Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

So the waitlisting begins!! Thats good. I hope it works out and you get in.

Thanks AMetallo!  Not looking forward to more waiting but am happy with being put on the waitlist.  It seems like there are very competitive applicants this year. 

Thanks AMetallo!  Not looking forward to more waiting but am happy with being put on the waitlist.  It seems like there are very competitive applicants this year. 

Oh for sure! Better than a rejection at least you know you are on the right track. Yeah it really is competitive!

Oh for sure! Better than a rejection at least you know you are on the right track. Yeah it really is competitive!

Just going to work on making my application better for next year.  I think around 40 people get put on the waitlist so if it even moves, it will still be really competitive.

Just going to work on making my application better for next year.  I think around 40 people get put on the waitlist so if it even moves, it will still be really competitive.

Yeah for sure. Have you thought of doing an accelerated BSW program?

Yeah for sure. Have you thought of doing an accelerated BSW program?

No, I have not thought about that until I started reading about it on this forum.  I did not realize there was such a program. The only issue is that I do not want to move away for school which limits where I can apply.

No, I have not thought about that until I started reading about it on this forum.  I did not realize there was such a program. The only issue is that I do not want to move away for school which limits where I can apply.

Oh agreed. I applied last year and got rejected than I heard about the accelerated BSW programs so I applied for that. Definitely don't want to move away either. I feel like my options on schools are soo limited because of this!

Just checked my mail ! I received my rejection from Laurier and I received my acceptance package from U of T! It's really real now !!!

Hey Christina! That's awesome, getting the letter in the mail must really make you feel awesome.

Do you (or anyone else who got rejected / waitlisted to Laurier) mind letting me know what you see on the LORIS admissions portal page? Is it just the same as before (references) or does it link to a new page that mentions the rejection?

Thanks! :)

Oh agreed. I applied last year and got rejected than I heard about the accelerated BSW programs so I applied for that. Definitely don't want to move away either. I feel like my options on schools are soo limited because of this!

Good luck with everything!

Hey Christina! That's awesome, getting the letter in the mail must really make you feel awesome.

Do you (or anyone else who got rejected / waitlisted to Laurier) mind letting me know what you see on the LORIS admissions portal page? Is it just the same as before (references) or does it link to a new page that mentions the rejection?

Thanks! :)

Hey magfish,

I was waitlisted and the admissions page still shows references.  Someone posted yesterday (I believe) that it only changes once you get accepted.

Everyone who got into Laurier can I ask a question?? Roughly how many hours of experience in the social services field do you have?? I heard Laurier puts a lot of emphasis on that. I only have about 1000-1200 hours of experience and they say the competitive range is about 3500. I just wanted to know roughly what people have who did get accepted and if it is closer to 3500??

Thanks in advance:)

Hi there,

I probably had close to 5000 or so. I volunteered throughout my undergrad (in social services environments and as an RA) and have worked full-time for 2 years since graduating. I think that would have been my strong point. But, my grades aren't amazing. I have 79.5 cumulative and my data marks are not very strong. I thought they would have held me back.

Hope this helps!

Hi there,

I probably had close to 5000 or so. I volunteered throughout my undergrad (in social services environments and as an RA) and have worked full-time for 2 years since graduating. I think that would have been my strong point. But, my grades aren't amazing. I have 79.5 cumulative and my data marks are not very strong. I thought they would have held me back.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!! So it seems as if a lot of people accepted into Laurier actually worked full-time in the field for a year or few years before applying to the MSW.

Thanks for everyone sharing this helps!

Congratulations again to everyone! We all deserve it!

I have officially been rejected everywhere except Windsor and U of T now. Should I have any hope?

Lots of people have seemed to heard something one way or another from all these schools, so I'm not sure why I have no update yet from UofT at least.

I still haven't received my package in the mail (I was accepted last week to uoft) anyone else not get it? Starting to panic it was mailed to my old address :(

I still haven't received my package in the mail (I was accepted last week to uoft) anyone else not get it? Starting to panic it was mailed to my old address :(

I would wait another day, as it was holidays for Canada Post(Fri,Sun, Mon officially). I also don't have mine, it's mailed to my moms place and she will check later tonight. I will keep you updated

Thanks swrk, I'm just worried about someone opening the mail. I already contacted Angela to make sure they sent to the right address :)

I received my acceptance package from U of T in the mail today! So happy to finally know what I'll be doing in the fall! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  And it's an added bonus to get accepted to my #1. Still waiting to hear from York though.

Hi, did anyone hear back from York University MSW Advanced Standing who were put on a wait list? 

Yes I did :) I was wait listed on March 10th (I think...whenever the first round of acceptances went out) and accepted on March 31st to York Advanced Standing. 

I was wondering if anyone on this forum also applied to Master's of Disabilities at Brock. 

Yes I applied! And was accepted last Wednesday to the Master's of Applied Disability Studies. 

hey everyone! for those of you who are receiving acceptances in the mail and got accepted on ROSI last week, has your sgs changed? I am already accepted into another u of t grad program so it wouldn't show up on ROSI and i am international so the mail takes about 10 extra days to get here! not expecting an acceptance necessarily but was wondering if sgs has changed so i can know a little sooner! 

thanks and congrats everyone! it will be a great year! 

I was wondering if anyone on this forum also applied to Master's of Disabilities at Brock. 

Hi RRBrittany,

I was accepted into the MADS around March 30th. Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM.