Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I got waitlisted at U of T!!!!!! got my letter this morning!!! I can;t believe how excited I am for a wait list lol!!!

Yay AMetallo! Fingers crossed for you that lots of people decline their places!!

Sending positive vibes your way :)

Sure, it's 15 hours/week first semester and 9 hours/week second semester plus 3 days of practicum (unless you do summer classes or summer practicum)

Do you think it's anywhere in the neighborhood of realistic to retain a part-time job while in the program?

I would love it if I could continue working one or two days a week.

Yay AMetallo! Fingers crossed for you that lots of people decline their places!!

Sending positive vibes your way :)

Thanks so much!!! I really hope I'll be joining everything this year in the program! I got accepted to Lakehead for HBSW and because it starts in July I really need to find out before then! I don't want to pass up the HBSW opportunity incase I don't get into U of T but I will keep my hopes up until mid June:).

Hi everyone! I am currently in the 2-year MSW at UofT.  I was decently active on this forum last year (and checked it obsessively) so I thought I'd stop by to see if anyone had any questions in their decision-making, etc.

Hey welcome. I was wondering what the classes are like? How many people are in classes? What are the professors and course work like? I'm so excited to be attending in September. I still need to get my  student card and living sorted. 

Congratulations! Can you let us know what your ROSI and SGS say? I know SGS usually takes longer to change.

SGS still says under review honestly some programs don't even change those for a while. I got rejected from the U of T OISE Counseling Psych program about like three weeks ago and it still says under review!

I got waitlisted at U of T!!!!!! got my letter this morning!!! I can;t believe how excited I am for a wait list lol!!!

Congrats! That must be exciting! Where about are you from in Canada (so I can predict when I might receive a letter) :)

Thanks so much!!! I really hope I'll be joining everything this year in the program! I got accepted to Lakehead for HBSW and because it starts in July I really need to find out before then! I don't want to pass up the HBSW opportunity incase I don't get into U of T but I will keep my hopes up until mid June:).

I am worried I will end up in the same boat! 

Fingers crossed for you! :)

They don't release that info and they also won't tell you where you rank in the waitlist

Ugh I know that makes me so nervous that they don't rank the waitlist. Cause you literally have no idea what the odds are.

Ugh I know that makes me so nervous that they don't rank the waitlist. Cause you literally have no idea what the odds are.

Laurier indicated in their email that the wait list is not ranked and that the committee would review all applications when considering wait list candidates. Maybe U of T follows a similar method!

I need help!

I am not sure if I want to get a PhD  in clinical psychology or social work. I've currently been accepted into both programs. Both programs will take me 6 years to complete (2 years for masters, 4 years for doctorate).

I am really interested in research, and would really like my education to position me to be a well versed researcher. Any thoughts would be helpful. 

I need help!

I am not sure if I want to get a PhD  in clinical psychology or social work. I've currently been accepted into both programs. Both programs will take me 6 years to complete (2 years for masters, 4 years for doctorate).

I am really interested in research, and would really like my education to position me to be a well versed researcher. Any thoughts would be helpful. 

I didn't know that social work had combined MSW+PhD programs. Where did you apply? I thought that only existed for clinical psych.

I need help!

I didn't know that social work had combined MSW+PhD programs. Where did you apply? I thought that only existed for clinical psych.

No it isn't a combined MSW+Phd. I plan on pursuing a PhD after my MSW. 

Then it depends entirely what you want to do. A PhD in psychology would lead to a very different career than a PhD is social work. Do you want to be a psychologist? Do you want to teach, do direct practice, or do research? A PhD in clinical psych will entail 6 years of mostly research-intensive work. What would a PhD in social work do for you that an MSW + years of work experience wouldn't do? Unless you want to teach or do research, why do the PhD in social work? A PhD in psychology is a significant and distinct credential compared to a master's of clinical psych. I don't know much about the differentiation between an MSW and a PhD in social work, aside from teaching/research... and if that's what you want to do, then your choice of clinical psych/social work will depend on what you want to teach and research. Maybe other people on this board know more about the opportunities afforded by a PhD in social work.

As one idea, I found it really useful to look at the degree requirements between different grad programs and to deeply reflect on whether the courses interested me, excited me, and aligned with my interests and goals

I had been considering doing a master's of public administration or public policy, but when I looked at the degree requirements I literally thought "UGH, no!" when I looked at each course. I was interested in policy from a social justice, social work, community development perspective. When I looked into MSW programs and looked at the courses I'd take, I felt excited and motivated and interested.

So it's not an exact science, but for me, that was telling. Yes, sometimes you need to do things that don't interest you to pursue your goals. But I literally did not want to do ANY of the MPA courses.

There would be a similarly stark different between MA/MSc clinical psych programs and MSW programs. Although I guess if you're interested in everything, it'll be a bit more difficult!! Good luck with your decision.

Did anyone else receive a letter from U of T - rejection or wait list? I do not have an update on ROSI or any mail.

If it helps my letter came this morning as I was leaving for work. It says that we have until May 8th to let them know if we want to stay on waitlist and that they don't rank us and bla bla.

Hey guys so I need opinions!

I am currently accepted into Lakehead HBSW and waitlisted at U of T MSW. I'm so afraid that I will get accepted off the waitlist AFTER classes have started and than I can't back out because tuition has to be paid in full for Lakehead by July 2nd. So this is what I'm thinking and would like some opinion/advice.

For Lakehead you have to pay FULL tuition by July 2nd and if you don't you get a late fee payment of $79 at the end of every month.
Anyways, so I'm thinking (I don't know how this will work with OSAP though so I have to figure that out), but I'm thinking miss my tuition payment for July and August (if I'm not rejected or accepted by U of T yet) and than If I do get accepted all I'm loosing is close to $200 plus whatever I pay for books that semester. To me that seems worth it if I were to get accepted. Cause I think my heart will break if Im accepted and Ive already paid tuition for Lakehead

OR

If I'm not accepted by July 2nd I ask U of T to remove me off the waitlist so I don't cry if I get accepted and it's too late. I figure these are my only two options unless of course I get accepted off waitlist before July 2nd that would be a dream come true lol. So I just wanted to know what peoples take was on this?

Thanks everyone:)

I am currently accepted into Lakehead HBSW and waitlisted at U of T MSW. I'm so afraid that I will get accepted off the waitlist AFTER classes have started and than I can't back out because tuition has to be paid in full for Lakehead by July 2nd. So this is what I'm thinking and would like some opinion/advice.

For Lakehead you have to pay FULL tuition by July 2nd and if you don't you get a late fee payment of $79 at the end of every month.
Anyways, so I'm thinking (I don't know how this will work with OSAP though so I have to figure that out), but I'm thinking miss my tuition payment for July and August (if I'm not rejected or accepted by U of T yet) and than If I do get accepted all I'm loosing is close to $200 plus whatever I pay for books that semester. To me that seems worth it if I were to get accepted. Cause I think my heart will break if Im accepted and Ive already paid tuition for Lakehead

OR

If I'm not accepted by July 2nd I ask U of T to remove me off the waitlist so I don't cry if I get accepted and it's too late. I figure these are my only two options unless of course I get accepted off waitlist before July 2nd that would be a dream come true lol. So I just wanted to know what peoples take was on this?

Honestly smpalesh gave this advice to the other poster who is in the exact same position as you:

Pick one and go with it (smpalesh said it better, but still)

Wait until mid-June and see if you are off the waitlist for U of T. If not, commit to going to Lakehead. Take your name off the waitlist at U of T, pay your tuition at Lakehead, and do the HBSW.

I understand where you're coming from with option 1, but seriously, there is someone out there who would LOVE to go to Lakehead's HBSW. With Option 1, you're taking up a spot in two programs. Nobody could take your place at Lakehead after the program has started. So yes you're only personally out $200, but you're not doing any favours to the school and are literally delaying another person's life plans by a full year. Going to Lakehead and then doing advanced standing will still take you 2 years.. you aren't getting behind by doing it, by any means.

So... that's my two cents. I imagine it's really hard to do, but I think the "right" and fair thing to do is to pick one and go with it, and give someone else the chance to have your spot (either on the U of T waitlist or at Lakehead).

Waitlisted for Uoft today via snailmail. Bleh, waitlisted for York earlier too and these were the only schools I applied too. I am proud to be in this position in a sense, but it ain't cute to be in this totally helpless spot knowing that my application is not quite good enough.

OR

By mid-August you will have completed 3 full credits at Lakehead, so you'd also be on the hook for those. It won't be just $200.