also impact your experiences as a grad student as well.

PS while males are underrepresented in social work, take a wild guess about what the gender and colour of those in upper level management are in social work?  

Edited by cheesecake

What did she say ? what number are u on the waitlist?

WHAT DID SHE SAY!! I haven't received mine!! ugh :(

Edit: sorry caps - I got excited. please tell me.... lol

Sent a private message! No worries I understand the excitement!!!

I asked Sue about waiting list placement and she said this:

We are hoping to be able to rank our waitlisted candidates in min-April.   If an offer of admission is forthcoming you will then be required to send an official transcript but one is not needed at this point.

Sue