Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

hey everyone do you know if ryerson typically offers funding? i wanted to wait to see what ryerson said but i have a limited number of days before accepting york. thanks!

It says on their website that TA assist ships are sometimes available but it does not go into detail. I hope we hear soon!!

That must be really tough Bettyg, I can't even imagine having all that added stress/pressure on top of this process. I hope you start getting some responses soon. 

All of this varying information from UofT is making my head spin I hate feeling like I have no control over my life :(

Job searching only makes me yearn for my MSW even more, getting jobs in the field with a BA is a serious wake up call...

I hope everyone is taking good care of themselves, in an effort to cheer myself up I remind myself only 14 more business days until April! 

Thanks, but don't feel too bad for me! :)  I have come to terms with the possibility of not getting in and I have a backup plan I am pretty excited about so it's more just the fact I want the waiting to be over so I can move on with my life. 

I moved abroad pretty much immediately after graduation, so I have no idea what the job market is like in Ontario. I have a BASc in Adult Development with a minor in Child and Family Studies from Guelph. I think I probably made the right decision to come to the UK, as there seems to be more opportunities for unqualified workers in human services. I'm working in a front line child protection team and there are four of us on my team in social work roles without social work qualifications, and many of my colleagues in other teams are in direct work roles with caseholding responsibility, without qualification. So I guess the UK has a different setup than Ontario and I lucked out by ending up here. 

I was reading last year's discussion (I know... I need a life LOL) and there seems to be a lot of discussion around experience hours. I know I can't improve anything now anyways but I am just wondering where everyone else sits with this? I know the depth and scope of your experience is more important than just the number of hours but it might be interesting to see. 

I applied with about 3000 for work, 480 for volunteer, and about 400 for undergrad practicum. I also included 2 slightly dodgy work experiences that total 1500, but I am not sure will count as they aren't related to social work (nanny and working in a kids after school program... reaching here a little bit but i threw it on anyways). 

Thanks, but don't feel too bad for me! :)  I have come to terms with the possibility of not getting in and I have a backup plan I am pretty excited about so it's more just the fact I want the waiting to be over so I can move on with my life. 

I moved abroad pretty much immediately after graduation, so I have no idea what the job market is like in Ontario. I have a BASc in Adult Development with a minor in Child and Family Studies from Guelph. I think I probably made the right decision to come to the UK, as there seems to be more opportunities for unqualified workers in human services. I'm working in a front line child protection team and there are four of us on my team in social work roles without social work qualifications, and many of my colleagues in other teams are in direct work roles with caseholding responsibility, without qualification. So I guess the UK has a different setup than Ontario and I lucked out by ending up here. 

Its great to hear that you were able to go to the UK and work! It's something ive thought about doing down the road.  And I don't know what the job hunting experience has been like for other people but for me I found it extremely difficult to find paid work in the field.  I love volunteering and that worked for me during school but i'm in need of paid work now (as we all are).  It's been a frustrating process, most positions require an MSW it seems.

Not sure if you mentioned this before or not but which schools have you applied to? Good luck ! :)

Its great to hear that you were able to go to the UK and work! It's something ive thought about doing down the road.  And I don't know what the job hunting experience has been like for other people but for me I found it extremely difficult to find paid work in the field.  I love volunteering and that worked for me during school but i'm in need of paid work now (as we all are).  It's been a frustrating process, most positions require an MSW it seems.

Not sure if you mentioned this before or not but which schools have you applied to? Good luck ! :)

I applied to U of T, McGill and Laurier. Good luck to you too... not long to go now either way :)

I was reading last year's discussion (I know... I need a life LOL) and there seems to be a lot of discussion around experience hours. I know I can't improve anything now anyways but I am just wondering where everyone else sits with this? I know the depth and scope of your experience is more important than just the number of hours but it might be interesting to see.

I applied with about 3000 for work, 480 for volunteer, and about 400 for undergrad practicum. I also included 2 slightly dodgy work experiences that total 1500, but I am not sure will count as they aren't related to social work (nanny and working in a kids after school program... reaching here a little bit but i threw it on anyways).

Hi Betty !

I think your experience is great and I applaud your courage to start a job in the UK ! That sounds like a great experience !

I have similar experience:

550 hours as a nanny

1000 hours working at the alzheimer society

170 hours for my practicum

70 hours for a social worker internship

100 hours at Big brothers big sisters

100 hours in a child learning centre

500 hours at a hospice

1000 hours as a soccer coach and soccer camp instructor (not really related but though I'd add it to my resume)

I put a note on my reference that the alzheimer society is a contract position and I will accumulate 1900 hours by June. I hope they will take that into consideration but after hearing people re submitting their resume it really makes me want to resubmit one with extra hours.

Christina

Edited by Christina2

Hey, for those who have been waitlisted at Carleton when you emailed Sue Brady stating that you were interested in remaining on the waitlist, did you receive a reply? I haven't received any news regarding this waitlist. I know someone above posted that Carleton keeps about 10-12 people on the waitlist, but can this be confirmed? Also, does anyone know if we will find out what number we are on the waitlist? 

I always felt like if I got waitlisted it would be nearly impossible to actually get a spot (UofT especially) but for Carleton it seems somewhat reasonable. Is there anyone who got accepted to Carleton for the 2 year program on here that isn't accepting their offer? 

Hey, for those who have been waitlisted at Carleton when you emailed Sue Brady stating that you were interested in remaining on the waitlist, did you receive a reply? I haven't received any news regarding this waitlist. I know someone above posted that Carleton keeps about 10-12 people on the waitlist, but can this be confirmed? Also, does anyone know if we will find out what number we are on the waitlist? 

I always felt like if I got waitlisted it would be nearly impossible to actually get a spot (UofT especially) but for Carleton it seems somewhat reasonable. Is there anyone who got accepted to Carleton for the 2 year program on here that isn't accepting their offer? 

I never got a response from her conforming so about a week after I emailed her.   I just wanted to make sure my email didn't get lost in a mass of emails.  She just responded with yes its been received so i assume she was just very busy at that time.  I don't know if you noticed in the email though it said that she would be emailing us to tell us what was "flagged" in our application by the committee. Still nothing.

And in terms of how likely it is to get off the waitlist im really not sure, I was also wondering what the chances are that we would get a good funding package from off the waitlist...? just more waiting waiting and waiting :( the worst part is having just graduated and being so uncertain about what september will hold, school or do i have to look for work, will i be moving...its all up in the air.

Yes, I contacted Sue Brady and she said 10 were put on the waitlist. She said if we want to know what number we are then we need to call up first week of April but not before then and they will not be releasing what number you are on the waitlist until then. 

Btw do you think it would be beneficial to send an updated resume ? We did include our hours up until the start of the program but I'm just wondering if there's something we could be doing to help out our case.

Getting ranked sounds like a scary experience haha

Edited by goodnews

I'm not sure what this whole controversy regarding the hours are. When I submitted by CV I gave all my hours up until August 30th 2015.  UofT, Carleton, and Laurier had told me that I could put the expected hours until I would start the program in September 2015. For example, where I work it is contract work and I have a contract until August 30th therefore I included all those hours. As per my volunteering hours, I ended them as of April 30th since I am graduating. Personally for me, it is not necessary to send an updated version of my CV but if you think it would benefit you I would definitely do it. Anything to make your application look better. 

Well on this forum, we know 3/10 that are on the waitlist so lets hope we are all number 1,2,3 :) 

Btw do you think it would be beneficial to send an updated resume ? We did include our hours up until the start of the program but I'm just wondering if there's something we could be doing to help out our case.

Getting ranked sounds like a scary experience haha

Thank you! I will definitely be calling her. I think I'm going to email regarding the "flags" on our application. I'm slightly confused though, if we were "flaged" (which is a scary term) why were we waitlisted and not rejected? I'll keep you all updated on what she says. 

Yes, I contacted Sue Brady and she said 10 were put on the waitlist. She said if we want to know what number we are then we need to call up first week of April but not before then and they will not be releasing what number you are on the waitlist until then. 

Here is the thing, Carleton has 10 people on wait list but they only going to accept 20 students per year. U of T put 40 students on waitlist but they have 80 spots. The odd is almost the same....

In regards to experience hours it depends on the school as to how important they are.  Laurier is very strict about the hours.  Usually people accepted will have more than the bare minimum that they post on their website.  UofT on the other hand views it as one part of a total application and is a lot less likely to reject an applicant for not having enough experience.

Any other UBCers? I received an email today about an orientation in April in Vancouver which isn't mentioned during the application process at all. Maybe I'm the only one who lives outside of the lower mainland but it's going to be quite a long trip for only a couple hours on a Monday evening. I'm excited I don't have to wait as long to meet everyone now though :)

This is the answer I got from Sue regarding my question about being waitlisted and what being "flagged" meant. It's not super insightful but I thought I'd post it anyway.  

Hello ********, we are just now hearing back from the 1st round offer candidates.   Until we hear from them we cannot determine the ranking of the Waitlisted candidates.   Your response was received and you are on the waitlist.We can and do go to the waitlist throughout the summer because sometimes candidates change their minds late,  about attending the program.   So yes you will remain on the list all summer. We are hoping to be able to review the waitlisted candidates for possible conditions.  I will be emailing the waitlisted candidates hopefully by the end of next week.

Sue

I was accepted to the one year program @ Carleton. My response was needed by today(21 days from date of offer). I only responded yesterday... I am guessing depending on when others were offered, their response would be needed 21 days from then....They probably want to get a number of responses before offering second round of admissions....I'd say give it some time before contacting these people.......

Good luck everyone, hope you hear some good news....

zebra_mountain - Orientations are usually not mandatory so I would ask the school about it.  I know UofT has an orientation day in April but it is definitely not mandatory.

Just a heads up for everyone who applied to Windsor. I just checked the forums from last year and the first round of acceptances went out March 14. Last year that day landed on a Friday so tomorrow could be the day !!!!!

Just a heads up for everyone who applied to Windsor. I just checked the forums from last year and the first round of acceptances went out March 14. Last year that day landed on a Friday so tomorrow could be the day !!!!!

Thanks so much for posting that! I couldn't figure out anything about Windsor and never got an email reply!

@purplegrey --I was accepted to the Carleton 2 year and I have accepted my offer. I think the only other person on here who was accepted is Bagheera, I believe it was also her intention to accept.