Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Question- is anyone else here coming from a child and youth worker/child and youth care background? 

I am coming from a child and youth background.  Currently, I am employed in a treatment home for adolescent males and I work as an educational assistant with the school board.

I just wanted to let people here that are waiting know that someone I know was accepted to Ryerson Advanced Standing today.

Ahh!! I just want to know!! Anyone else get an actual letter from Ryerson opposed to a vague email?

I got the same email.... I am going to go crazy now for the next 24 hours....

I got this email too. It sounds extremely positive - but still, vague.

In the case this is an acceptance, can anyone help me decide between Ryerson and York  be (1 year program)? They both are critical perspectives, I know. 

I got this email too. It sounds extremely positive - but still, vague.

In the case this is an acceptance, can anyone help me decide between Ryerson and York  be (1 year program)? They both are critical perspectives, I know. 

honestly I think it comes down to practical stuff - funding, location (downtown v. north york), placement options (although york and ryerson have a lot of overlap in placement options).  Ryerson has more elective options, but they're not all available each year.  Faculty perhaps, although it's not a given you will work with any particular prof.

Otherwise if those things really don't matter to you (esp. the first 2), then go with your heart.  In the end, while your placement may provide some jumping off points, employers aren't usually looking at your school when they look for your MSW on a resume.

If anyone got accepted to U of T advanced standing I am just wondering how long after your ROSI updated did you see an update on sgs/an email/letter in mail? I am just hoping to hear through another medium because ROSI update alone does not seem fully official!

Second this question! :)

I was accepted into the Advanced Standing at UofT last year (deferred to this year).  I don't know how long the Invite status was up on ROSI.  I didn't check until March 3 and it said Invited.  I got the big package in the mail on March 6.  My status on sgs didn't change to Decision Made until 2.5 weeks after that.  Don't worry, if it says Invited you are 100% accepted!

Hey, current u of t student applying for the 2-year MSW here who would very, very much appreciate a heads up from anyone of the Invited crowd when either (a) your SGS status changes or ( b ) you get your letter in the mail.

Whichever comes first. :)

Edited by Rox

It seems that the Ryerson system updated! I got accepted with a funding package of 5k.. not sure if it is a scholarship/TA position or combination of both. Apparently I will receive a letter with more details.

Edited by sdp732

honestly I think it comes down to practical stuff - funding, location (downtown v. north york), placement options (although york and ryerson have a lot of overlap in placement options).  Ryerson has more elective options, but they're not all available each year.  Faculty perhaps, although it's not a given you will work with any particular prof.

Otherwise if those things really don't matter to you (esp. the first 2), then go with your heart.  In the end, while your placement may provide some jumping off points, employers aren't usually looking at your school when they look for your MSW on a resume.

Thanks so much!

It turns out I got accepted to Ryerson too  -I'm considering the points you mentioned and gonna go with York as they offer more funding and I work in North York location. Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who have been offered spots. All the best to you. 

If anyone got accepted to U of T advanced standing I am just wondering how long after your ROSI updated did you see an update on sgs/an email/letter in mail? I am just hoping to hear through another medium because ROSI update alone does not seem fully official!

Second this question! :)

I received my letter (dated Feb. 24th) the first week in March and from there I signed in to ROSI for the first time and it said "invited" - unfortunately I'm not sure how long it took for that change to happen. I'm new to the ROSI system so I'm just learning now! I hope that helps - I will be online today if you have any other questions - I am happy to help if I can! We are getting a blizzard tonight (look up the weather in Eastern Canada) - I hope everyone else has more favorable weather then I. Keep breathing and being kind to yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I received my letter (dated Feb. 24th) the first week in March and from there I signed in to ROSI for the first time and it said "invited" - unfortunately I'm not sure how long it took for that change to happen. I'm new to the ROSI system so I'm just learning now! I hope that helps - I will be online today if you have any other questions - I am happy to help if I can! We are getting a blizzard tonight (look up the weather in Eastern Canada) - I hope everyone else has more favorable weather then I. Keep breathing and being kind to yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have confused myself and am unsure of which portal ROSI is..... I signed into one portal after receiving my letter and it did not change to "decision made" until a day or two after. Then when I signed on to the other portal it said "invited". Not sure which portal is which! 

To those who applied to Laurier (2 year stream) - I emailed them yesterday asking where they were in the process and how we would hear back (I was confused about this) and this was their response: 

Good morning, ____________

Due to the volume of applications we receive for the MSW 2 year fulltime program, our target for having all decisions finalized is early April.  Successful applicants will receive a decision via email, the remaining decisions will be sent via mail.
Regards,
Lynn Beney
Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work
Wilfrid Laurier University
MSW/PhD Graduate Programs
Admissions Office
120 Duke Street, West
Kitchener, ON  N2H 3W8

I have confused myself and am unsure of which portal ROSI is..... I signed into one portal after receiving my letter and it did not change to "decision made" until a day or two after. Then when I signed on to the other portal it said "invited". Not sure which portal is which! 

when you go to www.utoronto.ca a tab on the top says "ROSI", thats basically your main hub regarding your registration, courses, finances and so on.  The other one that is your account with the school of graduate studies where your whole application is as well as your status.  So where it says "invitied" that would be your ROSI!

Hope that helped

Ahh another day! I just really want to know at this point. Waiting sucks. I am now starting to worry that my references weren't strong enough choices for U of T. I wish I could update those now too lol! :( Only time will tell I guess.

First off, Happy St. Paddy's to everyone!!  :):-P 

I was accepted into the Advanced Standing at UofT last year (deferred to this year).  I don't know how long the Invite status was up on ROSI.  I didn't check until March 3 and it said Invited.  I got the big package in the mail on March 6.  My status on sgs didn't change to Decision Made until 2.5 weeks after that.  Don't worry, if it says Invited you are 100% accepted!

Hi smpalesh,

Thank you for letting us know how long it took for your letter to arrive. My letter will be going to my parents house in Barrie, so hopefully it will not take too long from Toronto. Congratulations on U of T Advanced Standing and I hope all works out with your placements and commute! 

Hi littlelass,

Thank you as well for letting us know! I had a bit of freezing rain an hour ago in Eastern Ontario and lots of wind still going on out there. I hope that you stay safe and warm inside your home! Also, congratulations to you as well! 

Do you think it would be a horrible idea to email U of T about the 2 year admissions? I hate to be *that* person. But I am soo curious about how they are doing it. Are they going to release more in 2 days, 2 weeks, NEVER? I doubt they would give us any real information but still. The slightest bit of info would probably help me to chill out. Tea usually calms me down, but I have upped my intake to about 5 cups per work day and I think it is giving me the shakes LOL. 

@Bettyg it's definitely tempting to email or call, but I keep trying to tell myself it's still early. I find it extremely difficult to stay focused and I should pull out the camomile tea and put down the cafe americanos hahah However, I feel so drained from constantly wondering about this that I justify the extra caffeine boost!

Do you think it would be a horrible idea to email U of T about the 2 year admissions? I hate to be *that* person. But I am soo curious about how they are doing it. Are they going to release more in 2 days, 2 weeks, NEVER? I doubt they would give us any real information but still. The slightest bit of info would probably help me to chill out. Tea usually calms me down, but I have upped my intake to about 5 cups per work day and I think it is giving me the shakes LOL. 

Lol if it makes you feel better I sent an email yesterday to inquire about it. I'm "that" person. I feel bad doing it, but I thought I might as well get the information and pass it along considering how nervous we all are - plus I haven't bothered her with anything else this session :P. Kind of wish our power were out here so I couldn't constantly check my status. I'll reply if/when I hear back.

Lol if it makes you feel better I sent an email yesterday to inquire about it. I'm "that" person. I feel bad doing it, but I thought I might as well get the information and pass it along considering how nervous we all are - plus I haven't bothered her with anything else this session :P. Kind of wish our power were out here so I couldn't constantly check my status. I'll reply if/when I hear back.

Ah ok so I am not alone in my insanity :) :) I am glad I asked first, if you can share any info you get here then I won't have to bother her as well. Sending good vibes to everyone. 

I've had such a horrible night. I kept dreaming I was waitlisted for the 2-Year MSW at U of T... Like, non-stop dreams of being waitlisted. Now, I know being waitlisted is 10000000000000000000x better than being rejected, but getting that letter at least 4 times really is a shitty feeling.

I've never been this stressed about an application. May today be the day because I need to get on with my life and normal sleep patterns. D:

I've had such a horrible night. I kept dreaming I was waitlisted for the 2-Year MSW at U of T... Like, non-stop dreams of being waitlisted. Now, I know being waitlisted is 10000000000000000000x better than being rejected, but getting that letter at least 4 times really is a shitty feeling.

I've never been this stressed about an application. May today be the day because I need to get on with my life and normal sleep patterns. D:

I hear you. I haen't been sleeping well. And I've had a couple admissions dreams. I was so happy when I was waitlisted last year (considering I was rejected from Laurier immediately), but after waiting another year and working so hard getting on the waitlist will be good... because there's still hope... but not as good as getting in :P

Hope everyone can hang in and hear good news! - and find something to de-stress during the process :)