Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I applied to do an MPP at U of T and my status today changed to 'Decision Made'. There's nothing in the mail though. Anyone have an idea if they typically hand out rejections this early on?

Edit: sorry, didn't realize this thread was for MSW. My bad.

Edited by JTMurray

HI yweang!

I am not worried. I actually got into two universities and have accepted one and leaning towards it. It just makes the decision much easier to have all the responses; be it acceptance or rejections. 

Also, I heard some MSW programs taking a statistics course is mandatory such as Windor's MSW.. anyone know if this is true, and also what other MSW schools require you take a statistics course?

It is true but most require a research course instead ( windsor wants both). For UofT for instance their masters program require you to have a research course with atleast a mid-b, however when I went to the information sessions she said usually you should have a A in a research course because that weighs a lot on your admission. Notice at Uoft one of the requirement on its own its to have a mid- b Ina research course so it matters a lot

It is true but most require a research course instead ( windsor wants both). For UofT for instance their masters program require you to have a research course with atleast a mid-b, however when I went to the information sessions she said usually you should have a A in a research course because that weighs a lot on your admission. Notice at Uoft one of the requirement on its own its to have a mid- b Ina research course so it matters a lot

I have an A- :'( initiating sadness

Hi Everybody,

I've applied to U of T and Laurier for the 2 year MSW program, and to U of Windsor for the 32 month MSW Program for Working Professionals.

I received an e-mail yesterday from U of Windsor stating I was accepted to the program, but still haven't heard anything from U of T or Laurier. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back yet. I know we might not hear back until mid March/early April - but the anticipation is killing me lol.

Hi Everybody,

I've applied to U of T and Laurier for the 2 year MSW program, and to U of Windsor for the 32 month MSW Program for Working Professionals.

I received an e-mail yesterday from U of Windsor stating I was accepted to the program, but still haven't heard anything from U of T or Laurier. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back yet. I know we might not hear back until mid March/early April - but the anticipation is killing me lol.

Hi sondrealizabeth so far I have not heard anything from U of T or Laurier either! I feel as though we are a very eager bunch of applicants this year haha

I was not able to attend the information sessions this year - was there anything else U of T commented on that they highly consider? I am aware they do look at applicants with a holistic view, but it is interesting to hear the different factors that universities base their decisions on when it comes down to selecting applicants. 

With that in mind, did anyone attend Laurier's information session?

I was not able to attend the information sessions this year - was there anything else U of T commented on that they highly consider? I am aware they do look at applicants with a holistic view, but it is interesting to hear the different factors that universities base their decisions on when it comes down to selecting applicants. 

I attended the two year information session. It was kind of just reviewing the application process and admission requirements. It was helpful in that regard. Otherwise it just briefly touched on the program layout and such.

I've been looking for ways to cope with the anxiety brought on by the prospect of not getting accepted (I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.)

Just now, I made an intensive list of everything I could do with a year off for both personal growth as well as academic benefit for future applications (i.e. finally read the entire harry potter series (I haven't, don't judge), take up regular meditation, have months to focus on writing amazing mission statements for next round of applications, etc.). Writing the list was the first thing that helped me feel better about the idea of not getting in, which I have to accept is a very possible reality. 

I just thought I'd share because I think it's a very valuable exercise if this application process is really getting to you as it is to me!  :)

sondrelizabeth-do you mind if I ask when you handed in your application to u of Windsor (for working professionals)? I"m waiting on my response from that program as well :)

Congrats!

I am so tired of the daily wondering if I will hear from u of t. This month long possibility of having my hope go up and down is exhausting.

Stay strong! Do self-care :3 the wait is almost over ...

I have an A- :'( initiating sadness

At UOfT ( am a current student) that's an A still A- to A+ is good. But anything under 80 is where they don't usually like to accept for the research course we were told

Edited by MSW-UofT

I've been looking for ways to cope with the anxiety brought on by the prospect of not getting accepted (I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.)

Just now, I made an intensive list of everything I could do with a year off for both personal growth as well as academic benefit for future applications (i.e. finally read the entire harry potter series (I haven't, don't judge), take up regular meditation, have months to focus on writing amazing mission statements for next round of applications, etc.). Writing the list was the first thing that helped me feel better about the idea of not getting in, which I have to accept is a very possible reality. 

I just thought I'd share because I think it's a very valuable exercise if this application process is really getting to you as it is to me!  :)

Thanks for sharing this exercise with us. It sounds very helpful. My anxiety has been over the roof with not knowing and the anticipation of finding out. I will be sure to try this! 

Does anyone know anyone who got into U of T with a B+ in research methods?

I have heard of people but I heard it just makes your chances lower because they are more research based and they want to ensure you can do research. I am not a huge fan of grades determining ability because an individual may be very good at something but may not be able to perform on test. But it's not unheard of Edited by MSW-UofT

At UOfT ( am a current student) that's an A still A- to A+ is good. But anything under 80 is where they don't usually like to accept for the research course we were told

I really appreciate you clarifying :) thank you! I was already looking into courses I could take via correspondence to bump the mark if I don't get in.

we usually need to take two research courses in most of social science programs, As long as you have one course that says "A" or 3.7 above, you are fine. U of T doesn't care what research course you take, can be quantative or qualitative or just general stats...

U of t asks for three references, one from course instructor, one from placement coordinator or supervisor ( can be your placement course instructor as wel), and one from your  employer or research supervisor. if your research supervisor can provide you with a good recommandation letter, I think that can really help you get into the program, All three referees should hold at least a master degree, and at least one of them should have  PHD/MD degree. U of T is very strict about the education level of your referees.

Really yweang where did it say all the referees must have a minimum masters degree ?

It doesnt say it, BUT if you want your academic referees to be credible and valuable then they should be a PHD grad (its an unwritten rule) 

Really the research course, grades, good statements and references which most are things people know. The only thing I think people don't think weigh a lot is the research course which is does. Think about it, the research course is one of the three requirement to qualify for the program. Therefore, it has a huge baring on your application in my opinion and she also said so when I went to see them at the social work department one day I was on campus