Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Got accepted to York yesterday! Im over the moon!! Still surprised i didnt get in to York, they are clearly looking for something very specific.

That was my bad, got mixed up in all my excitement. I got accepted to UofT's 2 year program, rejected from York.

I got this EXACT email when I inquired 6 weeks ago. I wouldn't read into this email too much. At this point I am onto my plan b, and just waiting for what I know is coming in the mail from U of T. It's pretty difficult to be optimistic at this point. I wish they would just send everything out already. Who knows though?

I also got this exact email at the end of march when i e-mailed her, only difference was that she let me know that there had not been any update on my application. That was March 25th, and my acceptance package had a date of "April 1st" on it when it came in two days ago. Hang in there!

I also got this exact email at the end of march when i e-mailed her, only difference was that she let me know that there had not been any update on my application. That was March 25th, and my acceptance package had a date of "April 1st" on it when it came in two days ago. Hang in there!

Is your ROSI account updated?

Is your ROSI account updated?

Okay, so I have no idea what ROSI is lol. I did my undergrad at York, and before i got accepted i would read all these people getting accepted through ROSI and my admissions application page still said (and still does say) "under review". Im assuming now that I have a UofT student number ill be able to log into this ROSI page..havent had time to look at it yet though!

We are not all privileged to be able to afford school without financial assistance. Bursaries can be extremely beneficial for some people and can greatly ease the financial burden. As well, some programs like business and engineering pay their students to complete practicums and most masters programs with a thesis provide funding so many students can attend school debt-free. So I do not think it is unreasonable to hope that an MSW program would provide some financial assistance.

In your MSW program, there will be lots of discussions and readings related to social location and privilege. After some deep reflection on your own social location and the social benefits and privileges it affords you, as well as reflection and analysis on others with different social locations from you (as MSW programs typically encourage students to do), your perspective on the importance of some people receiving funding in order to be able to attend school could change over time. Some food for thought. :)

This is is very true. I was talking to a professor in the MSW program and she told me that a lot of the students actually come from well-off financial backgrounds (e.g. they had support from their parents throughout their undergraduate). She was just telling me this because I was so curious as to how people got so much volunteer experience coming out of their undergrad - especially with full time-studies and having a job. 

Okay, so I have no idea what ROSI is lol. I did my undergrad at York, and before i got accepted i would read all these people getting accepted through ROSI and my admissions application page still said (and still does say) "under review". Im assuming now that I have a UofT student number ill be able to log into this ROSI page..havent had time to look at it yet though!

haha... here you go 

https://sws.rosi.utoronto.ca/sws/auth/login.do?main.dispatch

your student id can be found on your application page and your password it shows you how to access it.

haha... here you go 

https://sws.rosi.utoronto.ca/sws/auth/login.do?main.dispatch

your student id can be found on your application page and your password it shows you how to access it.

Much appreciated. Was gonna devote some time today to sit down and figure this ROSI thing out.

I agree with the surprise over lack of interviews! I did an interview with St. Thomas (over the phone, because I couldn't go to New Brunswick for a day..) and it was actually a great experience. They said in it that they are one of the few schools left who do interviews and that they all love the process. My interview went really really well, and I am pretty confident that it is a large part of why I got in! (I don't think my "social problems analysis test" went as well). I know it's a huge burden to interview so many people, but it was a great process for me as an applicant and would have been awesome to be able to do with schools like U of T or Laurier.

This is is very true. I was talking to a professor in the MSW program and she told me that a lot of the students actually come from well-off financial backgrounds (e.g. they had support from their parents throughout their undergraduate). She was just telling me this because I was so curious as to how people got so much volunteer experience coming out of their undergrad - especially with full time-studies and having a job. 

Such a pertinent point! I wouldn't have nearly as much experience if I hadn't been lucky enough to get a paying job "in" (more like adjacent to, but in an organization who was super happy to let me work with the social worker on staff when I didn't have stuff to do in my actual role) the field. Plus I've stretched myself thin over my time in undergrad volunteering AND working part time for the past four years, and I'm sure at the very least my academics took a hit, but volunteering is important to me.

Especially with all this bullshit of the "unpaid internships" which is super aggravating. So I can only imagine the whole volunteer experience preferences lead to people who have been able to get those experiences because they haven't had to work as much while in school. It's a very annoying/frustrating conundrum!

Re: the interviews, I wonder what the reason is for not conducting them. It's pretty standard to have interviews for programs in which you work with vulnerable populations (i.e. medicine, clinical psychology, occupational therapy all have interviews etc). There's only so much that can be conveyed with a written statement, and don't get me wrong I think the written statement is invaluable, but being able to demonstrate your sociability and passion for social work in person would be really nice :)

Fenris70 - Definitely not the case for me.  I grew up in severe poverty, got married at 20, had 3 children, and since then have used OSAP, loans, and my wonderful husband's income to get through a 4 year undergrad, a 1 year BSW, and now heading into my final degree, the advanced standing MSW.  And I got approx. 3000 volunteer hours during the time period I was in school.  It can be done and I have definitely had no financial help from my parents.

Fenris70 - Definitely not the case for me.  I grew up in severe poverty, got married at 20, had 3 children, and since then have used OSAP, loans, and my wonderful husband's income to get through a 4 year undergrad, a 1 year BSW, and now heading into my final degree, the advanced standing MSW.  And I got approx. 3000 volunteer hours during the time period I was in school.  It can be done and I have definitely had no financial help from my parents.

Congrats on your acceptance into the advance standing!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your one year BSW from? 

It looks like I'll be heading to Lakehead for a one year BSW and am worried because I assume that I will be applying for advanced standing MSW in October 2015 (I don't know if you can apply to regular standing 2-year MSW if your do a BSW?) and I don't start my practicum until January 2016, which is after you submit your applications to pretty much all the programs.

It seems like it would be difficult (if not more difficult) to get accepted into a advanced standing MSW after competing a one-year BSW (especially if I don't start the practicum until after I submit the application – In January 2016).

If you don't mind me asking, what were your experiences like? 

It looks like I'll be heading to Lakehead for a one year BSW and am worried because I assume that I will be applying for advanced standing MSW in October 2015 (I don't know if you can apply to regular standing 2-year MSW if your do a BSW?) and I don't start my practicum until January 2016, which is after you submit your applications to pretty much all the programs.

It seems like it would be difficult (if not more difficult) to get accepted into a advanced standing MSW after competing a one-year BSW (especially if I don't start the practicum until after I submit the application – In January 2016).

FYI There were at least 1 or 2 people on this forum who are currently completing the Lakehead HBSW who were also accepted to an advanced standing MSW program for Sept 2015. Can't remember who

FYI There were at least 1 or 2 people on this forum who are currently completing the Lakehead HBSW who were also accepted to an advanced standing MSW program for Sept 2015. Can't remember who

Oh really! Thats amazing! I'll have to try and get in touch with them. 

Thank you! 

I think you'll find the opposite - getting into the advanced standing has been WAY easier for me, and I have a 1 year BSW.  You're entering a pool of fewer applicants for the same/more spaces and you have more schools open to you (like Dalhousie and Ryerson, which don't do non-BSW programs).

If you dig a little deeper, you'll find that many '4 year bsw' programs actually start in 3rd year of a 4 year degree, so most people are in the same boat as you would be.  I highly recommend doing a BSW if you have any trouble getting into a 2 year MSW - it can take the same amt. of time overall (or close to it), and you can benefit from improved grades, improved references and definitely an improved personal statement.

You are totally on the right track - don't be afraid of the advanced standing programs.  Obviously the dream would be to just dive right into the MSW, but I know that I have benefitted greatly from my BSW experience, in terms of MSW eligibility.

I think you'll find the opposite - getting into the advanced standing has been WAY easier for me, and I have a 1 year BSW.  You're entering a pool of fewer applicants for the same/more spaces and you have more schools open to you (like Dalhousie and Ryerson, which don't do non-BSW programs).

If you dig a little deeper, you'll find that many '4 year bsw' programs actually start in 3rd year of a 4 year degree, so most people are in the same boat as you would be.  I highly recommend doing a BSW if you have any trouble getting into a 2 year MSW - it can take the same amt. of time overall (or close to it), and you can benefit from improved grades, improved references and definitely an improved personal statement.

You are totally on the right track - don't be afraid of the advanced standing programs.  Obviously the dream would be to just dive right into the MSW, but I know that I have benefitted greatly from my BSW experience, in terms of MSW eligibility.

Where did you complete your 1 Year BSW?

That all sounds amazing! For a while, I thought it might of been silly to apply to the Advance standing while starting up in a 1-year HBSW. But, now I am positive that it is the right move! Thank so much for sharing! 

That all sounds amazing! For a while, I thought it might of been silly to apply to the Advance standing while starting up in a 1-year HBSW. But, now I am positive that it is the right move! Thank so much for sharing! 

It also really shows your dedication to the field of social work, which i know they really look at!

I ended up doing it at UWaterloo.

I am considering this as a back up plan. I would take one year off as I only applied to U of T and it looks like I will not be getting in. I have a four year degree from Brock in child and Youth studies. I am wondering about the prerequisites that they list online. 

I have stats and research methods, but I don't have much in terms of specific social work courses (which is why i want to take the post grad BSW) How will they consider this? Did you have to take a bunch of classes that fill these prereqs or what? I am a bit confused. My degree is very social sciences but I have like zero socwk classes, where does this leave me in terms of my chance of getting in? 

Thank you so much!

I am considering this as a back up plan. I would take one year off as I only applied to U of T and it looks like I will not be getting in. I have a four year degree from Brock in child and Youth studies. I am wondering about the prerequisites that they list online. 

I have stats and research methods, but I don't have much in terms of specific social work courses (which is why i want to take the post grad BSW) How will they consider this? Did you have to take a bunch of classes that fill these prereqs or what? I am a bit confused. My degree is very social sciences but I have like zero socwk classes, where does this leave me in terms of my chance of getting in? 

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I did spend about a year doing the prerequisites even though I had a humanities degree.

Having the prerequisites isn't a factor for being accepted, they're just prerequisites.  So you do need to have these exact classes or equivalent, but if you're only missing a couple you can be accepted pending your completing them.  

This is essentially why Uwaterloo's program is 10 months to other schools' 2 years (York, for example).  However, the prerequisites are all available online, so I did them while working.

If I remember correctly from when I applied, they had a list of pre-approved transferrable courses.  I needed to do 9/10 prerequisites, but some people needed only a couple depending on your major.

ETA: My university stats course only counted for the SDS250, and some other courses I thought would be equivalent were deemed not to be, but you will need course outlines to determine them if you went to a smaller school or out of province, so make sure you keep those!

Edited by wxyyyz

Yeah, I did spend about a year doing the prerequisites even though I had a humanities degree.

Having the prerequisites isn't a factor for being accepted, they're just prerequisites.  So you do need to have these exact classes or equivalent, but if you're only missing a couple you can be accepted pending your completing them.  

This is essentially why Uwaterloo's program is 10 months to other schools' 2 years (York, for example).  However, the prerequisites are all available online, so I did them while working.

If I remember correctly from when I applied, they had a list of pre-approved transferrable courses.  I needed to do 9/10 prerequisites, but some people needed only a couple depending on your major.

I REALLY appreciate your help. I will likely be up there in doing 9 or so. Although, I think I have what will count as a stats and a social research. I hope! Had you taken any stats/ research methods courses? I am hoping mine will count as equivalent. How did you find doing them online? Was it easy to reach the 75% avg to be accepted into the program? Also, do they make you do a placement in waterloo, I am wondering if it may be possible to just drive up the two days for class (they say only in class on Thur and Friday) and potentially do a placement in Niagara where I am from. 

I really appreciate you answering my questions. If you aren't comfy answering my question regarding maintaining the avg, feel free to PM me!

I REALLY appreciate your help. I will likely be up there in doing 9 or so. Although, I think I have what will count as a stats and a social research. I hope! Had you taken any stats/ research methods courses? I am hoping mine will count as equivalent. How did you find doing them online? Was it easy to reach the 75% avg to be accepted into the program? Also, do they make you do a placement in waterloo, I am wondering if it may be possible to just drive up the two days for class (they say only in class on Thur and Friday) and potentially do a placement in Niagara where I am from. 

I really appreciate you answering my questions. If you aren't comfy answering my question regarding maintaining the avg, feel free to PM me!

also, where might I find the pre-approved transferrable courses? thanks!

also, where might I find the pre-approved transferrable courses? thanks!

I dug pretty deep and can't find a list.  

However, I was looking into the prerequisites a while ago and maybe they've gotten rid of that or maybe I imagined it.

Looks like you have to contact them directly now.