Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Check your email and your portal it's under applications and application status

If you go check your Lakehead account all decisions have been released! Good luck! :)

Thanks! I didn't receive an email but I see now that I have been accepted to the Thunder Bay campus for HBSW.

Thanks! I didn't receive an email but I see now that I have been accepted to the Thunder Bay campus for HBSW.

Congrats on all of your acceptances! Which is your first choice? 

Congrats on all of your acceptances! Which is your first choice? 

My first choices are Laurier and Carleton. Their programs align with my research interests and career goals. If I were to get into Laurier I would have to weigh my decision carefully. It is closer to home and I would therefore be closer to my family and friends, but Carleton has offered amazing funding and a TA position so there's that to consider.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I may be seeing you in the fall!

I am assuming this forum is not filled with many people from the atlantic east coast (or maritimes). But...has anyone here applied to Maine University for a BSW? Or, has gone to Maine University for a BSW?

I am graduating this year with an Honours Psychology 4Yr BA, and if I don't get accepted into a MSW anywheres, I will be going into Maine's BSW program with the hope that I can get all my credits transferred (so it will only take me a year or two)?

Did anyone here ever encounter this experience @ Maine University? :) 

Thanks! 

I am just wondering if anyone has made a Facebook group for U Of T two year program or has interest in having a group? Perhaps it is a bit early, but I hope that everyone who has not yet heard gets good news this week! Good luck!!!

Hey everyone,

Angela just emailed me back this morning about another revised resume I sent in. she said it'd be attached . so don't give up hope yet!

Should I be sending in an updated resume? It seems like everyone in this forum has. I have a further 3.5 months of full time hours to add (so about 560) but it's at the same job. 

Should I be sending in an updated resume? It seems like everyone in this forum has. I have a further 3.5 months of full time hours to add (so about 560) but it's at the same job. 

I don't think UofT asked us to calculate the total hours that we had, they just asked for the hours per month, I feel like they do the calculations for us??? Maybe I am wrong but I feel like they know that you are still working where you indicated on your resume, I am in the same position and this is what I am choosing to believe. Unless someone else has different insight...

On another note, I am so confused/annoyed by what UofT is doing this year. I wish they would have done what they did in pervious years and just send everything at once. I was waitlisted last year and they let us all know around the same time, it was so less stressful. (just venting...)

Yeah I definitely would since they're accepting them. Those extra hours look great and sending in another one is a good way to show your hard work and drive to getting into the program :)

I am assuming this forum is not filled with many people from the atlantic east coast (or maritimes). But...has anyone here applied to Maine University for a BSW? Or, has gone to Maine University for a BSW?

I am graduating this year with an Honours Psychology 4Yr BA, and if I don't get accepted into a MSW anywheres, I will be going into Maine's BSW program with the hope that I can get all my credits transferred (so it will only take me a year or two)?

Did anyone here ever encounter this experience @ Maine University? :) 

Thanks! 

You may have better luck in the actual social work board (it's hiding under professional degrees). This is a thread about Canadian Universities specifically, but there are TONS of threads for American universities (and even a BSW thread) so you're probably more likely to find someone who knows about the program over there. As you can tell, there aren't that many of us here, we're just very very loud.

Hey everyone,

Angela just emailed me back this morning about another revised resume I sent in. she said it'd be attached . so don't give up hope yet!

Interesting that she emailed you back about it! When'd you send it in? I sent in an updated official transcript and it would have gotten there on the 19th ish (I checked, they definitely had received / signed for it) but Angela hasn't let me know officially that she's gotten it. Don't want to bug her, haha. So how long abouts did that email take to get to you after you sent in the transcript?

I am just wondering if anyone has made a Facebook group for U Of T two year program or has interest in having a group? Perhaps it is a bit early, but I hope that everyone who has not yet heard gets good news this week! Good luck!!!

I would also like to know about the group! I sent in my acceptance of the offer yesterday :)

I would also like to know about the group! I sent in my acceptance of the offer yesterday :)

Hi goodnews,

I have no problem making a group if there is interest in it. I just don't want to make one if there is an existing. When I search facebook groups I see groups for class of 2014,15,16, but no 17 as of yet. :)

Also, congratulations! I will be sending mine in tomorrow morning! 

For those of you admitted to York did you receive more than 9000? My email said minimum of 9000, not sure if there is a possibility of more and if the official acceptance letter would state??? 

Did any of you receive more? I am very content but just want to know!!!

That person did? 

Anyway, I got 9000 and it is as a TAship or GAship or research position (TBD) and apparently funding can changed based on getting scholarships/bursaries. (I assume they would guarantee less in those cases).

The official letter lays it out a little better, but most of the details are still unclear for me - e.g. timing of funding, how hours work, etc.

Hi prairiegirl2015

I got $15k funding for the 2-year program, which seems to be standard compared to the other person on this forum who was accepted to York 2-year. I got a $6k scholarship on top of that.

The letter outlines it a little bit better but as wxyyyz said, the details are still a little fuzzy. My funding didn't change between the acceptance email and the actual letter -- same amount. My letter said that my first year of funding would be a graduate assistantship and I would have to work 5 hours a week, then in the second year the funding is the form of a research assistant position and I don't need to work for that (not really sure how that works.. sounds like it's just straight funding)

ShayRonee93, do you hope to continue on and do an MSW at a Canadian University, and/or work in Canada? If so I would definitely contact the CASW to see how completing a BSW at an American University may impact registering as a social worker in Canada in the future. If you hope to do a Canadian advanced standing MSW program afterward I'd also check to make sure Maine's BSW program meets the admission criteria for the programs you'd be interested in.

Good luck! :). I'm from the east coast as well (originally from Newfoundland although I'm in Toronto right now). 

Hi goodnews,

I have no problem making a group if there is interest in it. I just don't want to make one if there is an existing. When I search facebook groups I see groups for class of 2014,15,16, but no 17 as of yet. :)

Also, congratulations! I will be sending mine in tomorrow morning!

Thanks! Congratulations to you as well! :). I think people will definitely be interested! I don't see one for class of 2017 either

I sent in an updated resume but only because I had been accepted to the APA convention to present my research, not because of extra work. I feel the same as everybody on this one- I think they pretty much assume that you are collecting more hours. Also, I got a generic response that it was added to my file. Not to be pessimistic but I have a feeling she would give that response no matter what. I doubt she would send back saying "no point, you didn't make the cut". That's just my take though, sorry if that is blunt. Best of luck to everyone again. I think this week is the week. 

Interesting that she emailed you back about it! When'd you send it in? I sent in an updated official transcript and it would have gotten there on the 19th ish (I checked, they definitely had received / signed for it) but Angela hasn't let me know officially that she's gotten it. Don't want to bug her, haha. So how long abouts did that email take to get to you after you sent in the transcript?

Hey. Yeah I happened to ask if they were still accepting revised resumes and other items. I sent it in via email March 26 so she got back to me pretty quickly.  If you're concerned about the transcript I would email and ask. If you mailed it, it should most likely be there by now. For me anyway, she's always responded to let me know when she received something - but that was by email .  :)

I sent in an updated resume but only because I had been accepted to the APA convention to present my research, not because of extra work. I feel the same as everybody on this one- I think they pretty much assume that you are collecting more hours. Also, I got a generic response that it was added to my file. Not to be pessimistic but I have a feeling she would give that response no matter what. I doubt she would send back saying "no point, you didn't make the cut". That's just my take though, sorry if that is blunt. Best of luck to everyone again. I think this week is the week. 

I think the extra info will come in handy for people who are put on a waitlist. UofT does not rank the waitlisted candidates until they know how many new spots have opened up and they're ready to send out more offers.

If you are put on a waitlist and they need certain information, they'll ask for it. In my case, I was asked to send in a final transcript and practicum evaluation(never did practicum 1, I got PLAR credit for it) after completion. I am not sure if everyone put on the waitlist was asked to send in the same. They did not ask for my resume. I can see sending in transcripts from end of semester in December but a resume with a couple more months of experience? Anyway I dont think they start ranking the waitlists until after April 7th(deadline to send in response), by that time I am sure they would have sent out waitlist emails/letters....

Waitlisted: University of Toronto

Heads up: This is what I received hours ago. 

This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application. We ask for your continued patience.  

---------------

So my take is another round(s) of acceptances would be rolling in before mid-April, and this could either be people getting off the wait list, if there exists one, or just optimistically finish departmental and graduate office review and procedural confirmation.

Heads up: This is what I received hours ago. 

This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application. We ask for your continued patience.  

---------------

So my take is another round(s) of acceptances would be rolling in before mid-April, and this could either be people getting off the wait list, if there exists one, or just optimistically finish departmental and graduate office review and procedural confirmation.

Awesome! 

If you are put on a waitlist and they need certain information, they'll ask for it. In my case, I was asked to send in a final transcript and practicum evaluation(never did practicum 1, I got PLAR credit for it) after completion. I am not sure if everyone put on the waitlist was asked to send in the same. They did not ask for my resume. I can see sending in transcripts from end of semester in December but a resume with a couple more months of experience? Anyway I dont think they start ranking the waitlists until after April 7th(deadline to send in response), by that time I am sure they would have sent out waitlist emails/letters....

Waitlisted: University of Toronto

So to clarify you got wait listed for the two year program????

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I emailed Angela regarding how many people applied to the 2-year U of T MSW and this was my response:

Hello,

This year we received over 800 applicants for the two-year  MSW Program, and 140 positions are available.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto