Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Congratulations to everyone who found out from Laurier, U of T and St Thomas today, that is such wonderful news! I'm just curious, to people who are getting into the 2 year programs: is this your first time applying or have you applied before? Just wanna get an idea of how common reapplication is ! 

I applied for the first time! (and to only one school, so I really put my eggs in one basket since it's my dream program--for future lurkers I wouldn't recommend doing this, it worked out in the end for me but the anxiety of having one option was too much to handle at some points!)

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE ACCEPTED TODAY INTO THE VARIOUS PROGRAMS! It's wonderful to see so many dreams coming true, it's truly an emotional day all around.  I'm super looking forward to meeting a bunch of you in the Fall at U of T  :D  :D  :D you guys are amazing!

Edited by wishingonuoft

I got into uoft I can't breath I literally started crying and hyperventilating at work omg!!

Same! Congratulations everyone :3

...I hope its not a cruel April's Fool joke

Hey everyone. These are my qualifications. What are your opinions on what I need to improve on??

I have a high b+ A- avg depending on if they go back 8 or 10 courses. I have volunteered two years at youth assisting youth as a mentor. One year as a research assistant. 8 months as a transcribed at an anxiety research lab. Two months as a data inputted at kids help phone. 6 months as a peer support at Hope 24/7. Just started for three months now at distress Centre as a distress line volunteer. And children's aid society as a tutor for 8 months so far.

I have As in all my research courses as well as my thesis paper. I'm not sure what else to improve on to increase my chances :(. I'm thinking I could have chosen better references maybe

Hey everyone. These are my qualifications. What are your opinions on what I need to improve on??

I have a high b+ A- avg depending on if they go back 8 or 10 courses. I have volunteered two years at youth assisting youth as a mentor. One year as a research assistant. 8 months as a transcribed at an anxiety research lab. Two months as a data inputted at kids help phone. 6 months as a peer support at Hope 24/7. Just started for three months now at distress Centre as a distress line volunteer. And children's aid society as a tutor for 8 months so far.

I have As in all my research courses as well as my thesis paper. I'm not sure what else to improve on to increase my chances :(. I'm thinking I could have chosen better references maybe[/quote

Transcriber * inputter *

Hello everyone,

In the spirit of another round of acceptances to U of T (also congrats to those who got offered admission elsewhere!!!), I decided to make a Facebook group for the two year program. The name of the group is U OF T FACTOR-INWENTASH M.S.W (2 YEAR) CLASS OF 2017 and I don't know if the link will work but here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604726966434705/

I made the group for the 2 year program because advanced standing students will have 2016 as a graduating year, although everyone feel free to join! Let me know if you have any issues finding it!

Thanks everyone and best wishes for everyone still waiting to hear on programs!

I have As in all my research courses as well as my thesis paper. I'm not sure what else to improve on to increase my chances :(. I'm thinking I could have chosen better references maybe

Don't beat yourself up, the odds are against most people. You may benefit from meeting with someone in a social work department. I know that Calgary allows unsuccessful applicants to do this. If its something that you really want, don't give up. In order to improve my references I took social work courses at a university. I was able to get 2 references from professors who teach in MSW programs.

Since I was wait-listed last year, and our experiences seem similar. The difference for me this this year was more volunteer work, started part-time support worker position (first paid position in social services) and expanded on my statement more. However, my highest mark in Research/Stats course is B+, the other two marks are only Bs.

Don't beat yourself up, the odds are against most people. You may benefit from meeting with someone in a social work department. I know that Calgary allows unsuccessful applicants to do this. If its something that you really want, don't give up. In order to improve my references I took social work courses at a university. I was able to get 2 references from professors who teach in MSW programs.

Thank you! I did get accepted to the HBSW Lakehead program so I am hoping I can do amazing in that program and get into the MSW Advanced Standing. It so nice to have this forum with people who understand!!!

Since I was wait-listed last year, and our experiences seem similar. The difference for me this this year was more volunteer work, started part-time support worker position (first paid position in social services) and expanded on my statement more. However, my highest mark in Research/Stats course is B+, the other two marks are only Bs.

Hello everyone,

In the spirit of another round of acceptances to U of T (also congrats to those who got offered admission elsewhere!!!), I decided to make a Facebook group for the two year program. The name of the group is U OF T FACTOR-INWENTASH M.S.W (2 YEAR) CLASS OF 2017 and I don't know if the link will work but here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604726966434705/

I made the group for the 2 year program because advanced standing students will have 2016 as a graduating year, although everyone feel free to join! Let me know if you have any issues finding it!

Thanks everyone and best wishes for everyone still waiting to hear on programs!

This is a great idea!!! However, did I miss the memo on creating our UofT emails? I think you need an email to join the group.

This is a great idea!!! However, did I miss the memo on creating our UofT emails? I think you need an email to join the group.

I don't think you would need a U of T email for Facebook would you? Did you try joining and it said that?

I don't think you would need a U of T email for Facebook would you? Did you try joining and it said that?

I think because it's part of the U of T network, you need to prove you're a U of T student. It was the same thing with one of my Ryerson groups. I think you can change the settings to not have it on the U of T network.

Since it's a "closed group within University of Toronto" it says, "Requires @mail.utoronto.ca/utoronto.ca email to join" then gives me a spot to confirm my email before I'm allowed to join... hmm.

Let's see if anyone else runs into this problem haha maybe I'm doing something wrong

Ok I changed settings to open group but I am not sure how to change it from requiring utor email! Does anyone know how?

When I search it, it still says Open Group Within the University of Toronto. you would need to take the group out of the university of Toronto network and just make it an open (or closed) general FB group

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

My last name starts with an "S" so I don't think Laurier is doing it alphabetically.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congratulations to everyone who received good news today!